• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Non-Cubers say the darndest things!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
A bloke I met at a car boot sale told me that any scramble could be solved in 48 moves. He also claimed to have solved a cube by accident.

To be fair, I've seen one person sort of solve by accident: he was able to do a side but no more; halfway through he noticed he got to a stage when he had only ~6 moves left and did that intuitively. Props to him for having the spatial recognition and reasoning for that, especially since he didn't even know how to solve the cube.

jackrosie03

YouTube
Visit Channel
"Is your 7x7 harder than your 3x3?"

"Wait so you have figured out the Rubik's cube"

"So like what's the secret to the cube"

Them: Dude is that your 16x16! *Motions to 4x4*
Me: No this is a 4x4!
Them: But it is sixteen pieces on a side*

"One time I solved five sides but I couldn't figure out the last one"

"I bet that one Rubik's kid can solve a one thousand by one thousand because he can do the 3x3 in under five minutes!"

"That looks easy"

"He carries a knockoff" *Making reference to my Moyu Hualong*

"I bet I could scramble it so bad you couldn't solve it"

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Today two people saw me cubing and one asked: isn't that like a world record you did there?
Random stranger 2: nah, the world record is 2 seconds
Stranger one: no it's a minute

And they just keep going on while I slip away...

Also, another thing that really annoys me is how the maths department has picture of cubes on the wall and everytime I see it, it bugs me so much that some of them are unsolvable...

Also the have horrible non-western colour schemes...

Last edited:

AnthonyCubes

I love non-cubers.
I get the same 5 or so comments when they see me solving.
1.) After I finish solving, usually get a "Did you just do it?" or just a "How??"
2.) "Do you just have to do the same thing over and over to solve it?"
3.) After I tell them I start by making a white cross, they try to solve it and always end up making the white cross on any side EXCEPT the white side.
4.) They always talk about how "They can only solve one side"
5.) When you're hand-scrambling, they don't know it and they think you are solving it without looking at it. They also think fake solves are "solving it really really fast", which usually results in a few more "HOW?"s.

ljacob332

Hey, can I use that cube?
Me: Nah...
Please, I won't mess it up!
Me thinking: Yeah, ok sure its a tiled shishuang anyway, what could go wrong?*
Me: OK, sure.
+time passes+
*I get my cube back* WHAT THE HECK WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BEAUTIFUL FANGSHI LOGO!!!
Er... I totally didn't peel it off.
;(

EternalE

Me: *finishes scrambling cube*
Non-cuber (rudely): I bet you $20 that you won't be able to do it.
Me: *solves it in about 30 seconds*
Non-cuber (more rudely): Good job, but I'm not gonna pay you.
Me: That's not fair!
Non-cuber: Life isn't fair. *runs away*

I would've been totally fine with this if the non-cuber weren't so rude about it. I wouldn't have even accepted the money that she wasn't going to pay if she didn't have that attitude about it.

SFCuber

North Carolina, USA, North America, Northern Hemis
-**Does alg** "DUD U MESSED IT UP!!!, U WERE SO CLOSE!!!!!"
-**Non-cuber looks at a 4x4 and gets confused**
-"Let me mix it up, you're just memorizing the moves!"
-"2x2s are so easy! I bet i could solve one in like... (12 seconds later) 2 moves!"
-**Tells non-cuber the WR then does a sub-30 solve** "UR SO SSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"
-"My friends dogs cousins aunts husbands boss's son can solve it in like 2 seconds!"
-"Dude ur like a genius!"
-**Does solve** **non-cuber looks for a way to solve it** "Ha I found his trick!"

JoeBlow

I solve the 3x3 in front of my friends. One of them grabs the cube, does the move RR', then yells "LOOK I SOLVED IT!!!"
fp

My brother was just learning the 4x4 for the first time. He got an error. he said, "Yay! Parity!"
Also, I hate it when people say "Did I scramble it well?"
as well, when they say "Oh I can do 2 sides, but then it messes up" It's layers, for goodness sake!
Also when they say that rubik's brand is the best :)

Last edited: