• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Weekly competition 2009-16

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Peter V:

2x2x2: 9.71, 10.76, (8.36), (12.34), 11.30 = 10.59 avg.
Comment: Good.

3x3x3: (28.20), 32.98, 30.07, (33.42), 33.30 = 32.12 avg.
Comment: Not so good, but at least consistent.

The timer didn't start on the third 2x2 solve, so I re-applied the scramble and solved again. Should this be counted as a DNF?
Yes.

Shucks. Why do I always DNF easy scrambles?

In competition the way it works if the timer doesn't start is that they will ask you to solve the cube (or if you're REALLY slow they'll get someone faster to do it) and then give you a different scramble. Because a timer malfunction is not considered to be your fault, you get a re-do instead of a DNF.

I wouldn't consider it a DNF because you didn't know the rules and because this is just practice, but next time, redo the solve with a new scramble (from CCT or cubemania or something like that).
That depends on the judge. If the timer didn't start because you didn't wait untill the green light comes on it isn't a timer malfunction so I would DNF you.
If the timer really didn't start (never happened to me before). You should be stopped by the judge and he will provide you with an alternate scramble (most of the time that would indeed be the inverse of the regular scramble)
If the timer shuts down during the solve you should get another attempt, but sometimes (especially during blind solves) the stopwatch from the judge will be used
Most timer malfunctions happen because hands are not lifted from the timer entirely correct so the timer registers a 0.02 time (only happened to me once). This might get judges as a DNF, but most of the time you will get a replacement attempt with the inverse scramble

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Thanks for the encouragement, both Mike & Chris. I know I make improvements, this
weekly contest forum is one of the best instruments to measure that. And I do not have
to compare myself with you. There are lesser goals (and more realistic). And you are
kind enough to do 3 DNF:s sometimes so I can beat you then.

And I see you are busy Mike, both Guimard and BH. How long did Guimard take you?
Corner BH I suppose I am making a little step towards by myself when I better some
3-cycles in corner TurBo.

@Chris, your photo at WCA needs a little trimming. It must be exactly 200 x 300 pixels,
otherwise the picture is distorted (I guess, the same thing happened to me).

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the encouragement, both Mike & Chris. I know I make improvements, this
weekly contest forum is one of the best instruments to measure that. And I do not have
to compare myself with you. There are lesser goals (and more realistic). And you are
kind enough to do 3 DNF:s sometimes so I can beat you then.
I have a similar experience comparing myself to Chris (or even worse, Ville). :)

And I see you are busy Mike, both Guimard and BH. How long did Guimard take you?
Corner BH I suppose I am making a little step towards by myself when I better some
3-cycles in corner TurBo.
Guimond really only took a weekend. I printed out the algs from Erik's website and carried them around with me the whole weekend, and by the end I knew them all (although I was still sometimes slow to recall them). Another week or so got them pretty solid. It's not that much to do.

Since then I've been working on BH, and I have about half the algorithms memorized. I hope to have them all by the end of the week - it's surprisingly easy to learn BH, especially if you already know center commutators. I'm finally trying some solves with it - I'm still averaging around 4 minutes, and about 1 of 3 algorithms I use aren't BH algs, but it's improving, and I've had some sub-3 solves. I still stumble a bit with parity and twisted corners. I'm definitely only learning BH corners for now - once I finish them I MIGHT consider trying BH edges as well, but not for a while.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2
(4.90), 2.86, 4.82, 3.00, 2.94 = 3.59.

I got totally pwned this week, I'm like 5th place :| Shame about the counting 4.

3x3
4x4
Pyraminx
Megaminx
OH
2x2 BLD
3x3 BLD

all the rest will be done tomorrow evening :)

P

PeterV

Peter V:

2x2x2: 9.71, 10.76, (8.36), (12.34), 11.30 = 10.59 avg.
Comment: Good.

3x3x3: (28.20), 32.98, 30.07, (33.42), 33.30 = 32.12 avg.
Comment: Not so good, but at least consistent.

The timer didn't start on the third 2x2 solve, so I re-applied the scramble and solved again. Should this be counted as a DNF?
Yes.

Shucks. Why do I always DNF easy scrambles?

In competition the way it works if the timer doesn't start is that they will ask you to solve the cube (or if you're REALLY slow they'll get someone faster to do it) and then give you a different scramble. Because a timer malfunction is not considered to be your fault, you get a re-do instead of a DNF.

