• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Solving the cross quickly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
How exactly do you all solve the cross? When I solve the cross, I solve the white cross on the bottom, without paying attention to anything else. Once I have the white cross on the bottom, I then line up the edges with the centers. I think this is an inefficient way to solve it. How did you all learn to solve the cross, and what tips to you have to get faster? Thanks
Patrick

Scott

The cross is all intuition.

What i dont recommend though, is solving the cross with each edge on the correct face. I solve them in the correct color order, but then after that i just do an D turn to finish it. That should save you 5 seconds, at least.

dougreed

For me, it isn't really important what order I do it in. I can get it in 2-3s every time, tops, if I plan it all out ahead. Then it's all about smooth execution and looking ahead for your first F2L pair.

Oh, it also helps to look for finger tricks in the cross. I know people tend to say that you need to go slow and look ahead, which is partly right, but many of my fastest (13-14s) times are 4 or 5 move crosses where the first 3 moves are an easy finger trick.

-Doug

Richard

I'm in the same boat as PJK. My cross phase is by far my slowest step in solving the cube. Scott, or someone, could you please go into a little more depth about solving the cross. I can "intuitively" solve part of the cross, but i can't quite seem to get the correct edge pieces with the correct center pieces. I then have to spend another couple of seconds in placing the edges in their correct places. I know this is hard to explain going back and forth like this and would be much easier to show in RL, but please do your best. Thanks

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
Hey Patrick,

I think I solve the cross in less than three seconds, usually. It's really all about experience and practice.

One of the important things is to solve the cube slowly, without timing, and actively think about every move that you make. You will have to find your own ways to keep the number of moves as low as possible. You will find some nice tricks.

About not paying attention to the centers: If you mean you use the concept of 'relative position' as described on Dan Harris' page, that's only a good thing. (Solving the cross without paying attention to the centres, then lign up the cross with the centers with one move of the D layer.)

Good luck!

Jo?l.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Haha, when I say that I solve the cross without the centers, I do, but then I use that R D R' D' R to switch the center/edges, and that is quite a few additional moves. I think I just need to practice more. Thanks for the help.

Richard

thanks for that page dougreed, i understand the cross a little better now, and i just need more practice, what really helps on that page is it gives you a scramble, then you can try to figure out the shortest, then when you're ready it provides the shortest set of moves, it's really helpful...

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What tips do you guys have for locating pieces? Is it true that you have the entire cross memorized before you start to move? I was told to close my eyes and solve the cross for practice, is that reasonable? Thanks

dougreed

Originally posted by PJK@Mar 20 2006, 06:06 PM
What tips do you guys have for locating pieces? Is it true that you have the entire cross memorized before you start to move?
I'll answer your second question first.

It is true that you should plan out the entire cross during preinspection. Solving the cross blind is a good way to practice this. Most crosses (I think all but <1%) can be solved in 7 moves or less, and if you memorize it visually it shouldn't be hard at all with some practice.

With that in mind, to locate cross pieces all you have to do is look around the cube for edges that have the same color as the D center :)

HTH,
Doug

dougreed

Oh, I've also been working on becoming less color-dependant. You might want to think about trying it. Next time you have a very tough cross for your natural color, take a look at doing the cross on the opposite face. Sometimes it can make your life much easier.

HTH,
Doug

AbelBrata

WCA
2009BRAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think knowing your cube's color scheme is helping a lot...
You should know what color is on opposite face, and what color on the side face... from every directions. It will help you to decide the best move sequence...
I usually solve the cross on D and sometines on F or L.

Status
Not open for further replies.