• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The New Rubik's Timer

AbelBrata

WCA
2009BRAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rubik's Timer
rubtmr.gif

Guys, what do you think about it?
I think it's pretty cool :rolleyes:
Is it gonna be used in competitions?
or we'll still use Stackmat Timer...

burntbizzkit

I have this timer and I think it's great for practice, but it will never be used in an official competition because it's way to difficult prevent competitors from 'cheating', whether it is on purpose or accidental. Turning the cube before and/or after the timer has started is very easy. The stackmat does a great job of ensuring that competitors cannot touch the cube before and after the timer has started.

This timer is great for practice, but offers nothing additional to a competition environment because scrambles are determined in advance and averages are calculated by the judges.

Scott

I have it too, I think it is terrible.

The averaging is awefull. Say you do a 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 sessions. Well instead of giving you the average for one cube, it gives you the average times for all of them. Also, because the photocell is inconsistant, it sometimes does really fast times like 0.04 seconds. And you cant delete these, they are automaticaly counted.

Two thumbs down.

Cubefactor

That's harsh...

Yes this timer isn't meeting our standards, but overall intent is nothing to shame. After some reasonable adjustments I'd like to see the averages/scrambles feature built into a standard stackmat. (generation 2 with these features would be brilliant.)

The chances of this coming to reality are slim however since the overall interest in this product would probably not meet the cost of manufacturing. <_<

I'd honestly like to see something portable designed. The gen2 clip off timer is fun, but I say we go smaller. I want something I can put in my pocket. Or my wallot! Lets visit the future and get something :p

"You quit?" -- "No, I'm just not going to go anymore"

-Richard

burntbizzkit

Yes, and why stop at the wallet size? I think surgically implanted timing devices are the way of the future. We could implant a microscopic timing device behind our ear and adjust it to intercept our brain waves. From there, the device can detect when we have started the cube and when we have finished, and it can send our brain the time for that solve. We will just 'know' how fast each solve is. Additionally, the device will utilize unused sections of our brain for keeping track of previous times and calculating averages. This device could also be hacked to allow a perfect internal clock...you will always know what time it is! :)

Scott

Originally posted by Cubefactor@Mar 30 2006, 07:59 AM
That's harsh...

Yes this timer isn't meeting our standards, but overall intent is nothing to shame. After some reasonable adjustments I'd like to see the averages/scrambles feature built into a standard stackmat. (generation 2 with these features would be brilliant.)

The chances of this coming to reality are slim however since the overall interest in this product would probably not meet the cost of manufacturing. <_<

I'd honestly like to see something portable designed. The gen2 clip off timer is fun, but I say we go smaller. I want something I can put in my pocket. Or my wallot! Lets visit the future and get something :p

"You quit?" -- "No, I'm just not going to go anymore"

-Richard
Haha, why not just make a two-fold wallet, with each side being a button? lol!

korkow

Problem is, stackmats are made for speed *stacking*, not speed *cubing*. They wouldn't ever implement averages and such because the majority of their customers are speedstackers... I think. Although, I totally think a walet stackmat would be SWEET.