• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wiki Discussion Thread

martinss

To PJK, (or any wiki admin)

I saw you start up a bot to clean the wiki (BlockandNuke to delete spam articles.) You accidentaly some pages that aren't "spam article" but you did not restored ALL of them : (see spoiler)
I don't know if you didn't have enough time or if you didn't see them... (That's why I'm writting this.).

Moreover, you restored some templates pages (as Template:Cube_state_Infobox). They are not working as templates anymore. (see Cross_cube_state)

Please restore my account too.

User:Martinss

This user is currently blocked. The latest block log entry is provided below for reference:

07:03, 5 November 2014 PJK (Talk | contribs) blocked Martinss (Talk | contribs) with an expiry time of indefinite (Martinss) (Blocked through Special:BlockandNuke)

Thanks !

Last edited:

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like all the pages edited by TChowcubes got nuked in the process, I've restored some more of the pages that have content. I've also unblocked your account but it looks like there might be a 24hour block on the IP.

(Not PJK but I do have wiki admin)

martinss

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Admittedly I didn't restore those because I didn't think they were really needed. A couple are just empty (CHJ)/redirects(Canadian) that can be fixed with fixing links in other pages, and the rest don't have enough content to warrant their own pages atm(Mock Cross), or are sufficiently fringe to not be needed (examinx, people aren't really that interested and it can just be mentioned in tera/petaminx pages etc)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Does anyone have issues with the thumbnails of all cases in the wiki?
Speedsolving Wiki

All the thumbnails show up all messed up, heres a screenshot i took:

attachment.php

It seems to look like this across all the cases, whether it is OLL, PLL or ZBLL.. Anyone else having the same issue?
This issue has been fixed. If it happens again, please post here. Thanks.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It has been almost a year since I updated the 4x4x4 parity algorithms wiki page, but I made several (small) edits yesterday. As I say in the introduction, "Thanks to the work of Tom Rokicki and Ed Trice in 2014", I found that the shortest odd parity fix (which preserves the centers) for the 4x4x4 is 7 STM.

In addition, I finally looked at the Yahoo Groups and found some interesting parts of cubing history. One of which I was not expecting. This is regarding PLL parity algorithms. Specifically, Clément Gallet found 19 15 move diagonal corner swap algorithms with his solver in October of 2006. Of course, many of these algorithms are equivalent by wide turn equivalences, and thus I added only "unique" algorithms to the wiki with the exception of r2 2F2 U2 b2 D' r2 U2 b2 U f2 R2 D2 B2 l2 U, for which I can easily see that Michael Fung used to find the algorithm, r2 2F2 U2 f2 U' r2 U2 f2 U f2 R2 U2 F2 r2 U, which has been accredited to his name. (I included Clément Gallet's wide turn equivalent to give him partial/most credit for Micheal Fung's version to be fair.)

Interestingly, I found two base algorithms which begin with a turn of a perpendicular face such as:
f2 2R2 D2 l2 U b2 D2 l2 D' r2 B2 U2 L2 b2 U'
versus Clément Gallet's favored (and thus the most well-known) 15 move diagonal corner swap algorithm:
r2 2F2 U2 f2 D r2 U2 f2 U' f2 L2 U2 B2 l2 U.

I was hoping to find some algorithms that solve the adjacent corner swap case, but I didn't find any. (Not from his solver, anyway).:(

Lastly, I also have added several more external links.

It's really interesting (sad) that there is no link to this wiki page on the en.wikipedia.org Rubik's Revenge page!

Almost 120k views on this page. I'm honored!:) If anyone has any suggestions to better this page, please feel free to comment. I tried my best to give credit where credit is due, as you can see.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you get a link to link to a page that already exists? For example in [wiki] The Meyer Thread[/wiki], none of the pages come up and the links to the page don't work either.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you get a link to link to a page that already exists? For example in [wiki] The Meyer Thread[/wiki], none of the pages come up and the links to the page don't work either.
I'm not sure what you mean. The link to the Meyer Method wiki page works just fine (and it comes up from searching for "Meyer Method" in the wiki search as well), and the external link therein to the Meyer Thread works as well.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure what you mean. The link to the Meyer Method wiki page works just fine (and it comes up from searching for "Meyer Method" in the wiki search as well), and the external link therein to the Meyer Thread works as well.

