• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ice cube project

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
HI guys, I've got to to a project for science. To build a container for an ice cube (the half-circle type) to reduce it from melting.

Here is the outline:

Ice Cube Project

Objective: How long will a standard ice cube last in an insulated container. *Reduce the amount of conduction, convection, and radiation.

1. Find out how long an unproteced ice cube will last outside of the freezer. DONE (2.5 hours)
2. Design and build a container that will hold an ice cube and slow its melting. You can not use any pre-frozen materials. (have the ice cube in a small plastic bag) NOT DONE
3. Make a well labeled poster of your container. Large enough for the class to see. Show a cut-away view of what's inside your container. NOT DONE
4. Bring your ice cube to class on October 21st (put cube in on October 20th (at 8:00)) NOT DONE

A. Once your ice cube is in its container, do not have it in a cold place. (put it at room temp.)

B. Be prepared to open your container in class, display your poster, and tell about the experiment.

What I am asking you guys to do: How should I make my container?

I'm asking you guys because a lot of people on here are smart and would know the best way. COUGHANDIGETAPRIZEIFIWINCOUGH

Any help is appreciated,

-Logan

piemaster

I can't think anything better than clay that would keep heat from escaping...

daniel0731ex

Reduce the amount of conduction, convection, and radiation

conduction: transfer of heat through a conducting material.
solution: use insulating materials like styrafoam as the outside shell

convection: transfer of heat through the flow of air
solution: make sure the container is completely sealed

Radiation: transfer of heat without any materials acting as the median
solution: use obaque materials as the inner container.

hope it helps

BTW i did the exact experiment back in grade 1, and half of the class used the ice cream styrafoam box wiht some modification o_O

Last edited:

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

hope it helps

BTW i did the exact experiment back in grade 1, and half of the class used the ice cream styrafoam box wiht some modification o_O

What's the US equivalent of grade 1? I'm in 8th grade (14 years old) right now.

E

Ethan Rosen

I believe that this man can help you:
ice-cube.jpg

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this before; I believe I had a can inside a styrofoam box I made, stuffed with cotton so the can won't move. Then I wrapped the styrofoam with duct tape (It had a styrofoam lid too). Not sure if the duct tape really helped much =P

HowSuneIsNow

WCA
2009DAVI03
I did this in middleschool and won. the difference was that we were only aloud out use scrap construction materials. al we did was get a giant piece of foam and make cavity JUST smaller than the container of water. Tight seals are what won it for me. You can get a GIANT piece of hard insulation foam at a big box hard ware store. it's made for insulation. you can probably also get aluminum insulation tape there too.

"You can not use any pre-frozen materials." you can use liquid nitrogen. it's not frozen, it's still a liquid :)

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01

hope it helps

What's the US equivalent of grade 1? I'm in 8th grade (14 years old) right now.

Canada grade 1 == US grade 1....

daniel0731ex

i think my grade one teacher is meant to have us to ask our parents and make the project with them.
it was a parent-kid project, actually.
BTW i was still in taiwan when i was in grade one.

darkzelkova

I thought of those 2x2's when I saw this thread.

anyway, tin foil on the outside, wrap it in like cotton balls or styrofoam. Freeze it extra if you can before you bring it in (deep freezer, dry ice, liquid nitrogen), the colder it starts the slower it will melt. Make the container air tight. Try not to let the melted water get away from the ice cube, wrap it in saran (syran?) wrap or something.

Mine would look something like this:

Ice, saran wrap, cottonballs/foam/insulation, tin foil, air tight container filled with more foam to reduce convection, then maybe more tin foil.

Denhomer

WCA
2008WINK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if you can do anything with this, but there is something called pykrete that melts reaaaallllyy sloooooow. You might want to consider it for using it as an inner layer.
You can also use super pykrete as shown in a mythbusters episode, it's basicly wet layers of paper frozen. This material can last really long in hot water, so it should last quite long in a normal insulated box.
I hope it can also keep your ice cube cold.

HowSuneIsNow

WCA
2009DAVI03
DO NOT put liquid nitrogen in a sealed container. It WILL cause an explosion. liquid nitrogen is dangerous and against the spirit of the assignment, but not the letter. i mentioned it earlier as a bit of a joke.

pykrete contains ice so it would be against the rules of the assignment.

krazedkat

Simple: Make a vacuum... :?
In Ontario you can take a grade 13 if you wish :|... But yes 1=1, 2=2 etc. For grades in Canada and US. I'm in 10th year, age: 15...

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Simple: Make a vacuum... :?
In Ontario you can take a grade 13 if you wish :|... But yes 1=1, 2=2 etc. For grades in Canada and US. I'm in 10th year, age: 15...

I was just going to say that I thought of that.

How though? and don't say "use a vacuum clearner".

I'm thinking, put a small jar into a big jar. Put an ice cube into the small one. Take the air out of the bigger one, and wrap it in tinfoil.

Vacuum: gets rid of air (therefor getting rid of convection, and conduction)

Tinfoil: Stops light from entering (getting rid of Radiation).

I don't know an east way to make a vacuum. Any ideas?

piemaster

you can try to make one of those compressed clothes thingys...what were they called again?