• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Online competition

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Dear members,

Would any of you be interested in having an online competition on this forum?

I think it would be a fun idea to have a 'competition' subforum where we organise small online weekly competitions. My idea is this: An organiser could post one thread per week with scrambles, and members can post their results. In the last post of the thread, at the end of the week, the organiser will make a ranking list for that week, and close the thread. Maybe the organiser can also store the results in a database of some kind.

Do any of you like this idea? Of course, there is also the sunday contest, but for BLD cubing, 4x4, 5x5 and megaminx, one handed and other puzzles, there isn't a contest (I don't think it's sensible to organise all of these, btw ;)).

The question is: Would you be interested in joining these competitions, what kind of category's would you like to compete in? And what should be the format? (Average of 5, Average of 10, Mean of 3?)

- Jo?l.

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Ok.. I will be the first one to give my opinion...

As for the format, I think the format should be average of 5 in most cases (5 solves, average of middle 3). The reason for this is, that it doesn't take a lot of time to compete, and 5 solves give a good representation of someones capabilities.

For the puzzles, I would be interested in 5x5 and megaminx.

- Jo?l.

dougreed

Heh, well, I don't even compete in the Sunday contest very often, but I do think another contest would be great for getting more people registered and active on the forum.

-Doug

Richard

This sounds like a great idea to me.

I would say that an average of 5 solves would get the job done. As you said, it only takes a few minutes, and these times should give a fairly accurate representation of the cubers skills. It would be neat if someone could keep track of everyones times and save that info away somewhere. This way we could see all the improvement over time ;p

Also, would people be interested in having a competition to see who could solve the given scramble in the shortest amounts of moves? Just a thought.

dougreed

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 19 2006, 07:45 AM
i am, but we would need some kinda verification. perhaps videos?
Not really sure why we'd need verification. No online competition that I know of has even required videos. I don't think there have really been any problems either...

Sure, there is always the possibility that some no-name cuber shows up claiming a 12s average, but I haven't seen that happen before and I don't think there would really be enough on the line to warrant that kind of verification.

-Doug

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Scott,

I agree with Doug... This is really going to be very unofficial. We just have to trust each other.. Besides, this forum is supossed to be a nice and friendly community. I don't see why anyone would have fun when they lie about their results.

Important question: What puzzle would you guys like to compete in?"

dougreed

Well, 3x3x3 is allways good because that's what everyone learns on :)

But I haven't done an online 4x4x4 comp since Raul Garcia ran the Friday contest. I would definitely look forward to competing in that.

-Doug

mizzle

I would compete in 4x4, fewest moves (any sort would be fine with me, especially FMC in under 1 minute), perhaps some 2x2, and am open to suggestions.

This is a great idea, guys. Let's make it work.

dougreed

What do you guys think about a cube-triathalon?

Simple average of 3, allowed one puzzle defect:
3x3x3, 4x4x4, 5x5x5.

-Doug

dougreed

Well actually now that I think about it, newbies might be more tempted to compete if I change 5x5x5 to 2x2x2... but I'm not really certain, and I know a lot of people that don't have a 2x2x2 but do have a 5x5x5.

-Doug

BillT

I'd go for the triathalon, but why not make it a quad-athalon? :p Also, rather than setting up an average of each individual time, solve all cubes in one attempt, ranked by total time. Frank Morris has a video of himself solving the 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5 in under 4 minutes. I tried this once and managed to get under 6 minutes.

Richard

Well, i know that i personally only have a 3x3x3, so that's the only thing i could compete in. We may want to do a competition in that, and then the triatholon or whatever it is as a whole seperate competition

Smoid

Yeah awsome idea. I have only a 3x3, but have been trying like crazy to get a 2x2,magic and 4x4 <_< . So i vote for a 3x3, a 2x2 and maybe magic or 4x4 :)

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Originally posted by Smoid@Mar 21 2006, 02:54 AM
Yeah awsome idea. I have only a 3x3, but have been trying like crazy to get a 2x2,magic and 4x4 <_< . So i vote for a 3x3, a 2x2 and maybe magic or 4x4 :)
Right...

For now, I would say: keep it small and simple... But, if a lot more people want the same thing, sure, we can organise that.

Jo?l.