• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Inside a Stackmat

a510592

I'll try seeing if changing it around 50 does anything, I remember trying 51, 52, and 53 but it didn't really do anything. I'll try Dan's suggestion, it sounds more like my problem because I think the sound is being distorted from mine.
Like I said, try to keep it around 50 (that's what it says in the documentation, anyhow). Did you try it at 51/52/53? Or 49/48/47? I'm not quite sure what it does, to be honest. You might ask Lucas Garron, I know he currently maintains the project. You might also ask Walter Sousa (might have spelled his name wrong, owner of Prisma Puzzle Timer), as he has included stackmat compatibility in his project.

a510592

I turned it all the way down to zero, and all it did was have a slower response and give random times about every 15-20 seconds instead of every 5-10 seconds. Do you think adjusting the microphone boost would help stop it? I am going to try putting it to zero instead of 10(db) and see what happens, also when I put it up to 51, 52 and 53 it made it worse again.
Yes, to adjust the value go to your mixer settings, and make sure you are on the "Recording" properties, not "Playback."

a510592

Ok so I tried turning off the microphone boost by setting it to 0 db and it helped but didn't eliminate the problem. The random times reduced to only showing up every 20-25 seconds but I couldn't get it to go away by changing the stackmat value setting on cct. It seems to me that 50 is where the random times show up the least. I'm thinking that there needs to be a resistor put into the mod to reduce the distortion of the sounds. Is anyone willing to look into there 2nd gen stackmat to see if it has a resistor anywhere close to the port?

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Just as an attempt to hi-jack this thread away from CCT configuration discussions, and out of general interest:
How did the WCA timer discussion with Speed Stacks go?

A while ago there was some discussion and I think it was determined that it wasn't financially viable.

It'd be good to see some more durable timers on the market...

Tim.

a510592

Haha, I forgot about that :p I think on stefan's picture (the one that shows the back of the circuit board) there is a small resistor beside the jack. Correct me if i'm wrong, does R4 stand for Resistor 4? I think I am going to invest in a couple of different small resistors, any suggestions on how much resistance they should be?
Did you not look at the original pictures in this thread? They are 2nd gen. What values have you tried in the configuration page?

a510592

Does anyone know how big or small of a resistor I should get? I'm sure it's going to be a small resistor, I just need to know how small it is.

a510592

No, the speedstacks company wouldn't give me any info on the timer. So it's been a long time since I have posted anything on here, but I still haven't determined what sized resistor I should get. I am going to try and call my uncle and see what he thinks, then I will buy some from radioshack and let you guys know how it turns out. I'll also make a video on it and post a link here.
Just as an attempt to hi-jack this thread away from CCT configuration discussions, and out of general interest:
How did the WCA timer discussion with Speed Stacks go?

A while ago there was some discussion and I think it was determined that it wasn't financially viable.

It'd be good to see some more durable timers on the market...

Tim.

a510592

Ok so, I asked one of my teachers and my uncle about what resistor I should get and they said it would be anywhere from 100 to 1000 ohm 1/4 watt resistor. I tried a 1/4 watt 330 ohm resistor and it was giving me the same problem every 15 seconds. I think that I will go and buy 2 more packs of resistors, I will try a 100 ohm resistor and something a little less like 50-75 ohms. Hopefully it works. If anyone has any idea of what kind of resistor I should get, please let me know.

a510592

Well the 1st gen stackmats do not have resistors on them because they don't have a built in port. I don't own a second gen stackmat so I can't really test the resistors on it. I am pretty sure it is a 1/4 watt resistor, no clue how many ohms though because there is no color coding on it to my knowledge. I am going to get some 100 ohm resistors today so hopefully it works.

a510592

Ok so I have somewhat of a dilemma, I got the 330 ohms resistors yesterday and they didn't help the problem, I am going to try and get some 1000 ohm resistors instead and see if that works. I don't think getting 100 ohm resistors would help because they would cause less resistance than the original 330 ohm resistor that I tried yesterday, I think 1000 ohms should do the job, but if not I will try to get an even bigger resistor, hopefully the modification will be complete soon. If anyone can tell me how many ohms of resistance I should get please post it here. Cheers!

millerj

Thanks for this post! I would try this on the timer of my stackmat. My younger brother jammed the living day lights out of it. He was too excited timing in and out on the mat that he frequently hit the pad for the hands. better visit the hardware store to get some soldering iron and lead. Again, thanks for your post.

a510592

Lol, that really stinks, your welcome btw, hopefully you learned a thing or two.
Thanks for this post! I would try this on the timer of my stackmat. My younger brother jammed the living day lights out of it. He was too excited timing in and out on the mat that he frequently hit the pad for the hands. better visit the hardware store to get some soldering iron and lead. Again, thanks for your post.

a510592

Ok, so I have reached a new conclusion to my timer mod "bug". I have decided that it is not a resistor that is missing, but maybe more? I have tried the 1000 ohm resistors, but they have not changed the problem at all, actually not even the 330 ohm resistor did anything. I'm not really sure what the problem could be, so if anyone can give me any sort of help my modification video is on page 11 of this thread. It is not that well made so if anyone has any question please ask, also I show the bug near the very end, so you don't need to watch the whole video, although watching the whole thing might be useful because it shows how I set my timer up.