• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Cross

doubleyou

ok, a little week ago I forced myself to school the cross. before I was used to "freestyle" thru the solving of the cross. even if i had the 15 sec inspection I trid only to plan out maybe two of the pieces.

I also used cube rotation WAY too much. this confused me more than it helped, just a habbit I got.

ok, so I convinced myself that keeping the white face on bottom at all times is the way forward.
and I tried to see the logic behind this and how to plan out everything. By connecting each piece to the existing piece in the cross helped me remembering the whole solve.

what I am working on now is how to "create" shortcuts for solving flips at the same time. atm I have trouble with this and I am experiencing misplaced pieces when I I think I am finished.

well my cross times has gone down from 10 sec to as little as 3-5 sec.

but I can really imagine 1-3 times in the futur

and well a decent cross also helps me on the flow into the F2L

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Try getting it under 8 moves or less everytime, and being able to plan the entire thing out in 15 seconds... it becomes easy once you get the hang of it.

tenderchkn

You should practice by doing cross with your eyes closed. Give yourself as much time as you need to plan it out, close your eyes, and solve. Then work your way up to 15 seconds. Then give yourself 10 seconds with eyes open, 5 seconds, and work your way up to no inspection. While doing it in 7 moves or less, of course.

Edit: You don't always need to start with white on the bottom. Sometimes, it's easier to solve cross with the white face on another angle (usually F or U).

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to do cross on U, but everyone said that was bad. So I changed to D. I have started to try placing the cross on a different face to give me the easiest set of moves.

I need to improve my cross, alot.

gillesvdp

Well, doing the cross on top is not exactly very bad but it has the disadvantage to prevent you from foreseeing where the pieces you need next are.

If you remember, the 11.75 WR was done using cross on top.
However, it is unlikely that someone will achieve sub10 with cross on top. ;-)

doubleyou

do you guys have some tips for planning?

ex. if I have two flipped edges, I can fix both if they are next to each other etc etc?

+other shortcuts?

edges that can be placed in one move.. first? or last? etc

what is smart? and what is ineficient to do?

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should work out all the tricks yourself.

Its inefficient to place one piece at a time, see how you can move two pieces in one move. Just take your time, and plan the shortest solution.

doubleyou

yea I guess I should learn all these kinds of tricks on my own by experience but I have read Dans cross explanation many times. I keep forgetting the all the weighpoints tho. they'll come in time I think..

thanks all!!