• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

GhettiBoy

Hello fellow cubers! This is a thread for people who would like to discuss and help those who are in need of it, which explains the name of the thread.

To start of this thread, I would like to ask the first question. I've just started learning CLL, and I have already memorized the Sune set. My question is, how long does it usually take for you to recognize a certain case?

Marco Cuber

It depends because the more that you use the EG method you will become better and better at recognizing cases because when you're starting out it takes quite long to recognize it and you just get better and better with practice. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) around 1/4 of a second or a little less than that for sub-3 solvers to recognize an EG case.

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello fellow cubers! This is a thread for people who would like to discuss and help those who are in need of it, which explains the name of the thread.

To start of this thread, I would like to ask the first question. I've just started learning CLL, and I have already memorized the Sune set. My question is, how long does it usually take for you to recognize a certain case?

It depends on the case. I just did a 2-look avg12 and got 2.24. I can't give exact reaction times though, obviously.

My faster solves were with CLL and my slowest were with EG2, which makes sense because I've been using CLL for years but have only recently finished EG2.

Essentially it comes down to practice and turnspeed. The more you practice a certain subset, the faster you will be at recognition.

SweetSolver

WCA
2014SWEE01
How can I get faster at 2x2? I average 7 seconds with LBL.

I highly recommend learning Ortega. At first I couldn't be bothered learning it and I averaged about 7 or 8 seconds with LBL as well, but I've found that it has been a whole lot easier to progress with Ortega.

It didn't take long for me to get down to 5 or 6 seconds, then sub-5. I'm pretty sure many other people have recorded sub-4 and even sub-3 averages with Ortega (although I think it would be easier to learn CLL once you get down to those speeds :p)

Once you learn how to make more efficient faces you will find your times will drop quite a lot too.

Last edited:

Future Cuber

I highly recommend learning Ortega. At first I couldn't be bothered learning it and I averaged about 7 or 8 seconds with LBL as well, but I've found that it has been a whole lot easier to progress with Ortega.

It didn't take long for me to get down to 5 or 6 seconds, then sub-5. I'm pretty sure many other people have recorded sub-4 and even sub-3 averages with Ortega (although I think it would be easier to learn CLL once you get down to those speeds :p)

Once you learn how to make more efficient faces you will find your times will drop quite a lot too.

Well..... Jacob Hutnyk has an official sub 2 single

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02

Sure, but in Ortega you make a face and in LBL a layer. As for advanced methods, I would probable switch to CLL. I might learn Full EG, but CLL is very fast too. I am afraid that learning and practicing Ortega for a while will make my layer making abilities worse. I fear this will cause problems when I try to switch to CLL. Is my opinion correct or not?That is why I am currently trying to make my layers more effecient and when I average sub 6 with LBL, I'll switch to CLL. Is this approach correct?

TinaIsAwesome

WCA
2012BLAC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sure, but in Ortega you make a face and in LBL a layer. As for advanced methods, I would probable switch to CLL. I might learn Full EG, but CLL is very fast too. I am afraid that learning and practicing Ortega for a while will make my layer making abilities worse. I fear this will cause problems when I try to switch to CLL. Is my opinion correct or not?That is why I am currently trying to make my layers more effecient and when I average sub 6 with LBL, I'll switch to CLL. Is this approach correct?

A majority of cubers I know use Ortega or least they did use it at one point. It doesn't really affect you that much when or if you decide to switch to CLL or EG. It just takes a little bit more planning to get your first layer at first but it's definitely not difficult. And it would be somewhat challenging I think to go from LBL straight into CLL but it's your choice. Ortega can be a somewhat fast method if you work hard enough with it. It's quite difficult to average sub-2 with it but it's possible to average around 3 sec with it and it's very easy to learn.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
A majority of cubers I know use Ortega or least they did use it at one point. It doesn't really affect you that much when or if you decide to switch to CLL or EG. It just takes a little bit more planning to get your first layer at first but it's definitely not difficult. And it would be somewhat challenging I think to go from LBL straight into CLL but it's your choice. Ortega can be a somewhat fast method if you work hard enough with it. It's quite difficult to average sub-2 with it but it's possible to average around 3 sec with it and it's very easy to learn.

I will then just use Ortega, but once I get sub 5 then.... CLL