I wouldn't consider it a DNF because you didn't know the rules and because this is just practice, but next time, redo the solve with a new scramble (from CCT or cubemania or something like that).
That depends on the judge. If the timer didn't start because you didn't wait untill the green light comes on it isn't a timer malfunction so I would DNF you.
If the timer really didn't start (never happened to me before). You should be stopped by the judge and he will provide you with an alternate scramble (most of the time that would indeed be the inverse of the regular scramble)
If the timer shuts down during the solve you should get another attempt, but sometimes (especially during blind solves) the stopwatch from the judge will be used
Most timer malfunctions happen because hands are not lifted from the timer entirely correct so the timer registers a 0.02 time (only happened to me once). This might get judges as a DNF, but most of the time you will get a replacement attempt with the inverse scramble

Thanks for answering my question. I must've not held the timer long enough for the green light to come on, so I'll keep it as a DNF.

tsaoenator

Andy Tsao
5x5x5: 1:40.74, (2:01.42), (1:37.26), 1:55.04, 1:38.84 = 1:44.87 some nice solves and a decent average.
3x3x3: 12.43, 12.36, (11.38), 14.92, 12.63 = 12.47 ok I guess.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think you're right about that. And I think that's what went wrong for me the week of the Ohio Open, actually. I stopped doing 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 for a week so I could concentrate on lots of 5x5x5 BLD. And then suddenly I lost the ability to do them. It seems like I adjusted away from it being the "middle" cube, and all of a sudden I wasn't any good at it anymore.

Now I'm back to doing a 6x6x6 and 7x7x7 every week, and all of a sudden 5x5x5 is getting easier again. They were a little slow, still - I've slowed down on memorization - but I think it's starting to get better again. Hopefully I'll get back to current WR times again soon (which I'm sure is still 2-3 minutes slower than you are these days!).

Mike, do you find that doing the larger cubes makes you change your pacing on the 5x5x5? It seems like you might be tempted to go slower even on 5x5x5 if you do too much practice on bigger cubes? Or maybe it makes it seem like the 5x5x5 is so puny in comparison that you feel it is easier to go fast?

I wonder if doing more 4x4's than 5x5's means I tend to rush too quickly on 5x5 (trying to mimic my 4x4 pace)? Maybe I should do more 6x6 (just one step above 5x5) to make the 5x5 feel a bit easier? 7x7 would just be a once in a blue moon kind of thing haha. Much respect for your weekly solves on those monster cubes btw.

So what were your 5x5x5 DNF times like?

To be honest, and I am not trying to be rude or elitist in any way, I'd really rather not say. I do consider my DNFs to be total failures, since it is considered as such in competition. Having said that I feel better about a close DNF than a really bad DNF, but I rarely write down the time of a DNF even in my practice logs. And having said that, my DNFs this week were not particularly close DNFs :-S

(Oh, and by the way, I'm really starting to make progress on BH corners. I've worked my way through about half the cases now. It's really amazing how easy they get as you go.)

Yep, corners are great. Lots of repeating patterns in the cases.

Pop-quiz. Do the cycle UBL->FRU->DLB (This is one of my favorite case types for some reason) ;-)

--edit--
Another favorite: UBL->BUR->FRU ;-)

Chris

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
Didn't really do too much this week. I did them mostly earlier this week, but kept thinking I'd do more. Oh well.

3x3: 20.52, 21.34, 21.84, (15.84), (23.22) = 21.23

Pretty good :D that 15.84 was non-lucky.

2x2: 4.81, 3.09, 6.58, 6.72, 7.05 = 6.04

Great start, horrible finish. I messed up a lot on the last three. :(

Magic: 1.63, (1.46), (1.91), 1.58, 1.65 = 1.62

Good

Pyraminx: 9.63, 11.58, 9.69, (12.83), (7.71) = 10.30

Horrible average, I haven’t practiced this in a while.

234: 2:13:13
If not for DP on the 4x4 it probably would have been sub 2.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Mike, do you find that doing the larger cubes makes you change your pacing on the 5x5x5? It seems like you might be tempted to go slower even on 5x5x5 if you do too much practice on bigger cubes? Or maybe it makes it seem like the 5x5x5 is so puny in comparison that you feel it is easier to go fast?
It seems like I get faster on 5x5x5 after doing 6x6x6 and 7x7x7. It's strange, because I might have expected as you say to go slower after too much practice on bigger cubes. But it doesn't work that way - I do go faster after doing 6x6x6 and 7x7x7. On the other hand, after a 7x7x7 multi attempt, I do go slower on 5x5x5. I have the same problem after doing a big 3x3x3 multi - suddenly all my regular BLD solves go slower. It's like they're mutually exclusive events to each other. I always need a few days after a multi to recover my big cube BLD speed, and I hate that. But definitely doing the bigger cubes makes the smaller ones go faster for me.

