• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Start suspending people who blatantly disregard forum rules.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think we should suspend (i.e. ban for a short amount of time) users who blatantly disregard forum rules.

This forum has been getting progressively worse and worse because of the amount of users who seem to only exist to contribute a bad ambiance to this forum. I'm talking about users who don't understand the concepts of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, ask stupid and obvious questions repeatedly, bump old topics, ruin serious discussions, and otherwise make this forum terrible. We COULD have a good place to discuss new cubing developments, make jokes, and compare times and strategies, but we DON'T, because of the volume of terrible posts. Since the possibility of convincing all of the good cubers to all move to another forum is nonexistent, we need to change speedsolving to make it more friendly to people who actually care about its content.

Well, I've had enough. We need real moderation. We need someone who will ban a user for bumping a two-year-old thread just to say "wow this is old". Forget the rules - I shouldn't even have to ask you whether this kind of thing contributes a negative ambiance to the forum. You should already know. Stuff like this just makes this forum look like a place for people with no intelligence or social etiquette. That is not what I want the main English-speaking cubing forum to be.

We can do so much better, but we need the administration's help to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
We need someone who will ban a user for bumping a two-year-old thread just to say "wow this is old". Forget the rules - I shouldn't even have to ask you whether this kind of thing contributes a negative ambiance to the forum.

Agreed. This isn't even something we can solve with another sticky or another novel way to ensure new members read forum rules. No matter what you do, there will always be people who don't read the rules and the stickies. But bumping an old thread with nothing but "wow this is old" just goes against all common sense. In my opinion this should be a bannable (or suspendable, if you must be nice) offense. At the very least this person needs a stern warning.

Last edited:

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
+1 I actually completely agree with everything said here. I know that I'm not perfect with useful posts but at least I at least try to make the forum a more informative place...

BigSams

oh shut up you ******* ***** :)
kidding kidding
i duno, the english is alright, but the bumping and repeated questions ARE annoying. but they're funny sometimes too. to me the standard is fine, but what do i know. i wasnt here a year ago when things were so great.
gotta admit though, the mod quote was kinda shocking.. and hilarious.
just make a poll. people click 'we need a better forum' or 'whatever' or 'we need a worse forum'
ten bucks says a bunch of jokers are going to click on the third option :p

kjcellist

WCA
2010MATH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree, something should be done.

However, I think it will be hard to enforce any sort of punishment.

There is really know way for an administrator to keep track of all the posts made. So members would have to report to an administrator if there was a stupid post or thread. But if that were the case, everybody would be blaming everybody and that just wouldn't work out.

BigSams

There is really know way for an administrator to keep track of all the posts made. So members would have to report to an administrator if there was a stupid post or thread. But if that were the case, everybody would be blaming everybody and that just wouldn't work out.

the report button..........?

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

all the report button does, is send an annoying little e-mail into my inbox (along with the other mods.) It would get very irritating if every other post was reported by multiple people.

ISuckAtCubing

when is understand the concepts of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, ask stupid and obvious questions repeatedly a rule? so people that doesnt have perfect english doesnt belong in this forum?

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
when is understand the concepts of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, ask stupid and obvious questions repeatedly a rule? so people that doesnt have perfect english doesnt belong in this forum?

We can of course afford to be lenient on the English on this forum because a lot of members are not native speakers. However, if you are a native English speaker and you're using bad spelling/grammar on purpose, it's really easy to tell ("wat do u tink i shud use 4 my cube"), and it's just annoying. If you know English, there's no reason not to write properly.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There would still be a problem, even if the moderators started suspending/banning people. There would still be no way to stop people from creating any number of new names and posting again. I'm not sure how this could be rectified, unless you were more judicious with giving usernames.

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

When is understanding the concepts of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and asking stupid and obvious questions repeatedly a rule? So people that don't have perfect English don't belong in this forum?

You're welcome. :)

^^This is what spell check and the edit button are for. ^^

EDIT: I do not mean to be mean. You may not be native to the U.S and this may not have been your fault. I am just using ISuckAtCubing as an example.

EDIT #2: On a related note, I think that this is a really good idea.

Last edited:

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
However, if you are a native English speaker and you're using bad spelling/grammar on purpose, it's really easy to tell ("wat do u tink i shud use 4 my cube"), and it's just annoying.

agreed. It's pretty obvious that some people just use bad grammar for their amusement, while others, who are not native speakers actually try to type coherently. I strongly support that the users who bump threads for no reason and use incoherent grammar should be suspended. But there really is no need to be complete grammar Nazis and correct everything word for word. That would just make us look like snobbish perfectionist. Just a little clearer and none of these... "wat do u tink i shud use 4 my cube"

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There would still be a problem, even if the moderators started suspending/banning people. There would still be no way to stop people from creating any number of new names and posting again. I'm not sure how this could be rectified, unless you were more judicious with giving usernames.

They have access to, and can ban IPs as well.

kjcellist

WCA
2010MATH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Still, people would start reporting posts that they thought were stupid but really weren't.