• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Big Cube BLD Discussion

josh42732

How much harder and more concentration does it take to go from 3BLD to 4BLD? I want to eventually do 5BLD, but can't even do 4BLD. How should I train my memory for this? Should I practice by doing 3MBLD which is a little more than 4BLD, or start with corners and maybe centers or something like that. I want a good foundation so I can do it right.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've started with doing whole solve - no practice of substeps. When I failled a solve I've redid scramble and did sighted solve. I did one or two solves per day. After more than 15 attemptes (maybe 20?) I was succesfull. It was 2 months ago. I used U2/r2/OP from Noah tutorial. M2 was my main 3bld method.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much harder and more concentration does it take to go from 3BLD to 4BLD? I want to eventually do 5BLD, but can't even do 4BLD. How should I train my memory for this? Should I practice by doing 3MBLD which is a little more than 4BLD, or start with corners and maybe centers or something like that. I want a good foundation so I can do it right.

Don't worry about memory, solve as much as you can sighted, once you don't have problems solving everything sighted you can start to actually do the whole stuff. If you start doing attempts before that you'll fail almost everytime on execution and you might get frustrated and stop practicing.

SoySauS

How I learned how to do 4BLD (I did this for 3BLD, as well), is first I wrote down my memo and looked at it while solving it sighted. When I could do that with no mistakes, I then would do solves where I would memo centers, then execute centers. Then memo edges, then execute edges. Then memo corners, then execute corneres. Once I got consistent with that, I finally moved on to full solves.

JemFish

I think this is my first post in the Big Cube BLD Discussion thread, and it's to say that I just had my first 4BLD attempt, a DNF, in 33:58.73 minutes, which you can read about here.

josh42732

Someone has probably already discussed this, but do you think that WCA will eventually allow from 2x2-7x7 BLD or maybe even up to 13x13 or will they keep it the same with just 3x3-5x5? I am curious as to see how many people are willing to do that big and how fast they can do it.

JemFish

Someone has probably already discussed this, but do you think that WCA will eventually allow from 2x2-7x7 BLD or maybe even up to 13x13 or will they keep it the same with just 3x3-5x5? I am curious as to see how many people are willing to do that big and how fast they can do it.

I think the WCA should allow attempts up to 7x7, but no further.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
No. They shouldn't add anything bigger than 5x5.

Solve times would be extremely long and success rates extremely low. Besides only few people in the world can do them so getting more than 1 people to compete ateach comp might be hard...

6bld and up doesnt really add anything new except just more memoing and annoying mire layers. More layers gets very annoying because in a long solve it's easy to turn the wrong layer by accident. And for memory monsters that like big memos we already have mbld :)

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's hard enough to justify keeping 5BLD as an official event, since it doesn't really add anything new to 4BLD. I'd rather see 4BLD Mo3 becoming official, or even seeing it replace 5BLD.

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
It's hard enough to justify keeping 5BLD as an official event, since it doesn't really add anything new to 4BLD. I'd rather see 4BLD Mo3 becoming official, or even seeing it replace 5BLD.

True.
But then again what justifies 5x5 6x6 and 7x7 all to be official events? IMO that is essentially the same thing. Not much new is added and solve is just little longer.

But I dont suggest removing any of the events (nor do I suggest adding any new ones). I think that things are quite fine how they are currently.

Goosly

WCA
2010VERE01
It's hard enough to justify keeping 5BLD as an official event, since it doesn't really add anything new to 4BLD.

Sure it does. In 4BLD, you can orient the cube to get an "easier" memo. In 5BLD, you cannot.
I really don't see any reason to remove any event, at this moment.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sure it does. In 4BLD, you can orient the cube to get an "easier" memo. In 5BLD, you cannot.
I really don't see any reason to remove any event, at this moment.

The bolded part is incorrect.

I don't agree with Ollie about how 5BLD doesn't really add anything new, but this debate has been going on for a long time and my thoughts on the topic are already posted in various threads on the forum :) Basically, my utility (enjoyment) for 5BLD is much higher than 4BLD so obviously I am biased toward keeping it as an event.

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
cmhardw, I know you can just swap centers at the end, but I'm curious to know if anybody does solve 5BLD that way (orienting the cube to get easier centers, solving it, and swapping the centers). Do you do it or know anybody who does it?

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
cmhardw, I know you can just swap centers at the end, but I'm curious to know if anybody does solve 5BLD that way (orienting the cube to get easier centers, solving it, and swapping the centers). Do you do it or know anybody who does it?

I think Chester Lian did it. It's not a terrible idea, as long as you don't orient into one of the bad orientations (where you can't fix your centers without doing some void parity nonsense).

Last edited:

josh42732

No. They shouldn't add anything bigger than 5x5.

Solve times would be extremely long and success rates extremely low. Besides only few people in the world can do them so getting more than 1 people to compete ateach comp might be hard...

The bold part is at most competitions. There are only a handful of poeple that actually do 3BLD, much less 4 and 5BLD at local competitions, but what if they only did 7BLD at major competitions? Like USA Nationals or something? Or they could add the event at the competition upon request by a competitor.

6bld and up doesnt really add anything new except just more memoing and annoying mire layers. More layers gets very annoying because in a long solve it's easy to turn the wrong layer by accident. And for memory monsters that like big memos we already have mbld :)

This could be argued that in MBLD it is also very annoying because in a long solve it's easy to mix up a cube for another or to pick up the wrong cube. But how do you get better at that? Or turn the right amount of layers? Practice. Just like any other event. I'm not saying that I would rather die than not have 7BLD in competitions, but it would be an intersting feat to accomplish and give hope to slower cubers like me to work towards to get their name in the record books. ;)

This is my 100th Post BTW!!!

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
The bold part is at most competitions. There are only a handful of poeple that actually do 3BLD, much less 4 and 5BLD at local competitions, but what if they only did 7BLD at major competitions? Like USA Nationals or something? Or they could add the event at the competition upon request by a competitor.

Nobody is stopping anyone from organizing 6 or 7bld as unofficial events if they are interested, but IMO there is no sense in adding an official event that gets held few times a year and has even fewer successes.

This could be argued that in MBLD it is also very annoying because in a long solve it's easy to mix up a cube for another or to pick up the wrong cube. But how do you get better at that? Or turn the right amount of layers? Practice. Just like any other event.
MBLD is different because if you make one mistake the whole solve is not a DNF. You just get lower scores. Also picking up the wrong cube during MBLD is just stupid and VERY easily avoidable. Unlike accidental/wrong inner layer turns in 7BLD.

I'm not saying that I would rather die than not have 7BLD in competitions, but it would be an interesting feat to accomplish and give hope to slower cubers like me to work towards to get their name in the record books. ;)

It is an interesting feat to accomplish I agree completely BUT that is why we have a thread here in speedsolving that lists (or at least tries to list) all who have accomplished it :) . It's just that because of its incredibly hard nature (VERY low percent of the solves would be successful) and long duration it doesn't fit to WCA competitions well at all...

P.S. Also on another topic that caught my eye in your post: Why should slow people even get their name in the record books? IMO only the fastest ones should get that honor. And there is always hope for the slow ones also since everyone who is fast now was once slow ;) Just keep practising and good luck with 7BLD, I'm starting to practise it next week also :)