• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Curvy Copter Discussion

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's roughly the same as the standard Helicopter Cube, except that each turnable side has an axis piece which has to be oriented properly.

My general Helicopter Cube method: "solve first center (always black on this one since I can't tell black and blue apart), finish first layer, LL corners, LL edges". Everything until the last layer can be done intuitively with blockbuilding techniques, although with the Curvy Copter you'll want to be extra careful with those axis pieces. For the last layer corners, permute and then flip the front two with UL UR UB UL UR UF. For the last layer edges, the two main algs are (UF UR)3 and (UF FR UR FR)2. When I write something like UF I mean to turn the UF edge, not to turn the U and F faces.

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So now I got up to like the last layer on it but since I jumbled it, a couple of the clove things are in the wrong spot. Like its impossible unless I re-jumble it which then I don't know what I'm doing.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll have to introduce a bit of new notation - FR+ means "turn the FR edge clockwise to the smallest angle where some adjacent sides can turn", so it's like a 72 or whatever degree turn instead of 180.

So, the alg is: UL- FR- UF UL+ FR+

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
speaking of curvy copters and jumbling, would it be possible to have a jumbling helicopter cube scrambler on qqtimer?
No, for two reasons:
- jumbling isn't really understood very well so I have no idea how to provide a "random" jumbled position, and
- an algorithm like in post 8 can only move 2 centers out of their orbits (there are 4 orbits of 6 pieces each), so you would need a huge number of moves like this to get a good mix of centers

Deweyspunkis

WCA
2011GUEL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im stuck on the last layer grr I used the alg for the first face because it was impossible to do. You kinda put the two pieces you wanna switch on the L and R face. Now Im confused again with the last layer. Lol, sorry for being such a noob

mrCage

Curvy copter diassembly.

Hi!

Does anyone here know how to disassemble a curvy copter? Somehow a jumbling sequence went wrong and now the puzzlw is locked :fp

Per

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this will work:
Turn any edge so that you can see the seam in a centre piece and lever the cap off with a screwdriver, then unscrew the screw underneath and take the rest of the puzzle apart.
I'm not sure this will work, so dont be hating if it doesnt :/

mrCage

I'm down to inserting 2 final corners. Somehow i cannot get them in ... hmmm ... i will retry later. Screwing seems like overkill :)

Per

mrCage

Fixed!! Tip: When disassembling do face center trinagles first, then corners. For assembly do it in reverse order. This is where i failed initially (corner feet are rather big!!)

Per

slateman

Curvy Copter Triangle Flip

I couldn't figure this out via RedKB's YouTube tutorials and haven't seen anything that answers this directly anywhere.

2012-11-10_13-03-57_383.jpg

Can someone help? Is this a normal position? I can't figure out how to swap those and the rest of the cube is in a solved state. I can handle most jumbling, but as a teacher, my students have tinkered w/ the cube. I don't know if they've messed something up or if I'm just not smart enough to figure it out!!! Can you help?

Thanks so much!!!

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That is a position that can only be solved by "jumbling". Here is one possible solution:
- turn the up-left edge by 180 degrees
- turn the up-right edge by 180 degrees
- tricky part: turn both the up-right edge and left-back edge counterclockwise by about 60 degrees (ish) so that the up-back edge can be turned. then turn the up-back edge by 180 degrees and fix the up-right and left-back edges. finally turn the up-back edge by 180 degrees again.
- turn the up-right edge by 180 degrees.
- turn the up-left edge by 180 degrees.
It should now be in a position you can solve with normal moves.