I wonder if doing more 4x4's than 5x5's means I tend to rush too quickly on 5x5 (trying to mimic my 4x4 pace)? Maybe I should do more 6x6 (just one step above 5x5) to make the 5x5 feel a bit easier? 7x7 would just be a once in a blue moon kind of thing haha. Much respect for your weekly solves on those monster cubes btw.
A 7x7x7 per week sometimes feels like a bit much - it is a little overwhelming every time. But thanks to doing it, the 6x6x6 feels quite manageable. I don't know how it would work for you, but it does seem to be working for me. After my experience with the Ohio Open, I don't think I'm going to skimp on the bigger cubes ever again. :)

So what were your 5x5x5 DNF times like?
To be honest, and I am not trying to be rude or elitist in any way, I'd really rather not say. I do consider my DNFs to be total failures, since it is considered as such in competition. Having said that I feel better about a close DNF than a really bad DNF, but I rarely write down the time of a DNF even in my practice logs. And having said that, my DNFs this week were not particularly close DNFs :-S
I can respect that. I hope it doesn't bug you too much that I take the opposite approach. I find it less demoralizing to keep track of the positive aspects of my failures. I hope you don't respect me less because of it.

Pop-quiz. Do the cycle UBL->FRU->DLB (This is one of my favorite case types for some reason) ;-)
--edit--
It's funny - I was going over all the UBL->FRU->xxx cases just before I sat down now to the computer. I think I know that whole batch now. And I agree that those two are two of the most fun ones! The cyclic shifts still sort of blow my mind. (But I love it so much that UBL->BUR->FRU is one of my fastest cases now!) The one that I have the most trouble remembering of the UBL->FRU cases is UBL->FRU->LDF; I don't know why, but I keep forgetting how it should work. I'll have it down tonight, though, if it takes practicing it a hundred times.

So do you use UBL as your buffer? I know Daniel used URB as his buffer, and I always used UBL as my buffer, so I'm having to turn them all around as I go. What I'm actually doing is I'm looking at the case myself, trying to figure out what I think is an optimal solution, then looking at Daniel's case and comparing HTM and QTM to see if I'm as good. If I'm as good on both, I don't even bother to look at his case - I just use mine instead. I figure that if I figured it out myself, I'm more likely to remember it.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A 7x7x7 per week sometimes feels like a bit much - it is a little overwhelming every time. But thanks to doing it, the 6x6x6 feels quite manageable. I don't know how it would work for you, but it does seem to be working for me. After my experience with the Ohio Open, I don't think I'm going to skimp on the bigger cubes ever again. :)

Ok, you've convinced me to at least try 6x6BLD and see if it helps for 5x5x5. I do want to see how it affects my times with it, it's exciting to think it might help!

I can respect that. I hope it doesn't bug you too much that I take the opposite approach. I find it less demoralizing to keep track of the positive aspects of my failures. I hope you don't respect me less because of it.

Absolutely not, as I said in my previous post much respect! I just feel like I want to train my brain into thinking like I'm always in competition. At nationals 2008 I got a fast solve (5:30ish) for 4x4x4 BLD but it was a DNF. Stefan counted my cycles and it looks like I only did a wrong outer slice turn at some point in the middle. I remember the feeling of that was completely crushing, to know that one turn would have meant a super nice time for me instead of a DNF. Truthfully, I'm not trying to be ultra secretive. My solves this week were not close, each was off by about 10 pieces or more, but my times were 13:xx, 14:xx, 16:xx. They were not necessarily in that order. I don't know about memo for any of the solves. Keep in mind though that for 5x5x5 I am shooting for a 99% chance of having a success in a best of 2 round, which means I need to be aiming for 90% accuracy for any individual solve. This week was a far cry from that :-(

--edit--
It's funny - I was going over all the UBL->FRU->xxx cases just before I sat down now to the computer. I think I know that whole batch now. And I agree that those two are two of the most fun ones! The cyclic shifts still sort of blow my mind. (But I love it so much that UBL->BUR->FRU is one of my fastest cases now!) The one that I have the most trouble remembering of the UBL->FRU cases is UBL->FRU->LDF; I don't know why, but I keep forgetting how it should work. I'll have it down tonight, though, if it takes practicing it a hundred times.

Yeah cyclic shift cases are very cool IMO. The Per Specials cases are by far my favorite. I use the alg with the 5 move A part of the commutator. To me that commutator is just so beautiful as to how it achieves the affect it does.

Also, that case you list, UBL->FRU->LDF, is an "orthogonals" case by Daniel's and my naming scheme (10 moves optimal). To notice this one, even from different angles or on different faces, just notice that each sticker is perpendicular to the plane of both of the other two stickers. Hence the name "orthogonal".

So do you use UBL as your buffer?

Yeah I do use UBL as my buffer. We are standardizing BH to be URB buffer for the website, but I personally use UBL.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks, Chris!

Ok, you've convinced me to at least try 6x6BLD and see if it helps for 5x5x5. I do want to see how it affects my times with it, it's exciting to think it might help!

