• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

avoiding 4x4 pairity problems

spy1325

Is there anything i can do while pairing up my edge pairs, to reduce the probability of a parity error? The Algs for a fliped edge pair is essentially giant, and takes a long time to execute.

tenderchkn

Edge parity is created while solving the centers. I remember Chris Hardwick saying something about odd or even number of turns creates the parity. But in any case, however you try to recognize it, it'll take you longer than the 5 seconds or whatever it is that it takes you to do the parity alg.

Fred

You could count how many edges are oriented correctly according to the common BLD definition as you pair them up. Or you could use a different method.

Fred

Oh, that makes sense. Once you have three centers, you can't do a slice move to change parity. That's why I leave a slice free until the very end.

I'm still wondering, though. Is it advantageous to know at the end of the edge-pairing stage that you have a parity problem? I know it would be a pain to count how many edges are oriented correctly, but I think that with practice, it wouldn't slow you down too much.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I'd be interested in learning how you "look ahead" to prevent a parity.. what to look for, etc. Eventhough it may take longer than the time to fix, I am still interested in learning. Thanks

Fred

I don't look ahead to prevent parity. I use a different method from reduction, which solves a slice last, so my parity fix is just a slice move.

For the reduction method, I was suggesting the idea that you count the number of "correcty oriented" edges as you pair them up, and maybe that could help in some way. It seems to me that it would be an easier alg to do a parity fix at the beginning of the 3x3x3 stage than near the end.