• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Make R3 better than DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilkdub503

WCA
2010WARR01
Another way to make Rubik's brand cubes beastly: Use Jig-A-Loo. At least the way I did it, I have a cube that spins fast (maybe a little too fast, but I'm getting a lot of sub-20's lately with an absent orange side) and isn't getting corroded. Just disassemble and give it one sweep. This legend here has an amazing experiment he did-of course, you can probably change it up, depending on where you are. If you aren't sub-30, you may want less lube. Just a thought.

chris410

I have a *edit Eastsheen and an older rubik's brand and after a lot of use I actually prefer the older rubiks to my meffert which tends to pop even though I have tightened down the screws.

Would a modified cube like this be legal for competition?

Last edited:

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a mefferts and an older rubik's brand and after a lot of use I actually prefer the older rubiks to my meffert which tends to pop even though I have tightened down the screws.

3g) Puzzles may be made smoother internally by sanding or using any lubricant.

Yes. Yes it is legal.

chris410

I have a mefferts and an older rubik's brand and after a lot of use I actually prefer the older rubiks to my meffert which tends to pop even though I have tightened down the screws.

3g) Puzzles may be made smoother internally by sanding or using any lubricant.

Yes. Yes it is legal.

In that case I will have to pick up a store bought and try this. Thanks!

chris410

Eastsheen makes 3x3s now?

I ordered a set that was supposedly eastsheen cubes. The kit included a diy cube. It did not have a label but was included with all the cubes which are eastsheen. I will see if I can confirm it for you.

chris410

I could not find an eastsheen 3x3, so they gave me a diy I cannot identify, this could explain why it is not as good as I expected.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Video please. Also, I bought a storebought recently, and it is really fast, out of the box. It cuts corners a bit, and I was actually going to make a thread called "Rubik's Brand 3x3s catching up". It is very good, and I'm sure with a little more breaking in, it will be excellent. I haven't even lubed it yet. Is mixing Silicone and Vaseline a bad idea. I sprayed a tiny bit of silicone in, but then stopped. Would it fuse with vaseline and be, bad? I would wipe out the vaseline after a week or so, but would mixing lubes reck it? Nice mod, but pictures need to be bigger.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01

I ordered a set that was supposedly eastsheen cubes. The kit included a diy cube. It did not have a label but was included with all the cubes which are eastsheen. I will see if I can confirm it for you.

Was that on ebay. ES 2x2, 4x4 and 5x5 and Famworth 3x3. If you looked in the description, it wasn't an ES 3x3, it was Famworth.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Was that on ebay. ES 2x2, 4x4 and 5x5 and Famworth 3x3. If you looked in the description, it wasn't an ES 3x3, it was Famworth.

It's a *Famwealth*. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Eastsheen-R...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26e9639c

On topic; I can see how this mod would improve the cubies, but 50% of the movement in a cube is the core. Rubik's cores suck, and not not NEAR the effort they require to make them like a DIY core. As someone else said; if you were to use a DIY core and the cubies mod, it would have some potential.

minsarker

So I was looking to do this since I had a few new storeboughts lying around. The problem is, half the edges are not as thick as the other ones. Do I file these? It will just literally leave nothing on that corner of the edge.

retr0

I'm going to try this to my R3, once you make a video or upload bigger, clearer pictures.

Hope it works :D

Status
Not open for further replies.