• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suggestion: Hovering over acronyms shows what they mean

Nukoca

I think that this could be a functionality worth adding. People new to the forums are always asking what these acronyms mean--OLL, PLL, COLL, MGLS, BLD, etc.--but why should they have to ask or go the wiki or Google it when they could hover over the word and see the definition?

It's done like this:
Code:
<acronym title="Permutation of the Last Layer">PLL</acronym>

Here's an example of this: http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137

Some words to add to the list, if anyone likes this idea:
Alg
BLD
BLD speed
CF
CFOP
CLL
CLS
COLL
Conjugate
Commutator
EJF2L
ELS
EPLL
F2L
LBL
MGLS
OLL
PB
PLL
PLL time attack
PR
UWR
WR
Add some more?

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

Or we could have a link to an acronym page which had a complete alphabetical list of acronyms.

Edmund

WCA
2008ROTH03
A cubing acronym page would actually be a really good idea I think. I know when I started I had no idea what the heck OLL meant and that sucked I felt so noob. lol.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't like this idea at all. I know what cubing acronyms/abbreviations mean and it would be very annoying to have to have little popup things whenever I move my mouse while browsing the forum. Just go learn what things mean, guys, it's not hard.

miniGOINGS

I don't like this idea at all. I know what cubing acronyms/abbreviations mean and it would be very annoying to have to have little popup things whenever I move my mouse while browsing the forum. Just go learn what things mean, guys, it's not hard.

That's why we think a page full of terms would be better.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
Make it optional and turn it off, just like avatars/signatures/richtexteditor.

Exactly. Couldn't the ideas be combined (hover over the text to bring up a box with the meaning and then click that to go to the list)? Personally, I'd have no use for this, and it would get in the way, but it might be helpful to some.

thiJUMBA

i'm a newbie, if i don't know what it means i'll just ignore it or google it =)

but i have mixed opinions about this X)