• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fridrich

Scott

Ok, my name is Scott Bedard, and ever since WC 2005, I have gotten really into speedcubing. My current best time is 19.57.

Ok, heres the thing. I've learned the fridrich method. But my times still average in the range of 20 - 30 seconds. How can I get my times closer to sub-20?

dougreed

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 17 2006, 09:08 PM
I've learned the fridrich method. But my times still average in the range of 20 - 30 seconds. How can I get my times closer to sub-20?
Well, that depends. By the "fridrich method" do you mean just the Fridrich F2L + some 3 or 4-look LL, or do you do a completely 2-look LL, also?

If you already know all of the OLL and PLL algorithms, you have a few options that will probably all help in shaving some time off of your average.

In no particular order, you can...
  • focus on not rotating the cube as much during the F2L
  • learn to do common PLL/OLL algs from different sides
  • look ahead during your F2L so you don't have any pauses
  • work on your cross
If you are doing a 4-look LL, you need to learn PLL. If you are doing a 3-look LL, you should consider learning OLL. If you have exhausted all of those options already and you are still above 20s, you should break down your solution step by step and time everything individually, plus count your moves for each step. Then report back and we can go from there :D

-Doug

dougreed

Scott,

Looking ahead on the F2L is probably the most important of all the bulletted text from my last post...

The only way you will be able to comfortably see ahead through an entire F2L is to be completely comfortable with all of your F2L algs. What I normally tell new cubers (although you are by no means a newbie if you are already <30s) is to practice solving the F2L like this:
  • solve the cross
  • see first F2L pair
  • close eyes & solve F2L pair
  • repeat above 2 steps, 3 more times
Once you can do that, you should be able to see an F2L pair and know immediately how to solve it. With that in mind, it makes no sense for you to watch the F2L pair you're working on. That time is better spent looking for your next F2L pair.

HTH
-Doug

Scott

once i see the pair i can instinctivly solve it. There is no pause for me to remember the algorithm, it's just finding the pair sometimes takes me a little it.

MasterofRubix

im not sure about try not to rotate the cube because someimes my fingers just cant perform a specific algorithm so i have to turn. i suggest trying to solve the F2L using good old intuition, that way you learn the "algorithm" that suits your cubing style best.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Well now I'm where you're at, my best is 19.19 while I average 20-30 seconds. The thing that made my time improve so much was looking ahead on the F2L. I'm still not too good at it, but much better. I took my average F2L from 25-30 down to 15-20. I need to work on executing other angel-algs quicker, and I should be down to a 10 second F2L. Also, working on a cross to second layer transition helped a lot.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
Originally posted by Scott@Mar 19 2006, 10:47 PM
once i see the pair i can instinctivly solve it. There is no pause for me to remember the algorithm, it's just finding the pair sometimes takes me a little it.
Learn algorithims. Algorithims are all muscle memory. If you think about how to put in the pair, you are wasting concetration space you could be using for looking for the next pair. If you can put in a pair without thinking about it, it'll be that much easier to look for the next pair.