• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can't find algorithms

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
I need certain algorithms for specific things. I want to switch a middle layer piece, with another middle layer piece. Sometimes I have to take it out and put it on the top layer, then put it on the other side, then put the other one in(takes 3 algorithms) Couldn't I just have one where I could switch them? One for:
2 middle layer pieces right next to each other
2 middle layer pieces opposite each other.
3 middle layer pieces all switched...etc., etc.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Athefre

2 middle layer pieces right next to each other

If the two are both on F then do F2U2F2U2F2

If both are on R layer do R2U2R2U2R2, etc.

2 middle layer pieces opposite each other.

F2UR2U2R2U2R2UF2

3 middle layer pieces all switched...etc., etc.

R2ER2E'

Some others since you said etc.

FR and BR switched and FL and BL switched - R2E2R2E2

All 4 diagonally switched - M2E'M2E (rare case for LBL)

1 middle piece misoriented (and in right place) at FR - L'U2LDRUR'U'F'UFD'L'U2L (RUMU2M2UR'U'M2U2M' is good also)

2 middle pieces misoritented (and in right place) at FL and FR - R2FMF'R2FM'F'R2ER2E' (EFEFEF2E'FE'FE'F2 also)

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Sweet! 50% of the time the pieces were in the right place, but misoriented once I was finished executing the algorithms though. Then I would have to do the algorithm for orienting the piece in the right place. (I like to do R2U2FR2U2R'UR' rather than L'U2LDRUR'U'F'UFD'L'U2L, lol) Dunno if it will be good to do these algs and risking the pieces misoriented. o.o

Athefre

Sweet! 50% of the time the pieces were in the right place, but misoriented once I was finished executing the algorithms though. Then I would have to do the algorithm for orienting the piece in the right place.

Do you mean you were executing them wrong? I just checked them again and they do what they are supposed to do. Do each one backwards and you will see what they do.

(I like to do R2U2FR2U2R'UR' rather than L'U2LDRUR'U'F'UFD'L'U2L, lol)

I can't get yours to work, do you mind re-writing it?

Dunno if it will be good to do these algs and risking the pieces misoriented. o.o

"Algorithms" don't change each time you perform them so you don't have to worry about that when solving.

tenderchkn

Originally posted by Lt-UnReaL@Jan 11 2007, 11:26 PM
Sweet! 50% of the time the pieces were in the right place, but misoriented once I was finished executing the algorithms though. Then I would have to do the algorithm for orienting the piece in the right place. (I like to do R2U2FR2U2R'UR' rather than L'U2LDRUR'U'F'UFD'L'U2L, lol) Dunno if it will be good to do these algs and risking the pieces misoriented. o.o
Well, yeah, you can't execute them blind. But it is easy to know if they are going to be correctly flipped after you apply the algorithm. The F color stays the same after you apply R2U2R2U2R2, so if the front color is already correct, the edges are correctly flipped.

For the other case (switching FL and FR edges), you can just do RUR' y [whatever you normally do]. After that, the other edge will be popped out and you're homefree.

The odds of these situations coming up are very low anyway, so I wouldn't worry about them if I were you.

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Oh, okay. And Athefre, the alg for orienting the middle piece(flipping the piece in the same spot) I do
R2U2FR2F'U2R'UR' ...Oops, I left out the F', sorry, lol.

Is there an alg for switching 2 diagonal corners for the top layer?(and not messing up the other 2 correct corners)

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Well, I mean just for orienting the corners. For the last layer, I get the cross, orient the corners, then orient the layer, then permutate the layer.
Do you know one where I could just orient 2 opposite corners?

annon

Originally posted by Lt-UnReaL@Jan 17 2007, 10:09 PM
Read my last post again please. =x
For the sake of terminology, a corner has 3 colors. An edge has 2. Are you looking for orienting edges or corners?

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
annon - corners.

AvGalen - But that is for PLL. I am talking about right after I get the cross for OLL, there are 2 corners in the right place, and 2 corners in the wrong place. The 2 wrong corners are opposite, same for the right corners.(They are in the right place but not oriented) So I want to switch the 2 opposite wrong corners, without doing LU'R'UL'U'R two times.

tenderchkn

Originally posted by Lt-UnReaL@Jan 18 2007, 10:04 PM
annon - corners.

AvGalen - But that is for PLL. I am talking about right after I get the cross for OLL, there are 2 corners in the right place, and 2 corners in the wrong place. The 2 wrong corners are opposite, same for the right corners.(They are in the right place but not oriented) So I want to switch the 2 opposite wrong corners, without doing LU'R'UL'U'R two times.
Right, like I said, either a V-perm or a Y-perm.

For you guys who are confused, he's doing a Petrus LL. Or at least using Petrus algs.

It doesn't matter if the corners are oriented or not, V-perm and Y-perm will switch two diagonal corners. Try it.

However, while doing Sunes for orientation does not permute the corners, most OLLs you learn later on will. You should do orientation first, then learn a corner 3-cycle and a edge 3-cycle to permute, along with seven OLLs and either V-perm or Y-perm to do a full 4-look LL>

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Oh, yeah, dunno what I was thinking. Well I get the cross first, then orient corners, then orient the last layer, then permute edges. Easier that way I think. Unless there is an easier way?

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Originally posted by Johannes91@Jan 19 2007, 12:13 PM
R' U' R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2
Thanks! This one worked. Although I tried it out, and just doing the normal alg twice is actually a second faster than that, but maybe I should use it since it works extremely well when you have a bowtie with only 2 opposite correct corners.

annon

Originally posted by AvGalen@Jan 19 2007, 01:15 PM
Actually I don't use
R U R' U R U' R' U R U' R' U R U2 R.
I use
R' F' L' F R F' L F.
I used that one for a while, but I can actually execute my current one much more quickly.