• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A lot of new posters recently.

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have seen a lot of new posters
with say a 20 post count/ just a low post count.
And it seems to be that a lot of the same things
are repeatedly being said/asked. That doesn't bother me that much
As I am happy to help the new up coming speedcubers. BUT!
One thing that bothers me which maybe I should mind my own business about but I don't like how everyone can make threads as soon as they
join the forum because this new kid (name is not important) 3/4 posts were threads and it was his first day, "types saying (sry, thx, what tipe of cube.) things that we all don't like to read. "
And I know I saw Michael's thread but it seems to me as if nothing really helped and our forum is going downhill. Does anybody think we can follow through with those original ideas on banning those who blatantly disregarding forum rules?
I'm all for new comers but can we fix this problem?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im not sure if twistypuzzles is still like this... but they changed their policies with new members.

As i recall, it was by invitation only.

That way, it became a small niche community of puzzle builders and puzzle fans. A bunch of people from this forum are also part of twistypuzzles as well.

I think if we limit ourselves to a smaller number, theres going to be a little bit less conflict over things like this. (i too saw that thread)

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
Im not sure if twistypuzzles is still like this... but they changed their policies with new members.

As i recall, it was by invitation only.

That way, it became a small niche community of puzzle builders and puzzle fans. A bunch of people from this forum are also part of twistypuzzles as well.

I think if we limit ourselves to a smaller number, theres going to be a little bit less conflict over things like this. (i too saw that thread)

Agreed, but I support keeping the speedcubing community open. We can't just filter out all new members, because some of them have good things to say.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you ever heard one of those jokes/riddles where the answer is so simple that you overlook it? And you know there must be a simple answer, but no matter how hard you think, you just can't figure it out?

That's what we're facing here.

I think we're overthinking it. Somewhere, there's a nice, simple solution to all of this that nobody has discovered.

I've decided to start a research project, I'm working on it now. I'm going to take 200 threads at random, and record details about the poster, how long after they joined that they posted the thread, whether they used proper grammar, how many replies it got, whether it was a repeated question or not, etc. Once I get all of the results, which I am recording data for right now, I will post it, and we can look at the data, and decide how our forum is doing, and what to do next.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
coughtfkscorescough

I express strong agreement with his coughs.

Also, i lurked for months before making my first post.
And yeah, JTW2007, youre right. There are too many facets to this. =/

Perhaps we could limit the beginners to the beginners section until they meet some sort of criterion?

Zaxef

WCA
2009MATH02
coughtfkscorescough

I express strong agreement with his coughs.

Also, i lurked for months before making my first post.
And yeah, JTW2007, youre right. There are too many facets to this. =/

Perhaps we could limit the beginners to the beginners section until they meet some sort of criterion?

Aye I lurked around too for a while before posting..

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't be. Results are interesting so far from my project, it seems like 44.44...% of threads so far have been made by people with less than 50 posts. Interesting, but not sufficient enough data to say anything for sure. I've gotten 9 threads searched so far, I'm hand searching them, so it will take a while.

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01

Now there's an idea. Only the more patient advanced cubers reply to those threads, because they're normally repeated questions. Limiting them to Beginners Central would probably reduce flaming, but they could still get their questions answered by people in a more constructive way.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I could be blamed for the influx of new users.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vozCl2mx-Y#t=24s
sorry?
I have no solution for this, I like the limiting beginners to the beginner's thread though. However I think you're just over reacting, like the US is over reacting to immigration problems.

lol. No way, your vids are awesome.
+1 for limiting beginners (wait, would that be me...?) to the beginner's section.