• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best place to buy cubes cheaply (4x4,5x5)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I am looking to pick up a 4x4, and a 5x5 cube. What is the best place to buy them cheaply? The cheapest I have found for 5x5 is $30 and for 4x4 is $24, both prices include shipping. Anyone know a better place? I wouldnt mind buying used either. Thanks

Scott

whatever you do... DO NOT EBAY them... you can almost NEVER get those cubes off ebay for a good deal. i recommend good ol' www.rubiks.com, then disasemble it and spray that bad boy down with some silocone.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Can you give me Tysons contacts please?

As far as eBay, why not eBay? The best deals I see are off eBay so far. I'll check rubiks.com, but arent they pretty expensive there?
Patrick

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Originally posted by Scott@Mar 24 2006, 01:54 AM
whatever you do... DO NOT EBAY them... you can almost NEVER get those cubes off ebay for a good deal. i recommend good ol' www.rubiks.com, then disasemble it and spray that bad boy down with some silocone.
Yeah.. I think Rubiks.com isn't a bad idea.

For the 5x5, you can also modify some edges to made it go faster. I did that with my 5x5, and it works perfectly. Contact me if you want to know how to do this.

Bye,

Jo?l.

dougreed

I'm interested in it, and I know a lot of others probably are, too. Why don't you write a little howto with some pictures and post it on these forums?

-Doug

Scott

There is a slight modification i do to the 3x3 to make it more "finger-trick-able".

On newer cubes, the centers have arounded inside edge. Take some sandpaper, and sand of the round edges so it's nice and flat.

This way, the cube turns more freely, and doesn't have to be perfectly squared up to turn in a different direction.

As for the 5x5x5 trick, no idea.

dougreed

Well, I know Per was telling me about a 5x5x5 modification one time, but I'm not really sure if it's the same thing that Joel is talking about. Can't say I remember what it is, though.

-Doug

FrankMorris

Premium Member
WCA
2003MORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is a modification that you can do. It is sanding down the wings. If you take apart the 5x5, and take a wing edge and a + center, and put move the pieces by each other, you will see that part of the wing is too thick, and resists the + center from sliding by a bit.

The problem that I have had when doing this, is that I didn't do a good enough job of preserving the "round-ness" of the wing, and so the cube now has a rattling sound with it. Well, actually I have attempted this twice now.. the first was horrible, and the x centers were twisting machines, so I threw those pieces away. The second was better, but still not like Grant Tregay's cube. (He found the mod)

I don't know. I think that just working the cube in is the best bet. Either that or what until a better product is out. I heard that a Rubik's Studio 5x5x5 is on the way with this mod already done. Check on twistypuzzles.com for that info.