• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Small thing on wiki PLLs

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You see, there's this thing about the Wiki, it's called editing. If there's a problem with a page or something that needs adding, you ADD information or REMOVE unnecessary information.

You are correct, that PLL was listed twice. I deleted it.

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
Thread= press new thread button
Wiki=go to check email for confirmation+another account to manage+additional tab=more memory=slower other stuff.

byu

WCA
2009YUBR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wiki=go to check email for confirmation+another account to manage+additional tab=more memory=slower other stuff.

Wiki=do it on your own, be independent, fix it so nobody else has to worry about it
Thread=others have to look at the thread, realize that you just didn't feel like changing it yourself, and decided to make a thread about it so others would do it instead.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
It's not just about being lazy, either. If you use the wiki (which I assume you do as you must have been looking at the page to have noticed the error) the least you can do is make your own contributions when you can, even if it is something as minor as fixing a redundant entry. The information in the wiki doesn't appear and organize itself out of thin air you know.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
It's not just about being lazy, either. If you use the wiki (which I assume you do as you must have been looking at the page to have noticed the error) the least you can do is make your own contributions when you can, even if it is something as minor as fixing a redundant entry. The information in the wiki doesn't appear and organize itself out of thin air you know.

But he'll have to open another tab, which takes more memory, which means his computer will run slower. You can't expect him to do all that, can you? Surely that's someone else's job.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Wiki=do it on your own, be independent, fix it so nobody else has to worry about it
Thread=others have to look at the thread, realize that you just didn't feel like changing it yourself, and decided to make a thread about it so others would do it instead.
Or...
Wiki = help others
Thread = bother others

At the very least, he could've provided a damn link to the page he wanted edited.

Lord Voldemort

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
WCA
2009PRAS02

I just joined:
"A confirmation code was sent to your e-mail address. This code is not required to log in, but you will need to provide it before enabling any e-mail-based features in the wiki." Though you all seem to be making a big deal out of all this...

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
I know... but I don't have a wiki account and I don't want to make one for the sake of 1 alg.

many people think like this, and its not necessarily incorrect.
I always thought pjk made a mistake when he started enforcing login on the wiki. i was always against it, and at one point i think i even sent him an email about it, but he didn't respond. !!pjk!!!

anyway, it discourages the very point of a wiki, contributions. But thats a topic of its own

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I always thought pjk made a mistake when he started enforcing login on the wiki. i was always against it, and at one point i think i even sent him an email about it, but he didn't respond. !!pjk!!!

anyway, it discourages the very point of a wiki, contributions. But thats a topic of its own
I remember discussing this with someone, but I don't recall ever receiving a PM about it.

The wiki initially allowed anyone to edit without logging it (see initial thread). The only protection I think was a CAPTCHA. There was spam posted daily on the wiki and was often left for 24+ hours because no one removed the spam (often times the entire homepage was covered with spam). So to eliminate that problem, I simply forced people to login.

It may discourage people a bit to contribute due to the inconvenience, but it literally takes 30 seconds on a decent internet connection to register and login. And if someone was interested in contributing, the least they could do is login. I would be willing to remove the forced login if I can find a solid way to keep spam almost unseen.

This is a bit off-topic, but I have seen many people say that "no one knows about the wiki". Over the last 2 months, it is averaging around 160 unique visitors a day. Relative to the size of this forum, that may be small, but it still gets a good bit use each day.

D

Deleted member 2864

I remember discussing this with someone, but I don't recall ever receiving a PM about it.

The wiki initially allowed anyone to edit without logging it (see initial thread). The only protection I think was a CAPTCHA. There was spam posted daily on the wiki and was often left for 24+ hours because no one removed the spam (often times the entire homepage was covered with spam). So to eliminate that problem, I simply forced people to login.

It may discourage people a bit to contribute due to the inconvenience, but it literally takes 30 seconds on a decent internet connection to register and login. And if someone was interested in contributing, the least they could do is login. I would be willing to remove the forced login if I can find a solid way to keep spam almost unseen.

This is a bit off-topic, but I have seen many people say that "no one knows about the wiki". Over the last 2 months, it is averaging around 160 unique visitors a day. Relative to the size of this forum, that may be small, but it still gets a good bit use each day.

This too, is off topic, but maybe you could put a wiki on the forum choices. Like under speedcubing, you could have "wiki" or even a wiki section on it's own to promote more people to view and contribute.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel

Lol hi! :)
I think I once told you that I thought it was a bad idea, back when we were setting it all up. Then later on I found out that you started enforcing login...The bit where I sent you an angry pm/email I made up just to make you look evil :) lol <3. No I dont think I did. But neither did I know about the spam! Even with the CAPTCHA? Was it done by bots, or just people who were bored? I had a hard time believing that cubers would be *******s and go out of their way to damage the wiki. Perhaps I was wrong and naive then.

QUESTION:
would it be possible to join the logins of the wiki to the ones in this forum? So at least everyone from this forum can instantly contribute to wiki no problems?

Last edited: