• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RiDo's Hunting Story for F2L. No intuition or alg memorization required. (Videos)

steph1389

For someone starting to learn f2l, this video takes the daunting view of having to intuitively learn something, and gives you an idea to push you onto an intuitive way of solving.

This helped a bunch with cases that i look at and think.......****........

Thanks again! Recommend this video!

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys. thanks for ur responses. im encouraged. :)
Do you consider this method "open source", that is to say, will you allow people to work with it and improve it? (Giving due credit to you of course.)
It is Open source within ethical limits. The intent is to give the world the most easiest ways of doing things. But non-commercially. If ur gonna post it, please show me the modifications before posting. and credit to the author wud be appreciated.

No explanation of notation needed at all
Very well spotted there! i was gonna mention this as a part of the original script. i missed it somehow. thanks for pointing it out. il annotate it. & appreciate ur entire comment.

………..and you cover all cases in an entertaining way that sticks and allows the solver to always "get it right." Your imagery of how each animal hunts sticks in my mind, and I can picture the same action when solving the pieces as you do.
…………. One of the best tutorial videos I have seen in a very long time!
Chris
Thanks buddy. appreciate ur entire comment.

Where are you from man?
Within ur neighborhood. btw u conducting workshops? pls dont charge money for showing my video. other parts i leave it to u. My intent is free, non commercial usage & sharing.

thumbs down for the unwarranted hype.
thanks for the thumbs up. & as for the thumbs down.. yea i do agree that ive hyped a little. was carried away a bit in excitement :p if i say "Cool tips and tricks" who wud watch?? Not that im tryin to make u watch some crap like fake movie promos :p Im glad you already knew the car parking and the angular distance ways to teach the newbies.

everybody! thanks once again. ive read each comment, more than once :)

Joël

WCA
2004NOOR01
What's up with 'removing the intuition from intuitive F2L'?! Huh?

How do you define intuitive anyway? What's intuitive for a cuber, is abracadabra for a n00b. The whole point is to develop some intuitive understanding of the F2L system.

The videos look neat and creative, so thumbs up for that. For beginners, this could be a way to think about it... I am fearful however that people who use this kind of thinking for too long could get stuck in mentally breaking up the solving of 1 CE pair into multiple smaller sub-steps.

Edit: Maybe this post sounds a bit negative; I do like the way you try to find analogies with real world examples, like comparing flipping an edge with turning a car, in the bonus video!

Last edited:

Innocence

How do you define intuitive anyway? What's intuitive for a cuber, is abracadabra for a n00b. The whole point is to develop some intuitive understanding of the F2L system.

The videos look neat and creative, so thumbs up for that. For beginners, this could be a way to think about it... I am fearful however that people who use this kind of thinking for too long could get stuck in mentally breaking up the solving of 1 CE pair into multiple smaller sub-steps.

Edit: Maybe this post sounds a bit negative; I do like the way you try to find analogies with real world examples, like comparing flipping an edge with turning a car, in the bonus video!

This is one of the things I think could be improved. I think the common understanding of the word "intuition" is that it is a bad thing, as intuition involves thinking, and thinking is "hard". That is not the sense of the word at all, for something to be intuitive would actually make it easier. This method would actually make it MORE intuitive.

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
& also Innocence.

The definition of intuition: A sense of something not evident or deducible. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/intuition)
In my method things are pretty evident for each and every possible case. Instead of saying algs like A B C' D' .. i have 'algs' that go.. 'do this, do that, then do this'.
so.... well.. anyway....
i strongly believe that what i have written is correct. (And not 'more intuitive' - innocene)
Also,
I am fearful however that people who use this kind of thinking for too long could get stuck in mentally breaking up the solving of 1 CE pair into multiple smaller sub-steps.
Not at all! I no longer think animals while i solve it now (i never did actually. learnt f2l n then weaved it in this story). It is only to get the hang of things in the beginning. once u recognize patterns u execute it without thinking. The same way you do your OLL or PLL algs now. U dont think F U R' .... anymore.. ur hands just take over.

and thanks for edit :)

Also, the blog & post text is written impromptu just to release the video to the world. Kindly pardon if its not really 'in line' :)
EDIT: Ok i might have mis-read the meaning of 'intuitive' :p :p sry guys

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im glad you already knew the car parking and the angular distance ways to teach the newbies.

