• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blonk numbers and Center of the Cubieverse

Tim Reynolds

Premium Member
WCA
2005REYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why?

Stefan has not refreshed the database, my WCA ID (As of Belgian open) is still not recognized...

because Blonk competed again :p I am guessing Tim was trying to ask Stefan to update it (all subtle like).

I was just pointing out the fact that Blonk competed. Anyway, he couldn't have updated it at the time because I was too lazy to export the database, so Stefan couldn't have imported the database yet. I'll do that now.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Not to take anything away from mr. Blonk but shouldn't we take "this guy" as the center of the cubieverse?

He's fixing the missing link so I think he deserves it.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not to take anything away from mr. Blonk but shouldn't we take "this guy" as the center of the cubieverse?

I disagree. This guy is a random unknown; the only reason the Dubai competition is unconnected is because cubing is obviously in its very earliest stages in that area of the world, and I think we can expect them to be much more well-connected in a few years, so he won't be important later. But Mr. (van der) Blonk gives us a nice set of coincedences: his name contains all the letters of "Kevin Bacon", and he has been the only one in the database to satisfy this criterion for at least some 7 years; but in addition the last part of his name is similar to that of Mr. Bacon in that it has the same number of letters and starts with the same letter. So I find it much more aesthetically pleasing to talk about Blonk numbers than to talk about Forootani numbers.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, "this guy" is guilty of *causing* the problem, so must be punished :D

Oh well, the page is made so that Michiel is only the default center, you can still choose "this guy" or anyone else as the center instead if you want to.

It's a bit of a hack and isn't fully automated yet, I need to find out again how to update it. Have to prepare for my trip to US Nationals now, will update this when I'm back. Indeed the reappearance of Michiel strongly demands an update (although my own Blonk number won't improve, dammit).

Olivér Perge

WCA
2007PERG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm happy to announce that we have the missing link in the cubeiverze!

Mohammad Forootani from Iran was competing at Austrian Open 2010 and he also took part at Dubai Open 2009. Thank you and congratulations, Mohammad! :)

Last edited:

TeddyKGB

WCA
2012DELI01

I disagree. This guy is a random unknown; the only reason the Dubai competition is unconnected is because cubing is obviously in its very earliest stages in that area of the world, and I think we can expect them to be much more well-connected in a few years, so he won't be important later. But Mr. (van der) Blonk gives us a nice set of coincedences: his name contains all the letters of "Kevin Bacon", and he has been the only one in the database to satisfy this criterion for at least some 7 years; but in addition the last part of his name is similar to that of Mr. Bacon in that it has the same number of letters and starts with the same letter. So I find it much more aesthetically pleasing to talk about Blonk numbers than to talk about Forootani numbers.

If you want a "kevin bacon" as the center of the cubieverse you should consider This guy :D

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If you want a "kevin bacon" as the center of the cubieverse you should consider This guy :D

Haha, nice find. Too bad he's only been to one competition (and it was a local one).

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
*bump*

I wrote a paper last year with someone who has an Erdős number of 4. We sent it off to a journal a while ago, but we haven't heard anything back since...I should go bug them.

This thing finally got published. I worked on the group-theoretic parts, through Theorem 4.2, one of our main results. It's not deep, but I think the paper motivates it well, and I was pretty proud of the proof. (The result reduces to the infinitude of a certain group, which is proved by constructing a surjection from the proper subgroup onto the whole group. This idea is from the standard proof of the infinitude of the Grigorchuk group, but the construction in our case took a lot more set-up.) Being from two years ago, though, the paper's not representative of my current interests.

So I have Blonk + Erdős = 1 + 5 = 6.

Oh, it looks like it'll take another half a year or so for the paper to get indexed on MathSciNet.

[edit March 17, 2012]
it took only five months!

Last edited:

Henrik

WCA
2006BUUS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is great Macky!

I would like to know if this would be updated, it would be interesting to see how it all looks now, if we have all gotten closer in the cubieverse, or if there are larger distances now than before.

Last edited:

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
That is great Macky!

I would like to know if this would be updated, it would be interesting to see how it all looks now, if we have all gotten closer in the cubieverse, or if there are larger distances now than before.

Unfortunately not; My 2010 WCA ID is still not recognised by the cubieverse