• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

OLL Recognition

Todd

Now forgive me if there have been threads on this before, I just couldnt find them :(

But there is a tonne of advice out there for learning and recognizing all the PLL cases which I am fine with but with the OLL's I only know about 20 of them.

I have trouble learning them because I will learn a set of OLLs but then when I am doing a solve I wont recognize which one to use (as sometimes the OLLs are very similar to others) and then consequently forget them.

Does anyone have any advice or something they did to learn/remember/recognize them?

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I usually relate OLLs to something specific to the algorithm. For example, it can be as simple as, "Oh, this OLL uses an algorithm that is similar to this case but with an X (where X is whatever move) at the end." Or I relate it by how it removes an F2L pair and places it back again. I used various little tricks like that in order to memorize OLL cases and relate their algorithms when I was learning OLL.

I hope that helps,
-Daniel

Last edited:

deadalnix

WCA
2008SECH01
Learn compound OLL then go to real OLL. It realy help !

You'll be able to focus on your regonition instead of leraning new algs. Then, when youe recognition will be beter, go to full OLL.

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn a small set for a few days, and do lots of slow solves. A lot. Not only will it improve your F2L, but you can have more time to recognize your OLL rather than speed through it.
I still have plenty of cases to learn, but I quickly revert to 2-Look OLL on many cases, and have accidentally done it on cases I know. That's why doing slow solves give you a chance to learn recognition more, so that when you're speedsolving again this won't happen on those cases.

Faster than slow solving, you can do several random PLLs with OLLs inbetween them w/o looking, and then look at your cube and identify the case, then solve it however you know how to.
When start on a new set, you can also use that method of practice to review previous OLLs, although until you learn them all you will be doing 2-Look OLL on different cases.

Good?