Thanks but nevermind. It turns out I capitalised one of the letters that was not in the title of the page (The Meyer Method vs. Meyer method)

Ps. Thanks Randomno :)

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although I didn't make the time to calculate the probabilities that Lid requested for PLL parities, just seeing his complete PLL parity page that he linked to in that probability request post and seeing that Michael Fung's website is down (here's a saved version on web.archive where you can still actually download all of his documents, amazingly), I thought it would be about time to add the remaining (missing) PLL parity cases to the 4x4x4 parity algorithms wiki page.

I will grab algorithms from Lid's site, Michael Fung's PLL parity document, Frederick Badie's, and perhaps make some of my own. If anyone else has made some algorithms for these cases, please post them or a link to them here, or pm them to me. As always, I will give credit where it is due.

Now, my question is, what should the case images be? I have modeled a corner swap and a 3-cycle of edges case and modeled it in 5 different ways, and I grabbed Lid's case image (#6). Note that I will make the case images the same size as the images currently on the wiki. So don't let the size dictate your decision, but rather the "design" itself.

In order to be consistent with the case images that I have put on that page, I give my voters the option to choose from #1-5 (because I want the last layer to be the white face, in order to be consistent with the rest of the case images on that page).

Note that I colored the corners which are to be swapped dark gray, and the dedges which need to be cycled medium gray. Should I NOT include arrows, I will mention in which direction they need to be cycled in order to be solved.

(So images #1-5, which are currently without arrows, could be easier to pick a case than with arrows, because only the three gray dedges either need to be cycled clockwise or anticlockwise, which is something that can be stated above the case image.)

So, please tell me which case image (out of #1-5) you like, and by looking at Lid's (#6), if you think it still needs permutation arrows or is sufficient as is?

QX7gD4P.png

In addition, may I ask if it is necessary to include case images to all cases? That is, is it necessary to include case images to cases both which the three dedges need to be cycled clockwise and anticlockwise, or is one sufficient, knowing that all you need to do is take the inverse of the given algorithm to solve the inverse case?

I am more in favor of not including all cases because I did not for either of the 4-cycle of dedge or 4-cycle of wing edge cases on that page (it's LONG enough as it is), but I thought I would ask this as well.

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Personally, for me, I'd prefer to have the top face a solid colour. Since parity PLL is more likely to be useful for speedsolving than much else, knowing which edges are cycled (and in what direction) isn't usually needed for fast recognition; having simpler images (with a single colour on U) would be clearer.

Of the image designs in the selection you have there, I think either 4 or 5 would be best. Probably 4. Since these are for 4x4, having images similar to what the cube will actually look like would make the most sense to me. You've also talked about consistency of image size and colour in your post; 4 is closest to the other images on the wiki page. 5 is also an okay option since some people will find it easier to spot patterns and recognise cases on a 3x3. Pairing up the edges looks a little weird to me.

If you were to have these in a table, which I think is ideal, then including images for all cases would be good. I think it would be good to avoid having them listed one after another, as is the case with most of the wiki page: it seems to be a bit disorganised to me, even if it is in a sensible order. Tables are much neater and look better.

Having said that, perhaps having a separate page for Parity PLL could be better, listing the cases one after another as on the normal PLL page (and current 4x4 parity page). People who are looking for algorithms for speedsolving may not want to go to the current page since there are so many algs; keeping them separate could encourage more people to use the page and add to it. There would also be more space for images.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Note that I colored the corners which are to be swapped dark gray, and the dedges which need to be cycled medium gray. Should I NOT include arrows, I will mention in which direction they need to be cycled in order to be solved.
I agree with TDM that the U face should be a solid colour. I think more people would find it simpler to learn recognition if the images looked like what the 4x4x4 case would actually look like.

So, please tell me which case image (out of #1-5) you like, and by looking at Lid's (#6), if you think it still needs permutation arrows or is sufficient as is?
QX7gD4P.png
I like #2 the most because it eliminates all the clutter and is one of the easiest/quickest to relate back to a physical 4x4. #4 is a close second, but I like how #2 looks cleaner.

In addition, may I ask if it is necessary to include case images to all cases? That is, is it necessary to include case images to cases both which the three dedges need to be cycled clockwise and anticlockwise, or is one sufficient, knowing that all you need to do is take the inverse of the given algorithm to solve the inverse case?

I am more in favor of not including all cases because I did not for either of the 4-cycle of dedge or 4-cycle of wing edge cases on that page (it's LONG enough as it is), but I thought I would ask this as well.

I think it would be nice if the inverses and reflections were explicitly listed near the "original" cases for the sake of completion, with or without the images. That way anyone looking up a case can find the algorithm directly on the page.