• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Registration Captcha

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
:fp to everyone who posted in those threads

For the last time, don't respond to the spam. Just report them and a mod will be along to delete them and administer beatings with the banstick.

deepSubDiver

also, that would take much time and work from the responsible administrators / mods. a nice, custom captcha might do the same work (preventing bots from posting) and is only once a little work, which i also could help with (familiar with gd).

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
also, that would take much time and work from the responsible administrators / mods. a nice, custom captcha might do the same work (preventing bots from posting) and is only once a little work, which i also could help with (familiar with gd).

It wouldn't be a lot of work for the mods. Most people shouldn't be creating threads when they have less than 10 posts anyway. This wouldn't affect their ability to post, a mod would just have to approve them starting a new thread. It could even be knocked down to something like the first 2 or 3 posts.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey what if we banned all users whose WCA profile code is 1 from posting? Would that decrease the amount of spam by a bit?

Well there were two cases of bots just a few minutes ago that DanCohen banned(one that we caught before they even posted anything), both of which had wca ID of 1.

A simple check if the WCA id is valid during registration should help.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Hey what if we banned all users whose WCA profile code is 1 from posting? Would that decrease the amount of spam by a bit?

Well there were two cases of bots just a few minutes ago that DanCohen banned(one that we caught before they even posted anything), both of which had wca ID of 1.

I suggested this a while ago. Apparently it's more difficult than I thought to implement.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I suggested this a while ago. Apparently it's more difficult than I thought to implement.

Why is that?

Johannes91

Why is that?

Either vBulletin sucks or someone doesn't know how to use it. That should be a trivial change.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I write web applications for a living, but vBulletin is not FOSS, so I don't have a copy of it to play with.

And, again, PJK is the only one that can modify the site.