• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

da25centz

WCA
2010MEYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
so i know cross on the bottom, intuitive F2l, 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL. My F2L times are around 30-40 sec, and my avg is around 1 min.
Do you guys have any suggestions on which F2L cases are worth learning algorithms for? And also, i need help learning fingertricks. I know how to turn the layers with just one finger, but i cant seem to get the hang of doing several turns in a row with the same hand without resetting it. Thanks!

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice, practice, practice. Learn sets of triggers like RUR'U' or R'FRF'. These two, for instance, are commonly used in algorithms and move-sets.

LockOMan

I decided to learn f2l before 2-look oll pll. My beginner method average was about 48 seconds. After practicing Fridrich f2l a bit I am about there now (around 50 seconds)

Great guide! Really clear!

Jorghi

Plateau! I can't break my plateau.

I'm still at the 1:00-1:20 range with an average at 1:15. I broke a minute only like once or twice because I did my cross really fast. But I found out that I waste 15 seconds because I do don't know the inverse algorithms from beginners method lol.. So I do the same algorithm twice until I get the right position.

I use F2L, then beginners method for the last layer. I'm learning 2 Look OLL, and 2 Look PLL.

I need to get Sub 20 by September so that way I beat some of the cocky cubers.

4EverCuber

WCA
2012WATA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Plateau! I can't break my plateau.

I'm still at the 1:00-1:20 range with an average at 1:15. I broke a minute only like once or twice because I did my cross really fast. But I found out that I waste 15 seconds because I do don't know the inverse algorithms from beginners method lol.. So I do the same algorithm twice until I get the right position.

I use F2L, then beginners method for the last layer. I'm learning 2 Look OLL, and 2 Look PLL.

I need to get Sub 20 by September so that way I beat some of the cocky cubers.

It's been about a year and a half now since I took up cubing after not having even touched a cube in more than ten years. In the past seven months I think I might have shaved ten seconds off of my time. Now I'm really working on my cross and transitioning into f2l, as well as being able to perform f2l fluidly.

I know all the standard plls along with around 33 or so olls and my times are still hovering around 26-30 secs. I fear that my goal of sub 20 on a consistent basis might be attainable in about a year at my learning rate.

I guess that's the point I'm trying to get to. Everyone has different learning curves and you can't/shouldn't compare yourself to others. Just keep practicing hard and eventually you will attain your goals. The more you stress about timeliness, the more you will push that timeline further away in my opinion. It's kind of like how I learned how to type. Start slow, learn the basics, good execution (I think this part is my problem with cubing), and the speed will ensue.

Just my two cents.

Jorghi

Dang I get sub 30 when I get solves with PLLs I know.. but I get sub 40 using 2 look.

Does anyone have F2L algorithms that only use R, U, L, D type moves??

Last edited:

speedpicker

A suggestion

I really enjoyed the how to get faster guide, as someone averaging around 35 with 4 LLL, your guide confirmed that now is the time to learnfull pll. What would be great though would be if your "goal times" could be broken down into Cross, F2L, OLL, PLL.

My typical split for example is usually 6 sec cross, 18 sec f2l, 4 sec OLL, 7 sec PLL = 35 secs. If you set goal time breakdowns each phase, it would then let me know whether to work specifically on cross, f2l, or whatever.

e.g. ( and Im just making these up):
Goal time 30 secs: 5 sec cross, 15 sec f2l, 5 sec OLL, 5 sec PLL

From this I could see I need to focus mainly on my f2l and pll phases to progress to the next level, and that my OLL is OK for my level.

I understand that everyone solves and develops differently, but by having specifc goalposts to shoot for helps with allocating practice time.

Thanks for the guide as it stands, its really helpful.

Speedpicker

JakeL

How can I get faster?

I know threads similar to this have been posted many times and I have read a lot, but it still doesn't seem to help. I just learned F2L, 2-look OLL, and 2-look PLL and I have probably practiced for hours in the last few days to try and get it engraved in my mind. I did an average of 12 solves and it came out to 61.65. Compared to some things I've read it doesn't seem like that is very good. I'm at least trying to get a sub-40 average and I'm not sure what to do now. It seems like my main trouble is in F2L, but I don't I'm doing the last layer as fast as I could. Any tips? P.S. I have a Dayan Guhong cube and it turns really well, so I don't think that is much of an issue.

SpacePanda15

Just practice, and eventually you'll see immense improvements. You just have to get used to the new method. When I first started a couple months ago, I was faster with my beginner's method for a long time. Then eventually I just got a lot better.

Jorghi, I switched to color neutral because I was absolutely failing at look ahead. Will it be hard to go back?

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Whats does color neutral mean?

As far as the method you're using, being color neutral basically means being able to start the solve with a cross on any color, whichever side is easiest to build a cross on. For cubers that have practiced non-color-neutral solving (e.g. starting the solve with a white cross every time) for a long time, it can be quite difficult to lookahead and recognize F2L cases when solving on a different color cross.