• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Advice and Tips for Competitions

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
1. Are competitors also responsible for being judges for events ( I think that's what you call the people who sit beside the table during the solves)? Or is this taken care of by volunteers at the event?

I think it should be noted that the regulations state that all competitors must be available to judge or scramble if called on. If they refuse, the delegate can disqualify them from the competition. Don't let it get to that point. If there's a call for volunteers, step up and pitch in.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Are competitors also responsible for being judges for events ( I think that's what you call the people who sit beside the table during the solves)? Or is this taken care of by volunteers at the event?
I wouldn't make a person who is new to competitions to judge, it's bad if you know how to judge or scramble and don't help out if judges/scramblers are needed.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I wouldn't make a person who is new to competitions to judge, it's bad if you know how to judge or scramble and don't help out if judges/scramblers are needed.

I just ran a competition where only 12 of the 50 competitors had competed before. The only way to run the event was to get new competitors to pitch in.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To all Australian speedcubers/General cubers,

I heard that there is a competition named Sydney Summer 2015 with will be on the 19th December at Redfern Town Hall,Sydney.
I am just wondering if you think if I am ready for a competition yet because I do not think there might not be a possible chance I the future.

I am a 50sec avg solver ao5vand pb 42.05

Here is what I know:
Cross: takes me around 10 secs to do (including inspection)
F2L:Ok I guess, my initutve F2l is not that bad(going to learn lags for the long cases by comp)
Oll: Case 21,22,26,26,27 and Bar,L and All( that is most of 2look lol except 4 algs)
Pll: Ua,Ub,H,Z and beginner alg Pll(R' F R' B2 R F R' B2 R2) and will learn rest of 2look Pll as well before comp.
I also know Y perm and want to learn Some easy Pll algs before comp.

Also say hi to me if I go to comp!

Yes.

If you can solve it in under 10 minutes, you're ready to go.

CubeDatCube

WCA
2016MARS01
Things to Bring to a Cube Comp - Cubes, Hardware, Supplies etc.

Hello

I'm not that new to speedcubing now but I am going to my first comp in a few days.

Apart from my main and backup cubes, which supplies and hardware etc. should I bring?

Thanks

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't practice too much on the day of or right before your event. Take your #2 cube with you as a practice cube between solves when doing your attempts. Do slow, untimed solves for these.

And yes, definitely bring snacks and don't forget to drink water too.

Have fun!

Porcupine01

I’m going to my first comp in June, does anyone have any tips for a first? Thanks in advance!

rubik2005

Don't worry about speed, for it's not something we will judge you for. The best tip would be talk to people, socialize, and simply enjoy your time there. Maybe you can try new cubes to see if they fit you and find a new main, but you don't have to.

If you want to perform well, use a stackmat at home (or something similar), and maybe have family members watch you to deal with the pressure aspect.

But again, comps shouldn't feel like an Olympic event, but rather a fun, social time :)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
It’s only partially finished, but here is a thread that I made: