• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Another F2L thread

doubleyou

On Dennis' page Cubeloop he has a section about the F2L cases where one or both pieces are stuck in the first two layers.

http://www.cubeloop.com/php/cube/expert.php?chapter=f2l&subchapter=stuck

It seems gaspable, but yet I cant find logic in it.

could you (Dennis) or someone else please explain how to think about this?

I can imagine its something like:

(LL is working layer. Side layer pieces are stuck in, also working layer)
but what about cross piece?

I hope you understood that

- Sigurd

doubleyou

well I am not so familiar with more than FUR' LU'L' and AUF
ie. setting up either a pair or a potential pair on the U face in a maximum of 5 moves.

could you please descibe what this "trick" is about in short?

I cant emediatly understand whats happening when reading an alg
and I am not used to use F2 moves (breaking the cross completely) wich I can see is heavily used in the "pieces stuck" and "empty slots" (wich might be the essence of this??)

:)

Last edited:

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand what you are getting at. These algorithms help shorten your movecount in F2L, by using empty slots, and giving shortcuts to solving pieces in the wrong slots. What is there to not understand?

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
He wants to know why the algorithms do, what they do. The 41 standard F2L cases are easy to understand ("hold one piece, move the other, so that they fit" etc.). But these algorithms break the cross, so it's sometimes (at least for me :)) not obvious why they work.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What happened on the example on the page is the edge was moved into position so that it could be aligned with the corner correctly when the corner was moved, then it is fixed when this is undone. It is just a sequence of moves that utilize an empty slot to create a pair.

doubleyou

What happened on the example on the page is the edge was moved into position so that it could be aligned with the corner correctly when the corner was moved, then it is fixed when this is undone. It is just a sequence of moves that utilize an empty slot to create a pair.

I understand that you use the empty slot. and you will either crate a real or potential pair.

but how do I think logically/intuitively about it? (all the cases)
or should I just treat the cases like black box sequences?

doubleyou

let me simplify my original question.

for those of you who uses these shortcuts in the cases where one or more pieces are stuck in incorrect slots. Can you handle these cases as untuivly as regular F2L?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Well, on an 8 sec F2L, you are looking at pieces as they move, and the moves that you are actually solving should be moving so fast that you can't really see them. So when you recognize a pair, you solve it intuitively with your hands, if that makes sense. So those tricks are natural.

doubleyou

I doubt anyone uses all of those. You almost never need to do those cases anyway. :p

I was thinking about this too.. you would rather pick another pair and bring "stuck" pieces up into the top layer when solving the first one.

but I just thought it would be nice to know the theory anyway