• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Feliks Zemdegs 9.21 3x3x3 average

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mr. Pochmann: Your original post certainly did not imply that you were looking for the difference that bad crosses would make on the times of a CN user. By the looks of it you were suggesting, as I suspected, that you thought a particular colour might make a difference without the solver realising it, thus not being "perfectly CN" or whatever. It is this point which I am certain will lead to the result "no difference". But if that interests you, then I guess the next thing to do is wait for Fazzles to get out of school :p .

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mr. Pochmann
Gah... please don't make me get rid of that part of my user name...

Your original post certainly did not imply that you were looking for the difference that bad crosses would make on the times of a CN user.
Well that's pretty much what teller was talking about and joey and I replied to. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

By the looks of it you were suggesting, as I suspected, that you thought a particular colour might make a difference without the solver realising it, thus not being "perfectly CN" or whatever.
I'm interested in both.
1. How much someone benefits in practice from neutrality (or equivalently, suffers from fixed cross).
2. How neutral someone indeed and measurably is.
I find both interesting individually, but 2. has the additional value of ensuring validity of 1.

P

PeterV

I know I'm coming a bit late to the party, but congrats on an awesome WR average, Feliks. Keep up the good work!

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whoa.
Nakajima's got a bit of competition...

i hope this is somewhat joking, otherwise it calls for a big bowl of :fp stew
It was.
awww, i wanted some :fp stew, oh well, maybe i will go haunt some noobies now...
n00b.jpg

Last edited:

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mr. Pochmann
Gah... please don't make me get rid of that part of my user name...

Your original post certainly did not imply that you were looking for the difference that bad crosses would make on the times of a CN user.
Well that's pretty much what teller was talking about and joey and I replied to. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

By the looks of it you were suggesting, as I suspected, that you thought a particular colour might make a difference without the solver realising it, thus not being "perfectly CN" or whatever.
I'm interested in both.
1. How much someone benefits in practice from neutrality (or equivalently, suffers from fixed cross).
2. How neutral someone indeed and measurably is.
I find both interesting individually, but 2. has the additional value of ensuring validity of 1.

I'll let you worry about the rigor. Some folks will be more perfectly neutral than others.

Meanwhile, consider that an easy cross also enables the user to more easily track his or her first F2L pair. And indeed, Feliks has been an advocate of using up the full inspection time--he's busy planning farther ahead than the rest of us. And anecdotally, he didn't just beat the WR...he creamed it by an unexpected margin. It's not an Avg of 100, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Faz

Former Clock NR Holder
WCA
2009ZEMD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Used 5 random scrambles of my own, cos it was quicker:

9.86, 11.12, 10.13, 11.28, 10.05 = 10.43

They just felt normal I guess, with slightly longer crosses sometimes. And no insight to the first pair from inspection. Did it on green for joey.

Meisen

WCA
2010MEIS01
I do believe sub 9 avg of 5 in competition will be achieved someday. Maybe not far from now.

But sub 8..... It'll never ever happen.

It seems i stand corrected.

It also seems i'm far to seldom in here when the world record has been broken 3 weeks ago and i found out just today!

Food for thought....

AnnoyingApple

I gasped when I saw "Feliks Zemdegs" and "WR", and thought 'Another one? wtf!' Then I noticed the date of this thread. :(