• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ultimate challenge

mrCage

Hi. Chris inspired me to come up with this variety of forced turn fewest moves challenge. Use this weeks challenge at http://fmc.mustcube.net and find a solution where exactly every second turn is a F turn. Noe tricks that i know will give a trivial solution based on a norm,al solution.

By the way the scramble is this one: D' F D F' L U F L' U2 B' D2 B' U' F' D' L D' F2 B L2 F2 R' L D' U F' B' L' R' F'

Per

WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
You *could* do your solution with F F2 F between every single move.
I don't know how something can done "between a single move", plus I think your idea violates the "where exactly every second turn is a F turn" requirement.

I'm sorry, I wasn't entirely clear. I meant you could do your normal solution, with F F2 F between every 2 moves. For example, for R U R', you would do R F F2 F U F F2 F R' F F2 F.

Why does it violate the "exactly every second turn is an F turn" requirement? I don't see how this implies other moves may not be F turns.

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why does it violate the "exactly every second turn is an F turn" requirement? I don't see how this implies other moves may not be F turns.

The word exactly used like that usually means something like if-and-only-if; that is, the moves that are F turns are exactly those that are every second turn.

Put another way: consider the algorithm F F F F F F F F. Is every second turn an F turn? Definitely. Is exactly every second turn an F turn? No, that is not an exact description of which turns are F turns; rather, every single turn is an F turn.

mrCage

Noe tricks that i know will give a trivial solution based on a norm,al solution.
Here's one:

1. Replace every F* turn with (U D L2 R2 U' D') B* (U D L2 R2 U' D').
2. Separate the turns with F B F B F B2 F.

Ok ok!! Smartass:D I need to sharpen my formulation of the challenge.

Take the scramble of my first message in this thread and solve it with a sequence where exactly every second turn is exactly F and not F' or F2. Furthermore, the solution cannot also contain any subsequence that is an identity sequence - like for example F B F B F B2 F. Try to spoil this one Stefan:rolleyes:

Per

mrCage

2x2 Block: B F R' F U F U' F D F D F B' F L2 F U' F U F U' F U F U2 F D' F

Per, what exactly is an identity sequence? A sequence which can simplify or a sequence which does nothing to the cube? For example F B' F, is that forbidden?

Yes, a sequence that does nothing to the cube (except possibly rotate centers ... )

Per

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Well, here's my solution:
U' F B F L' F B F B2 F L F B F R': corner orientation
F B F L2 F B F R2 F B2 F U2: corner separation and xLL combined, 2 edges already solved
F B2 F L F B' F B2 F D': 3rd and 4th edge
F B2 F D F B2 F U2 F B2 F D: 5h edge
F D' F B2 F B' F R: 6th edge
F D2 F B F B F L F B2 F B2 F B2 F B F U2 F B2 F D F B F D2: 7th and 8th edge
F L F B2 F B" F D' F B2 F R2 F B2 F D F B2 F B2 F B2 F B F L': middle layer orientation
F B2 F D2 F U2 F B' F B2 F L2 F: middle layer permutation

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Well, with CF it's really not very difficult once you master some little tricks for putting the F and B layers in the position you want :)

Last edited:

mrCage