• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubers in Amsterdam

Swoncen

Hello!

I'm now in Amsterdam for the next 4 month. At the moment I'm all alone and I want to take the opportunity to meet some dutch cubers. Most of you don't know me - well I don't really cube that often, because I'm very busy but I'm really addicted to it. I come from Austria am 24 years old, doing my master thesis here on the University of Amsterdam and average ~35 seconds on the 3x3x3 with 4LLL. My goal is to learn now 2LLL as fast as possible, now that I have some time.

I'm living in Bergwijkdreef and I allready was in Amsterdam Cental by foot -> o_O <-

I was wondering if someone lives around here. If you meet for cubing would you please let me join you? =))

this is me: http://www.prip.tuwien.ac.at/people/zweng

greetz
Swoncen

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You know, Ron VB lives in Amsterdam ;)

Well, no, not quite IN Amsterdam, but not far outside, if I recall correctly.
You recall correctly :eek:
Does that mean you quit alcohol ;)

Good to hear from you again Swoncen. If you keep an eye out on the forum you should see an invitation for a cubemeeting this weekend (It is not my place to announce it so you will have to wait for details).

You also just missed two "local" competitions: Benelux and Belgian. The next thing that is "close" is Paris in 1.5 week.

I won't be at home much in the next 2 weeks, but after that we should meet. I work "close" to you in Hoofddorp

Swoncen

Good to hear from you again Swoncen. If you keep an eye out on the forum you should see an invitation for a cubemeeting this weekend (It is not my place to announce it so you will have to wait for details).

You also just missed two "local" competitions: Benelux and Belgian. The next thing that is "close" is Paris in 1.5 week.

I won't be at home much in the next 2 weeks, but after that we should meet. I work "close" to you in Hoofddorp

Thanks for that information. I just arrived yesterday and from tomorow on I'm going to work real hard for my thesis. If there is a cube-meeting I'll sure come if it is not that far away like Paris *g*.

Here in Amsterdam everyone is so friendly. I really love that city. Currently I'm looking for a indoor swimming pool to do some sports here besides table tennis. I also learned something: "Karnemelk" is buttermilk *rofl*. Not so tasty for cornflakes. =)

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
I Andreas,

I work in Amsterdam and live about 35km from Amsterdam.
I'm also member of a swimming-club in Amsterdam.
If you are a serious swimmer I could introduce you there and you could swim some distance with us. We swim in "Sloterparkbad" in the west of Amsterdam.
Anoter option is "van Galenbad" near the centre. each monday-evening there is a student-swimming hour with serious workouts.

Let me know if you are interested.

Gus

Swoncen

I Andreas,

I work in Amsterdam and live about 35km from Amsterdam.
I'm also member of a swimming-club in Amsterdam.
If you are a serious swimmer I could introduce you there and you could swim some distance with us. We swim in "Sloterparkbad" in the west of Amsterdam.
Anoter option is "van Galenbad" near the centre. each monday-evening there is a student-swimming hour with serious workouts.

Let me know if you are interested.

Gus

No, I'm not a very serious swimmer. I was never in a team neither am I fast *g*. I just wanted to swim and try getting faster but if thats ok with you then it would be cool to join you. Thanks for your offer.

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
No, I'm not a very serious swimmer. I was never in a team neither am I fast *g*. I just wanted to swim and try getting faster but if thats ok with you then it would be cool to join you. Thanks for your offer.

Andreas,

At our club we have some low-speed lanes. I you like I could introduce you there on any wednesday from 18:15 - 19:15. I could pick you up at Amsterdam Amstel Trainstation at about 17:30h. You can reach it by Metro very easily. Just let me know.

There are several options to swim at your own.
Check out http://zwembad.startpagina.nl/ and search for Amsterdam of A'dam.
A lovely place to swim, at least once during your stay, is Zuiderbad, near the centre, old and beautiful.
Close to your place is het Bijlmerbad.

See ya,

Gus

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
...Anoter option is "van Galenbad" near the centre. each monday-evening there is a student-swimming hour with serious workouts....
Obviously, that should be the first and only option :)

(and Erik is having a cube meeting this weekend in Enschede. He did sent out an email, but I don't think he posted something on the forum (yet))

Swoncen

puh... Enschede is a little bit far from here, but if everyone is invited, I will come.

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
puh... Enschede is a little bit far from here, but if everyone is invited, I will come.
Everyone is invited, so you will come :D

You should also learn to make use of the Dutch-ad-hoc-Carpooling system. That means that you contact other Dutch cubers and ask/offer them to share a ride. This can be done through this forum (PM), mail or personal (phone) contact.

For example, Erik asked me if I could give him a ride to his own cubemeeting. We will meet on friday, pick up Lars in Belgium, sleep at Raphi's place in Luxemburg and then go back to his place :eek:. On Saturday/Sunday we will inverse this process. If I calculated correctly, Erik will travel about 2000 km for a cube meeting at his own place :cool:

Swoncen

hahaha - nice system. Well if it is possible I would like to come but I don't know which persons I should ask to share a ride? I don't know who is even coming =)

Anyway it would be really great to be at a cubing event - since yesterday I'm a proud owner of a new Canon EOS 450D with a nice 18-200mm Lens, so I can test it also on this event. I'm very excited! I think I should learn now 2LLL *g*

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hahaha - nice system. Well if it is possible I would like to come but I don't know which persons I should ask to share a ride? I don't know who is even coming =)

Anyway it would be really great to be at a cubing event - since yesterday I'm a proud owner of a new Canon EOS 450D with a nice 18-200mm Lens, so I can test it also on this event. I'm very excited! I think I should learn now 2LLL *g*
Just send Erik a PM for details