• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Jhong253

WCA
2008HONG01
Hi everybody,

I've been trying to learn Blindfold solving, and I did read couple online tutorials (One from cubefreak.net for example). The problem is, I have no idea what the tutorials are talking about and I haven't been able to learn anything so far.

How should I start off?

WCA
2008SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started off with just learning one step, edge orientation, and just do it with my eyes open and get a feeling for the setup moves. Then do the same step with your eyes closed and open them only if completely necessary. Next try the step blindfolded.

Do the same for all steps, then try doing it completely blindfolded, or do orientation blindfolded, then memorize permutation and do that blindfolded. I had my first successful BLD solve in 3 days that way.

Good Luck!

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am a beginner with BLD too, but I did not have much trouble starting. I began with Macky's 3 cycle method. The stages to solving can be practiced entirely separate, until you feel comfortable with each. Just practice with your eyes closed, or maybe with your hands under a table.

I started with edge flipping, memorizing the basic 2 flip and 4 flip. I gave myself some easy cases for practice, then moved up until I could locate and memorize all edges which needed flipping, and flip them all blindfolded.

Next I practiced edge 3 cycling. (I switched my "U" perm from the way that uses M slice to the way that uses only R and U turns. I am less likely to get confused with cube orientation, I believe.) Eventually, I got to where I could cycle (1, 2,3, 4,5, 6,7, 8,9, 10,11) blindfolded, then undo it (1, 11,10, 9,8, 7,6, 5,4, 3,2) blindfolded. I also practiced swapping 2 random pairs of edges.

Next, I practiced corner orienting. After that corner cycling. (Remember to avoid quarter turns on F,B,L,R faces during setup moves.) Lastly, I practiced parity problems blindfolded, like J or T or F or R, to swap 2 edges and 2 corners.

I will soon be ready to memorize the entire cube, then solve it. I just need the time and courage.

UPDATE: I have done at least 9 successful blindfold solves as of now, Oct 7, 08.

Last edited:

Rubixcubematt

YouTube
Visit Channel
i learnt bld by starting with a 2x2 blindfolded. these two videos by lance are really good and help explain what to do and how to do it, then i just learnt how to do edges, which is easy to understand once u learn corners.

[youtube]iCo-htZ_c0M&feature=related[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

soup of kings

Help me to learn blind cubing for the first time, please!

So I can solve a cube regularly in about a minute, and I want to try blindfold solving, but I have a problem. I've been looking for tips on the internet, but my main problem is memorization; I've been using a number system to remember the edge orientation but I can't get any farther because my short-term memory seems to be crap. Obviously I need a better system, but everything I've seen online either glosses over memorization or goes in-depth, but is too complicated for me. So I figure I need to actually be able to communicate with one or more people who could help me past this particular sticking point, i.e. let them know when I don't understand something, when I need specific help, etc. Would anyone be willing to put up with that...?

soup of kings

Which, like I said, I read and didn't understand. I guess I'm just some sort of idiot, then.

[EDIT] Although, if that's as simple as it gets, let me know so I can just give up now, because I can barely understand any of it, much less relate it to solving a Rubik's Cube.

Last edited:

soup of kings

ANYONE can solve a cube blindfolded, you just have to TRY, not just read a little and then ask us for the easy way out. theres TONS of method in there, read around
I've been trying for some time now (I already told you I can orient the edges, but I'm stuck there), I'm not trying to beg for an easy way out, and I don't understand the methods you're talking about. This is why I asked if anyone could help me more, because I don't personally know anyone better than myself at this sort of thing. Now I just feel like an idiot because I still can't figure it out when it's supposed to be so easy.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
It's not easy. You have to work at it and that's not something someone can hold your hand through.

If you have specific questions we'll be happy to help you. But sitting down and really working through things is something you'll have to do on your own.

soup of kings

Try find some videos. You might be more of a visual learner :)

That's actually kinda helpful. I finally found one that might help me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT2UBYhX5uM&feature=user) and I scanned the bit on memorization, and it helped a lot more than the stuff I've been reading. I'm going to watch that whole tutorial tomorrow and see if I can't just make something up that helps somehow...I dunno. I'll report back.

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Soup! I am 53 years old and started BLD just a month or so ago. You can do it. What I did was read the "3OP" method at cubefreak.net. The Classic Pochmann or M2 Pochmann might be better, but I personally thought the 3OP was easiest for me to learn. What I do is train for each stage. Scramble a cube and try to remember how edges need to be flipped. (I use hexadecimal to memo). Solve, then memo the corner orientations. I use A for anticlockwise, B for normal, C for clockwise, and touch the white/yellow stickers to help me remember. Solve, then look at corner cycles and solve. Then look at edge cycles and solve. After you can do one stage, try to do 2 stages, like both edge and corner orientations. Or corner orientations and corner cycling. I find my best memo happens in the morning after sleeping. Eventually you will be able to memo all the orientations and cycles, even if it takes you 30 minutes to memorize.

N

nitrocan

Memorise the orientations visually (maybe some A and C at the corners), then numbers at corners and letters at edges. Then after some time, it is so easy.
I started blind cubing about 2 months ago, now I can memorise the whole thing in about 1:00 - 1:30. (Thats probably because I switched to M2).
Rafal Guzewicz on the other hand, can memorise ridiculously fast :D (15 sec memo on his WR solve)

soup of kings

Ugh. BadMephisto's tutorial is helping a bit, but I keep forgetting my setup moves in the middle of an algorithm. Bummer. :(

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi soup of kings. Today I decided to try and learn BLD solving and I'm finding it really interesting. I didn't want to make another thread so I'm using yours, as it is related.

I'm learning the Pochmann method using badmephisto's tutorial video.

So far, I've learned to solve the whole cube (looking) using the method.

Then I wrote down the order of the edges that need to be moved and attempted to solve the edges of the cube underneath a blanket but reading the notes. First attempt was a success, a cross on every side.

Then I have made a list of two letter words so I can memorize the stickers. I've learnt two for each edge, eg. BR = Brick and RB = Robot, obviously there are many different methods, but I think this will work best for me. I don't plan to do big cubes either.

Then I scrambled the cube and actually managed to solve all the edges completely blind. This is on my first day of trying. I can't wait to do my first successful solve, I've just gotta work out the corners now. Loving BLD.

actually I have a question. It says that #items = (#wrong cubies) + (#cycles) - 2. The last attempt at edges there were all 12 wrong cubies, the buffer piece came right at the end, so I didn't have to break into a new cycle but I only had 11 items to remember so the formula didn't work, however all the pieces ended up right. How is this? Does it mean that right at the end I break into a new cycle, so there are technically 2 cycles?

Last edited: