• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Organizing official WCA competitions

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So.
paboluba - Ofcourse I will help. I think it will take place on 7th November.
CharlieCooper - yeah. We have the venue.
Kippy - We have the venue and the delegate but Funds not.
Bryan. It is 6800/~11.5 so about it. and we haven't waste any money yet (except the money on calling around for venue :) )but this is what we are going to waste/use. And I meant blindfolds :)

Radu

Premium Member
WCA
2009FACI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm.. I have a few questions and a few advices regarding the costs. As I understand this will be the first official competition in Estonia.

1. How many cubers do you think you will have in the competition? Do you think you will really need the blindfolds? Are there so many cubers doing bld? There are competitions just with a few events. You might skip the bld event this time.

2. Have you found a venue? a place to organize? Why don't you try a University - that's what i'm thinking about in Romania. You can go at the director or a leader o the university and tell him about your plans. I'm sure they will be happy to host something like this, for free. Taking into account it's the first competition it will be a good promotion for them too. Universities should have some big amphitheatres.

I hope my advices will help. Regards.

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So.
paboluba - Ofcourse I will help. I think it will take place on 7th November.
CharlieCooper - yeah. We have the venue.
Kippy - We have the venue and the delegate but Funds not.
Bryan. It is 6800/~11.5 so about it. and we haven't waste any money yet (except the money on calling around for venue :) )but this is what we are going to waste/use. And I meant blindfolds :)

Read the bold text again and repeat.

Also the BLD has enough competitors to do it.
We hope above 30 cubers.

Novriil

WCA
2009KRUU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I got the website up with my brother and it's: wombat.pri.ee

Only in Estonian :)

Now were looking for some sponsors.. Because a thousand crowns isn't that much to advertise themselves for a year :)

Spitfire97

YouTube
Visit Channel
Organising a Comp And a Club

I want to organize a competition for my area. One problem.
I live in the Bahamas and Im scared No one will show up.
There are few cubers in the Bahamas but I might be lucky enough to get cubers from Florida or something.
Do you think I should like start a school cube club first and have a few mini competitions??? Just to try get people interested.:confused:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you think I should like start a school cube club first and have a few mini competitions??? Just to try get people interested.:confused:

Definitely. I doubt Tyson would approve a competition in a new and somewhat inaccessible area without a proven base of cubers. You would also need to fly in a delegate, though I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to find someone willing to go to the Bahamas.

If you have any unofficial competitions be sure to take videos/pictures to show your level or organization, competitor base, how it is run etc. It will probably be a while, but if you put in the work then eventually you will get an official competition.

Good luck!

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should start by contacting a WCA delegate who lives near you.

Organizing a competition is a lot of work. Many delegates prefer to work with someone they know who has attended lots of competitions in the past, so that they will know what they're doing and can make sure that the competition runs smoothly. My advice would be to keep attending competitions and help out at a lot of those competitions.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should start by contacting a WCA delegate who lives near you.

Organizing a competition is a lot of work. Many delegates prefer to work with someone they know who has attended lots of competitions in the past, so that they will know what they're doing and can make sure that the competition runs smoothly. My advice would be to keep attending competitions and help out at a lot of those competitions.

Well said.

Out of curiosity, which location are you planning to hold a competition?

CubeCow

Can someone help me with organizing a competition in Cartersville GA?

Hello all. I would like to host a cubing competition in Cartersville GA. I was looking at the requirements and while I think I could pull this off with just my friends and I, I would still need a WCA delegate, need to know how many people would be interested in something like this, and a sponsor. If you are interested in going or helping, please respond! I'm looking forward to making this happen.

CubeCow

I personally think you should attend a competition first before holding one, but if you really think you can, I'm not stopping you.

I understand your concern, and the main reason I'm holding this comp is to get to go to one XD Also my friends just attended the Atlanta open so they should be able to help me with functionality of I should run into the issue.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you have a problem with what I'm doing, you could tell me what to do right, rather than just tell me what's wrong.

Okay, you're right. I apologize for my tone.

I would say the first step is really to attend another competition. You can read all you want about how a competition works, but if you haven't seen it in person, you really don't know. You also can talk to the delegate of that competition in person about your plans.

Next, find a venue. This could be your school, your church, your local library, etc. Try to coordinate between your delegate and your venue to find a date that works. Don't worry about what date most people are available. People WILL come to a competition, unless it's like on Christmas or something.

Once you have a delegate, a venue and a date, you're pretty much set.

Hope this helps.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can someone help me make this happen?

It is also very helpful to organize an unofficial competition for your first competition. You learn how to organize a competition, you get to meet other cubers, and there are not serious consequences if you don't follow proper procedures. This basically means that it is a good learning opportunity for a first time organizer, and is also a fun get together for the other cubers who attend. This is covered in the cubingusa guide on organizing, but I bring it up here in case this interests you.

As a delegate I can say this from personal experience, I would be more likely to delegate a competition for a first time organizer who has hosted an unofficial competition already than one who has not hosted any competition before.