I didn't. Like I said, I didn't really learn anything new "besides the visualizations/analogies which I don't need". I don't need it for my own solving and I'm not teaching newbies. If I did, I might use the parking visualization as that's really neat (although I'd hope it's not necessary, I really don't want to carry around cars and paper streets with me). The angular distance thing was actually the only part of all videos that I disliked, btw. You didn't properly define the distance and you're using it inconsistently. I find that part more confusing than useful.

Last edited:

EVH

I learned intuitive F2L, but I never though of doing the eagle case the way you did it. I am definitely going to try that if the case arises. Usually I just rotated the corner.

OT: Very interesting way to explain it, but definitely overhyped. All things require algorithms or intuition, in this case you are teaching an algorithm without notation. Great video I am going to recommend it to my two friends who are starting to learn Fridrich F2L.

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys. thanks for ur responses. im encouraged. :)
Within ur neighborhood. btw u conducting workshops? pls dont charge money for showing my video. other parts i leave it to u. My intent is free, non commercial usage & sharing.

I'm not really going to use the video explicitly. As I said before, I already use most of the concepts you've portrayed there, though in a slightly different way. If people do not understand F2L, however, I will refer them to your vid.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of saying algs like A B C' D' .. i have 'algs' that go.. 'do this, do that, then do this'.
Yeah, I got this feeling, that your method was more or less F2L algorithms without explicit notation, so people don't have the option of trying to memorize the moves (which is a bad thing to do).

I wonder, has anyone ever tried teaching F2L in terms of the team BLD concepts of "pull" and "push"? Once you learn the difference between those two concepts (and how to perform them, of course) they are pretty clear, and then you can start to learn what each one does. So instead of something like "R U' R' U R U R'" you can say "Do a push and watch what happens: now the two pieces are aligned in the 'opposite pair' setup. So turn the top layer and insert them with a pull." I don't watch a lot of F2L tutorial videos (of course) so I can't say if anyone has already taken this idea and run all the way with it.

chris410

I sent this to a friend of mine, as a basic approach I think you did a good job!

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Very interesting, simple, and entertaining way of teaching!
Thumbs up.
THanks! :)

Yeah, I got this feeling, that your method was more or less F2L algorithms without explicit notation, so people don't have the option of trying to memorize the moves (which is a bad thing to do).
Yup! and use any alg based on ur mood; from any position on the cube - like the intuitive way.. so u now have the good parts of both methods.

I sent this to a friend of mine, as a basic approach I think you did a good job!
Biker Chris! thanks.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.
Very interesting, simple, and entertaining way of teaching!

Thumbs up.
Woah Chuck. Jst saw ur 50bld vid. awesome stuff man!

Last edited by a moderator:

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just curious. What do you average?

An embarrassing 35-40 secs with 2 look OLL & 2 look PLL :D :D ... i know :) .. i know whr i stand. no where in the league of u guys. lol. but i postponed learning the 21plls to concentrate on this hunting video (which took me 2 months to make along with my routine work). now i'm learning the 21plls (damn these V,F & Gs) :p .. and as for my 2 cubes, they are cheap, unbranded and slow (as is quite evident from the videos) the white one is for less than $2 and the black ~ $5. I just received my new Dayan Guhong a week back. now i gotta find a good silicone lube, which is difficult to find in my country :( not very popular here. can't find it. :(
so .... that's my 'story' :)
didn't expect that did u? :)
cheers!

Do you have a plan of making any new video? I would like into those.
hey. ive uploaded that pll pattern sheet on my blog
also posted here
this may b helpful for pll learners. Pls share if u know any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JimCube General Speedcubing Discussion 1