• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Off-Topic Question thread

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every now and then something in the world bothers me, normally it is something in the universe I'm unsure of and must know!
Well I thought that there would be plenty of smart people in this forum and so I decided to make this thread.
Here you can post any question (non-cubing related)
Hopefully this thread doesn't go to waste because there are many questions in the universe!

aronpm

Why is this true?

pi*13.37=42
If 13.37π did equal 42, it would mean that either Pi is rational, or 42 is irrational. We know both of those conditions are not true, so 13.37π =/= 42.

There are interesting equations involving π, such as Euler's Identity. e^(iπ) + 1 = 0.

tl;dr: it's not true.

Tyrannous

YouTube
Visit Channel
the chicken had to come first otherwise how would non-avians have been formed as they give live births, thats like saying what came first the human or the egg, humans dont lay eggs and thus...

And pi*13.37 is not equal 42 as I'm sure most of you know lol, pi is irrational for a reason, its precise for good reason, but yeah enough ranting lol

WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why is this true?

pi*13.37=42
If 13.37π did equal 42, it would mean that either Pi is rational, or 42 is irrational. We know both of those conditions are not true, so 13.37π =/= 42.

There are interesting equations involving π, such as Euler's Identity. e^(iπ) + 1 = 0.

tl;dr: it's not true.
It's close enough to be scary. Don't be a troll.

[/thread hi-jack]

gyc6001

WCA
2009CHYI01
Here's a question, why do some people get really irritated when a certain surface is scratched? like tin or a black board. It doesn't even effect me.

For some people, the sound produced really makes them feel disgusting or ticklish, for some people who scratched the surface, it really "tickles their nerves", like me.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a question, why do some people get really irritated when a certain surface is scratched? like tin or a black board. It doesn't even effect me.

For some people, the sound produced really makes them feel disgusting or ticklish, for some people who scratched the surface, it really "tickles their nerves", like me.
+1, i find that when im around certain materials, like a chalkboard, i have to scratch it because of the weird feeling it presents, i think most of it is cognitive, most are made to believe it is supposed to hurt their ears, or make them cringe so it does, me on the other hand, im one of those punks who, since it makes everyone cringe, enjoy doing it but do not suffer the ill consequences.

sorry if my grammar sucks, im still kinda groggy...

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
which came first? chicken or egg?

Depends on whether you mean egg in general or chicken egg in particular. If egg in general, eggs or female gametes came about when sexual reproduction evolved, long before birds existed. Many invertebrates, fish, amphibians and dinosaurs laid eggs.

If you mean the chicken egg in particular, depends on how you define a chicken egg. Is it an egg laid by a chicken, or an egg from which a chicken hatches? Evolution of course is a gradual process; one species doesn't simply turn into another in the course of one generation. But suppose you can define when an organism is or is not a chicken (perhaps by comparing its genome to the modern chicken and setting a threshold as to how similar the genes should be before it is considered a chicken). Then would be able to pinpoint the first chicken, and depending on your definition of a chicken egg, you know which came first.

Or you can find your answers in the Book of Genesis, wherein God created all birds and animals (no mention of him creating eggs) 6000 years ago as the Sumerian civilization looked on in confusion.

Last edited:

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm pretty sure it's the extra electrons that come from the black board that mess around with your nerves. or at least that's what my dad says, because if you rub two knifes next to each other near me, I almost fall to the ground XD