• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I can't do it!

yumology

I can solve the cube using a non-speed method, but i want to learn how to speedcube. So this is what i've done so far.

Bought a nice fast cube, I took it apart, oiled it with silocon oil, filed down any rough edges, it moves faster than I do, it's good speed for me.

Downloaded and printed all the permutations, and orientations, and fully understand where they apply.

Practiced for hours using special speed tricks like triggers.

At this point, so far so good, having no problems with anything and its all quite fun.

Attempted to memorize the permutations and orientations. When I try to actually memorize this stuff it gets out of hand too too fast. i don't know where to begin. I can do the cross just fine, and i can figure out the first 2 layers logically but not using speed methods, so I first tried to learn all the combinations of the first 2 layers, and as I progress through them systematically memorizing 1 at a time i get overloaded and end up staring at the cube for long periods of time before adjusting it to the right position and executing the moves necissary.

Working on just the first 2 layers for weeks and not fully getting them is frustrating because my friends constantly say "still can't get it solved yet eh" and I want results myself! so i quit learning the first 2 layers half way through and work on the orientation part of the next step, I memorize a few of those but then realize maybe I should just work on the permutations since theres less moves to memorize for that. But then everything collapses in my head and I forget everything!

I think my biggest question here is what's the laziest way to learn this stuff? I work hard at it but for short bursts and nothing gets done, maybe if i develop a lazy mans method of practicing 10 minutes a day i might have it all memorized in a few months.

any practice tips are much appreciated also.

burntbizzkit

yumology

what if while solving the cube I don't get an orientation similiar to oll 16 and 54?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I have been working on F2L, and learning the 41 algs for that, I just work with one, and solve it like 10 times without looking at any paper to make sure I have it. Then do that for each one I come across. Practice them over and over. I havent even began to learn OLL/PLL yet, just a few common cases of each. Good luck!
Pat

burntbizzkit

Originally posted by yumology@Mar 26 2006, 07:33 PM
what if while solving the cube I don't get an orientation similiar to oll 16 and 54?
When you finish F2L, use OLL 16 to make the 'cross' on top, then use OLL 54 to orient the remaining corners. You may need to use OLL 54 a couple times, but it will always orient the remaining corners if applied properly.

Finally, use the first PLL to permute the edges and the final PLL to permute the corners.

yumology

wow thats a huge help burntbizzkit. HUGE! i wish i knew that years ago! thanks a lot for that helpful tip

burntbizzkit

Originally posted by yumology@Mar 27 2006, 02:01 AM
wow thats a huge help burntbizzkit. HUGE! i wish i knew that years ago! thanks a lot for that helpful tip
No problem. That's how I learned. As for memorization of the remaining algs, I took my time with that. I just learned maybe 3 a week by just repeating them over and over to get them into muscle memory. It took me 2 years, but I never once was overwhelmed with anything and never forgot an alg. :)

Richard

Yeah, i've been solving the cube for around 2 months or so now. I used the beginners method until just recently, when i've been working on the f2l. You just need to keep repeating the different cases over and over until your muscles just remember them. This is what i did and am currently doing. I first started to learn all f2l cases with white on the left side of the corner piece (of course with white cross on bottom). I didn't bother with white on top or white on the left, because i can move those until they have white on left. The cuts back on how many algorithms you need before you can solve the f2l using that method. Once you are comfortable with all cases with white on the left of the corner piece you can move on. I'd take my time on this though and make sure you understand what's happening...or else you WILL just forget them. And that's about all my advice....for now ;P

yumology

burntbizzkit wrote:

When you finish F2L, use OLL 16 to make the 'cross' on top, then use OLL 54 to orient the remaining corners. You may need to use OLL 54 a couple times, but it will always orient the remaining corners if applied properly.

Well if i make the cross on top why can't i use OLL 49 to finish the orientation part, why use OLL 54 instead?