• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

¿Retooled black MF8 Megaminx? (pictures)

Rodrigo Piaggio

Premium Member
WCA
2009BERM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, a couple of days ago i got my black MF8 minx from C4Y. They where out of stock for months. When i turn the puzzle the layers have a general smooth and fast feel (unlubed) better than the white one i have from rubikfans. Well, finally i can put together my Gigaminx and now i can concentrate in the MF8 minx. I took it apart and saw differences with my old white one:

First the tiles are more thin and the colours more "faded".

zxtgl.jpg

The center caps are different now:

k4ieyv.jpg

The edges have different shape also:

9t2xxy.jpg

oqm0k9.jpg

The same thing with the corners:

2aj5h5f.jpg

And finally the core are now kind of transparent:

2dkxoif.jpg

2cylcf8.jpg

Anyone has noticed this changes in mechanism? for now i cannot compare the performance of both since i have not ajusted and lubed the black "new" one, but certainly is better out of the box than the white "old" one.

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The new one has similar corners and edges to the PVC, which ive heard is similar to the mefferts....

By no means am I a minx expert, but thats my opinion.

Nice find!~

Rodrigo Piaggio

Premium Member
WCA
2009BERM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yesterday i complete unassenbly the black mf8, clean, adjust tension and lube. Wow this puzzle is amazing: incredible fast, smooth, can cut corners insanely. Lock ups a bit but much less than the white one. 3 or 4 solves without a single pop. Great!!

Last edited:

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great pictures -- my amazing exploding white MF8 (palmed off by Meffert's for $28 as one of their own <grrrr!>) is the same as yours and those corners on the black "re-tooled" sure look a lot better: as an earlier poster mentioned, more like the PVC pieces. I shall be ordering one to add to my growing Minx collection!

V-te

YouTube
Visit Channel
Bump. I'm looking far one of these but white, on ebay. Can anyone please give me a link? I do not have a megaminx right now and would really like this one. (retooled)