• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Quick Question...

Fartix

Is the Fridrich Method the same as the Layer-by-Layer method, because it looks the same...

Cubinator

No. Layer by layer is inserting the corners of the first layer followed by the edges of the middle layer. Fridrich is inserting both a corner and an edge at the same time.

Fartix

Wait... So how does the Fridrich Method work? How do you insert a Corner and Edge at the same time?

If you're looking to learn F2L, here are some nice links.

These two sites basically teach the same thing, but they use different algorithms.
http://www.snkenjoi.com/wikicube/index.php...e=Intuitive_F2L
http://dougreed.no-ip.org/~doug/f2l/f2l.htm

And here is, in my opinion, the best F2L video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKvOXE__CM

This site lists all 41 cases.
http://www.cubestation.co.uk/cs2/index.php...x3/cfop/f2l/f2l

Just remember, you're not trying to learn 41 algorithms, you're learning it intuitively.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by Cubinator@May 9 2007, 03:20 AM
Basically, you pair up the corner and the edge and then insert them to the correct positions. There are 41 (I think) algorithms required to do this; I recommend you try to find them all (or most of them, anyway) on your own. I learned from this: http://dougreed.no-ip.org/~doug/f2l/f2l.htm
As you know I'd rather not refer to them as 'algorithms' you can figure them out yourself after knowing a few standard ones, it's faster to figure out the rest yourself than to 'learn' all algorithms...

Originally posted by Erik@May 9 2007, 04:09 AM
As you know I'd rather not refer to them as 'algorithms' you can figure them out yourself after knowing a few standard ones, it's faster to figure out the rest yourself than to 'learn' all algorithms...
Pay lots of attention to Erik's post, especially everything in bold.

Fartix

I still don't really understand it. How do I pair up a corner with an edge?

Cubinator

Originally posted by Erik+May 9 2007, 08:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Erik @ May 9 2007, 08:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cubinator@May 9 2007, 03:20 AM
Basically, you pair up the corner and the edge and then insert them to the correct positions. There are 41 (I think) algorithms required to do this; I recommend you try to find them all (or most of them, anyway) on your own. I learned from this: http://dougreed.no-ip.org/~doug/f2l/f2l.htm
As you know I'd rather not refer to them as 'algorithms' you can figure them out yourself after knowing a few standard ones, it's faster to figure out the rest yourself than to 'learn' all algorithms... [/b][/quote]
I haven't learned any algorithms; I do F2L completely intuitively and don't usually think of it as doing algorithms. However, I think it's the easiest way to refer to them, especially since they are algorithms: they're predetermined sequences of moves to accomplish a certain task.

Fartix: Read and re-read the pages.

zuko

Originally posted by Fartix@May 10 2007, 01:34 AM
ive never seen any of your other posts so i do not know if you can solve a cube or not, but if you havnt already learn to solve the cube with a easy layer-by-layer method. you will see eventually that sometimes when you insert a coner for the first layer, a second layer middle peice will be beside it(or directly below it once you place it in its spot) and will be in the correct place when you move on to the second layer. what the fridich method does is, puts all the corners in the right place with the correct second layer edge peice at the same time. So i suggest if you havnt already learn to solve the cube first, after you can do that decently you will start to understand what is going on while putting the pieces in place. but like all the other guys said, dont look at like your learning alg's for it.

doubleyou

as a beginner you dont realize this (at least not everybody does) what you do in the first two layers is that you use the upper layer as your working layer. if one piece (say a corner) is in a wrong slot, then you first move it to the upper layer. then insert it in the right slot. when using Fridrich you learn to place the edge first in upper layer, then put the corner up right next to it correctly, and then insert them both after.

how you pair them up varies from case to case.

an algsorithm changes only certain pieces position. and leave all other pieces. thats the beauty of an algorithm. but wich is not the case in the F2L.

Fartix

Originally posted by zuko+May 10 2007, 02:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (zuko @ May 10 2007, 02:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fartix@May 10 2007, 01:34 AM
ive never seen any of your other posts so i do not know if you can solve a cube or not, but if you havnt already learn to solve the cube with a easy layer-by-layer method. you will see eventually that sometimes when you insert a coner for the first layer, a second layer middle peice will be beside it(or directly below it once you place it in its spot) and will be in the correct place when you move on to the second layer. what the fridich method does is, puts all the corners in the right place with the correct second layer edge peice at the same time. So i suggest if you havnt already learn to solve the cube first, after you can do that decently you will start to understand what is going on while putting the pieces in place. but like all the other guys said, dont look at like your learning alg's for it. [/b][/quote]
Yes, I know how to solve a cube. My record is 1:03.88.

tenderchkn

Originally posted by Fartix@May 9 2007, 06:34 PM
Think about how your solve your middle layer edges. You basically take the corner out, pair the edge to the corner, and put them both in as a pair. So, in essence, you insert corner, take out corner, pair, and insert. In Fridrich F2L, you skip the first two steps because they are redundant.