One comment about this - I do suspect that it's important, in order to get the benefit, that you try to go as fast as you can. I really try to go fast on 6x6x6 and 7x7x7. I might not be that successful at it, but trying helps. For memorization, I will memorize each set of pieces, go over that memorization once, and then go on to the next set of pieces, until I've done the whole thing except corners, and then go over the entire memorization once, then quickly memorize corners and start solving. So for 6x6x6 I memorize outer wings, go over outer wings, then memorize left obliques, then go over left obliques, etc. And for solving, try not to count the slices - just do it by feel. Start by scrambling without looking at the cube and without counting. If you can scramble accurately without counting, you can solve without counting, right? I am quite sure that with your skills, you should be able to do a 6x6x6 BLD in an hour or less for your next attempt. (Unless you're still too uncomfortable with obliques - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.) If you really try to go fast, you might just beat my UWR on your next try!

Jude

WCA
2008WRIG02
3x3x3: 19.19, 20.47, 19.50, 20.26, 20.05 = 19.94

3x3x3: 30.92, 31.02, 35.22, 27.78, 33.88 = 31.94 --> Ahh! The LL algs I got were a joke, 3 R perms, an F perm and a G perm (the sub 30). All the OLLs were my joint least favourite except one sune :p

3x3x3 BLD: DNF, 3:40.42, DNS = 3:40.42 --> ....

Pyraminx: 24.36, 13.36, 16.41, 14.89, 8.41 = 14.89 --> I got an only-marginally-bad solve on the end, but the rest were laughable

CBA to do the rest now, these are all too terrible it's put me off...

rahulkadukar

WCA
2009KADU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2x2 09.96 08.98 09.20 14.25 08.52 Best 08.52 Average 09.38 (PB)
3x3x3 33.40 38.69 38.77 38.61 35.43 Best 33.40 Average 37.58
4x4x4 02:41.88 02:33.71 02:00.23 02:34.72 02:19.99 Best 02:00.23 Average 02:29.47
5x5x5 04:56.15 04:21.33 05:05.14 04:39.22 04:57.11 Best 04:21.33 Average 04:50.83
6x6x6 07:35.52 07:57.22 07:32.83 07:51.79 08:11.38 Best 07:35.52 Average 07:48.18 (PB)
7x7x7 10:52.77 11:15.67 11:59.99 11:32.58 11:04.85 Best 10:52.77 Average 11:17.70 (PB)

3x3 OH 01:42.58 01:37.86 01:32.18 01:29.55 01:36.44 Best 01:29.55 Average 01:35.49(PB)
3x3 Feet Did Not Try
3x3 Match Cube Did Not Try

2x2x2 Blindfolded DNF 52.62 01:04.35 Best 52.62
3x3x3 Blindfolded 03:32.54 03:24.89 03:29.16 Best 03:24.89 (This is really bad.)
3x3x3 Multi Blind 3/3 18:05.72 Will try 6 next time, was quite busy.

234 Relay 3:16.22
2345 Relay 7:52.82

Megaminx 09:11.26 08:52.77 09:05.14 10:45.91 09:32.25 Best 08:52.77 (PB) Average 09:16.22 (PB)
Square 1 04:26.85 03:54.32 04:36.07 04:43.10 04:32.51 Best 03:54.32 (PB) Average 04:31.81 (PB)

I am referring to 3 different sources for Square 1 : Lars Vandenbergh , Jaap's Puzzle Page and Matthew Monroe's Page. I hope to get Sub 2 soon and then Sub 1. For Me Edge Permutation Su***.

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2x2 : 7.91, 8.80, 8.80, (12.08), (7.25) = 8.50

3x3x3 : 27.33, 32.69, (27.25), 33.09, (42.22) = 31.04
urgh.

4x4x4 : (3:08.50), 2:37.05, 2:16.06, (2:05.94), 2:45.46= 2:32.86

5x5x5 : 5:13.47, (4:53.93), (6:36.72), 5:30.33, 5:31.97= 5:25.26
I don't like this

2x2x2 BLD : 1:01.63, 1:37.34, 1:55.28 = 1:01.63
PB

3x3x3 BLD : DNF, DNF, 5:04.27 = 5:04.27
my best time so far with M2 edges, still not a pb though.

Multi BLD : 1/2 = 0 pts
4th ever attempt, same result each time.

3x3x3 Match : 2:02.97, 2:24.33, 2:58.00, (4:47.63), (1:51.94) = 2:28.43

2-3-4 relay : 3:58.59
I messed up on the 4x4

2-3-4-5 relay : 9:01.58

Pyraminx : 21.41, 21.41, (51.13), (18.38), 18.91= 20.58
PB average, although still bad.

Square-1 : = (4:25.61), 3:10.69, 2:58.68, 3:46.60, (2:43.86) = 3:18.66

Last edited:

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04