• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Results - May 29-June 4, 2006

dougreed

2x2x2:
1. Erik Akkersdijk.............4.90
2. Thom Barlow.................6.12
3. Bob Burton..................9.78

4. Michael Fung...............14.74

3x3x3:
1. Yu Jeong-Min...............14.29
2. Andrew Kang................14.44
3. Erik Akkersdijk............17.08

4. Michael Fung...............17.82
5. Thom Barlow................19.08
6. Gilles van den Peereboom...20.56
7. Bob Burton.................22.10
8. Patrick Kelly..............31.99
9. Imad Khan..................49.15

4x4x4:
1. Michael Fung.............1:07.40
2. Erik Akkersdijk..........1:28.36
3. Andrew Kang..............1:43.80

5x5x5:
1. Michael Fung.............2:16.77
2. Andrew Kang..............3:24.21

Hazel

Premium Member
12-year bump! It's fun to see that back in 2006 people were getting low-2 minute averages in 5x5 and winning the forum competition, and now you need at least a sub-1 average. With a 2:16 average you won't even get into the top 30 in the forum competitions now. How long will it be before a sub-1 minute average won't earn you a high spot in these types of competitions? Will that ever happen?
Sorry for such an old and slightly off-topic bump, I just find this interesting and I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, how did you find this thread? Mats and I have been looking for the oldest forum competition results, but have not been able to go beyond the fifth competition of 2007. We would love to include the earlier results if we can find them; if you can locate them, please PM me or Mats Bergsten with the links to them. Thanks for finding this!

By the way, a 2:16.77 5x5x5 time was pretty impressive back then. At that point, about the only person who could consistently sub-2 a 5x5x5 was Frank Morris. Remember that at the time, the V-Cubes weren't out yet, and even though it might seem silly to think it now, when the V-Cube 5x5x5 came out it was a huge improvement over previous hardware.

Hazel

Premium Member
Wow, how did you find this thread? Mats and I have been looking for the oldest forum competition results, but have not been able to go beyond the fifth competition of 2007. We would love to include the earlier results if we can find them; if you can locate them, please PM me or Mats Bergsten with the links to them. Thanks for finding this!

By the way, a 2:16.77 5x5x5 time was pretty impressive back then. At that point, about the only person who could consistently sub-2 a 5x5x5 was Frank Morris. Remember that at the time, the V-Cubes weren't out yet, and even though it might seem silly to think it now, when the V-Cube 5x5x5 came out it was a huge improvement over previous hardware.
I just went to "Forum Competitions" and went to the last page, those ones are closed for replies though so I went forward a few pages from there.