• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wiki Discussion Thread

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Since there's been a lot of activity on the Speedsolving Wiki recently, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread specifically for discussing questions/issues/edits to the Wiki.

For discussions relating to particular pages it is also possible to use the 'discussion' tab to start an on-Wiki debate. Posting in this thread however, will probably get a more timely response ;)

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Are you using firefox? If so, use your scroll wheel to click a link and it'll open in a new tab. If you're not using firefox, click here :p

I personally don't like sites telling me when I want a new window/tab. I'd rather choose to open a tab myself. I'm not sure where everyone else stands on this tho...

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I personally don't like sites telling me when I want a new window/tab. I'd rather choose to open a tab myself. I'm not sure where everyone else stands on this tho...
+1 It's actually an ongoing battle on our internal tools site. I don't want the apps opening new windows unless I tell to, explicitly. :)

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Are you using firefox? If so, use your scroll wheel to click a link and it'll open in a new tab. If you're not using firefox, click here :p
Ctrl+click will open a new tab/window in most browsers. Unless you use a mac, then it "right"-clicks. Aaaaaahahahaha...

Interesting to know this under debate. I'm never sure whether to have external links open in a new window or not when I work on webpages...

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01

If you ARE using firefox (or IE for that matter,) you should probably click here

I think you meant here.

Well, this is really what its all about, its just no contest :rolleyes:

What are the criteria to let you edit the SpeedSolving wiki?

All you need is an email address. Just register an account and verify your email, then you're free to log in and start editing.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Puzzle Shops - Entitlement to Advertise

There have been some strange edits on the Front page in the puzzle shops list recently. A shop was removed, then re-added. I'm not sure who did what or why, but there's clearly a conflict of interest.

I've added some info on the main page's discussion page, but if anyone has opinions on this, please discuss...

EDIT: There's also some discussion on which methods class as 'speedcubing/FMC', ie. should Roux fall under this category? Discussion is here if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

EDIT: There's also some discussion on which methods class as 'speedcubing/FMC', ie. should Roux fall under this category? Discussion is here if anyone is interested.

Yes, it should. It is speed, and is very good for FMC (if you know 5 cycles or ELL).

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Wiki Category Re-organisation

OK, loads more edits today! All named methods now have their own pages, and all higher level pages (such as 3x3x3 Speedcubing Methods) have been made into categories. The root level methods category is called Methods, and includes every method mentioned on the Wiki, as well as a list of categories to allow filtering of the methods list. I've also moved the method list table to this category page since the purpose of the two pages were the same.

If you're adding new methods to the Wiki, be sure to add them to the relevant categories so that they automatically appear in the category hierarchy.

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
New Method Templates/Images

A new info-box template has been added to the 3x3x3 method pages. At the moment it contains an image, and the following information about each method:
  • Proposer(s)
  • Year Proposed
  • Alternative Names
  • Variants
  • Number of Steps
  • Average number of Moves (by a competent speedsolver)
  • Purpose(s) (what its used for)

If you can think of other method info which should be in there please let me know and I'll update the template.

Also, if you're knowledgeable about a particular method, could you have a look at the method info-box and add/ammend any missing or incorrect data. Here's a list of all the methods which currently have an info-box. Cheers :)

EDIT: Added infoboxes for 2x2x2 Methods

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
New Puzzle Shops Page

The main page puzzle shops list has started to grow a little to large and is cluttering the main page, so I've created a puzzle shops page for links, info and reviews of various puzzle shops. If you know any other shops, please add to the page, or if you've had a lot of experience with an existing shop feel free to add info/reviews.

I've reduced the shops list on the main page so that only the main/popular shops are displayed. If there's a shop which you feel should be on the main page and isn't then let us know.. cheers.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Breaking-up of cube hardware page

I'm planning on re-organising the puzzle hardware stuff so that each brand of cube/puzzle has its own page (with pics, links and reviews). Puzzles will be organised by brand and type via the categories system, and will still all be accessible from the 'puzzle hardware' parent category. Discussion here.

Before I go ahead and make the changes, does anyone think this is not a good idea, or are there any comments/suggestions?

Last edited:

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm planning on re-organising the puzzle hardware stuff so that each brand of cube/puzzle has its own page (with pics, links and reviews). Puzzles will be organised by brand and type via the categories system, and will still all be accessible from the 'puzzle hardware' parent category. Discussion here.

Before I go ahead and make the changes, does anyone think this is not a good idea, or are there any comments/suggestions?
Similar to Pentrixter's thread? Awesome.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01

Similar to Pentrixter's thread? Awesome.

Exactly. Pentrixter actually put some of his material up on the wiki, but it needed to be expanded and broken down into a full section with multiple pages/categories etc. This is now largely done. See details here.

A few more things remain to be done, and a lot of new 'stub' pages have been created, but the infrastructure is now there to add a lot more detail to the puzzle hardware section.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Okay, think I've done all the updates I'm prepared to do for now. Most puzzles and manufacturers are covered to a basic level, with images, links, ratings and brief descriptions.

Key pages which are really in need of more information are:
  • LanLan - Needs any info on the manufacturer and a description of the LanLan 2x2x2. I couldn't find any details about the LanLan company online.
  • Type-A - Currently quite a confusing mess. Requires clarification of the different types and differences between them. Information on the manufacturer of Type-A's would also be useful.
If anyone has info and can find the time, updates to these two pages would be very useful.

I can't encourage updating of the hardware pages enough. With the vast numbers of cubes available, and relentless flow of new models and versions it will require constant updates from the community to keep it comprehensive and up to date. The more contributions, the better a resource Wiki becomes..

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
It would be cool to have a page that just listed a link (or two or...) to every major puzzle in every brand, knockoffs or not. I could contribute some popbuying/c4y links.

Great idea. I guess providing a full description and images for every puzzle from every manufacturer is probably infeasible, but certainly a simple list with links to each puzzle should suffice.

In addition, for more common puzzles it'd be nice to have a list of links to shops which sell them on-line. It would hopefully reduce the instance of "WTB xxx?" threads!

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I mean, not just a link to a place to buy a 3x3, but a direct link to a type A cube, type B, type C, and so on. With some retailers it can be really hard to find particular cubes (i.e. popbuying labels the type F2s as "SE" or something like that) so a set of links to specific types would probably be very useful.