• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

RiDo's Hunting Story for F2L. No intuition or alg memorization required. (Videos)

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
RidoHuntforum.png

Presenting… the simplest F2L tutorial in the world!
RiDo’s Hunting Story for F2L and RiDo’s Bonus Video

Intro: The Fridrich (or CFOP) method is one of the most popular and fastest ways to solve a Rubik’s cube. In under 1 min to around 15-20 sec. However in CFOP (Cross-F2L-OLL-PLL) the F2L (First two layers) is tricky, time consuming and crucial as there are 42 possible cases. 41 plus 1 solved case. You either solve them by intuition or memorize all 41 cases. Phew!!! Here’s where RiDo’s Hunting Story comes to the rescue and makes life easy! Very very easy! With this story you can solve the F2Ls rapidly without any intuition or algorithm memorization. And there’s more…

Concept: You have the bunny ears’ story for tying shoelaces. Similarly you now have ‘RiDo’s Hunting Story’ for building your F2Ls easily. Very easily. You will be amazed and baffled by this informative and entertaining video.

Let’s simplify the intuitive F2L!
RiDo's Hunting Story PART 1 of 2 (skip directly to 4:30 if you know what the f2l is)

RiDo's Hunting Story PART 2 of 2

So did you feel shifts in intuition levels? Cool! Now... let the hunting excitement settle down. Cos you're in for another thrilling ride.
Brace yourselves for ‘RiDo’s Bonus Video’. This video shows unusual tips, tricks and ideas, which you will enjoy watching as a beginner or even as an advanced cuber!
:tu Please visit my blog http://rishidoshi.blogspot.com to view the bonus video as I want to keep this post short and less spammy.
Screenshot of bonus video:

RiDo - Author

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very interesting way to think of it, this could be a very nice teaching method for beginners learning intuitive F2L. This is how I thought of F2L when I was just starting, but I didn't use any hunting analogies, which could make understanding much easier. Nice video also, you seem to have put a lot of time into it.

EDIT: Just watched your bonus video. I like your style of teaching with the car.

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
thanks. This is obviously intended for the new learners. Do watch the bonus video. it has a unique way of the Z perm.

Not going to comment on anything else, but this statement is wrong. Whilst a lot of people do Z-perms like M2 U M2 U M U2 M2 U2 M U2 a lot of people also do it as M'2 U' M'2 U' M'2 U'2 M'2 U'2 M' U'2, the way you showed.

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey ZB_FTW. u may be right. but i just thot of covering it cos i didnt see this alg on speedsolving.com/wiki section. Pardon me for repeating it if it's already known to all. :p

bicmedic

Fantastic idea, I dare say this is easier to follow than badmephistos tutorial. Well done.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This sounds interesting, but since I know F2L I would rather not sift through half an hour of video.

Could someone write down a succinct summary, or link to a concise point in one of the videos?

rishidoshi

WCA
2011DOSH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fantastic idea, I dare say this is easier to follow than badmephistos tutorial. Well done.

:) thanks.

This sounds interesting, but since I know F2L I would rather not sift through half an hour of video.

Could someone write down a succinct summary, or link to a concise point in one of the videos?

After 1st cross, Corner piece = hunter. Corresponding edge piece = Victim. Hunter hunts for the prey and kills it (perfect joint = kill) then moves into the right slot.
3 possibilities:
1. when top stickers are same -crocodile
2. When top stickers are opposite - Tiger
3. Corner piece white on top - eagle.
The way each animal hunts in real (hides, chases, flies in sky) similar strategy is applied on the cube. So it is very easy to remember.
other etc stuff also covered. like getting the pieces on the top layer and splitting them.
Ive tried to cover all the F2L articles in one video. even covering how not to mess up ur already solved slots. (very necessary for newbies as all wud agree :p )

EDIT: Just noticed: GARRON!! i have 'liked' u in my video and also have put a link to alg.garron.us in my blog. i use it very often! good work.

Very interesting way to think of it, this could be a very nice teaching method for beginners learning intuitive F2L. This is how I thought of F2L when I was just starting, but I didn't use any hunting analogies, which could make understanding much easier. Nice video also, you seem to have put a lot of time into it.

EDIT: Just watched your bonus video. I like your style of teaching with the car.
thanks. yeah the car part is my fav too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Innocence

I really like this method of teaching, but I can definitely see room for improvement. Do you consider this method "open source", that is to say, will you allow people to work with it and improve it? (Giving due credit to you of course.)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
incredible video. No explanation of notation needed at all, mirroring is just natural and all cases are covered with a story you will not easily forget. Although I didn't learn anything new in this video, I enjoyed it a lot and already forwarded it to several people

You are a great teacher. Patient, knowledgeable and experienced. I thoroughly enjoyed your analogies for hunting and carparking, but found the use of all papers (2 arrows, angle-determination) the best part of all

my hat is of for you sir!

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I completely agree with many of the posts already made here. This video is one of the best F2L videos I have ever seen! I am a HUGE fan of memory mnemonics and story analogies, and I think your hunting analogy is incredibly well thought out! You are an amazing teacher, and you cover all cases in an entertaining way that sticks and allows the solver to always "get it right." Your imagery of how each animal hunts sticks in my mind, and I can picture the same action when solving the pieces as you do.

I will certainly teach beginners wanting to transition to F2L via your method, with due credit to you. I will also refer anyone asking about F2L to this thread. I have not yet watched your bonus video, I was so excited at how well made your first two videos are that I had to comment!

I look forward to more videos from you, should you decide to undertake other projects! One of the best tutorial videos I have seen in a very long time!

Chris

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just saw the videos. I must say, this is a great way to teach kids. I use the exact same analogies (line of action, hiding, etc) when teaching people f2l, but I usually portray the cube as a coordinate system. People my age get it, but the younger ones don't. I guess I'll use this kind of stuff to teach the baccha party! Anyway, this was a good explanation and a very well planned and built video.

Where are you from man?

Feryll

I just saw the videos. I must say, this is a great way to teach kids. I use the exact same analogies (line of action, hiding, etc) when teaching people f2l, but I usually portray the cube as a coordinate system. People my age get it, but the younger ones don't. I guess I'll use this kind of stuff to teach the baccha party! Anyway, this was a good explanation and a very well planned and built video.

Where are you from man?
Probably Australia ;)

Kidding, his youtube page says Iceland.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very nice videos and visualizations/analogies, though I didn't really learn anything new (besides the visualizations/analogies which I don't need). Certainly doesn't "unearth mind blowing tips, tricks and ideas" and "explore ascpects of cubing that even the most advanced people never imagined of". Thumbs high up for the actual videos, thumbs down for the unwarranted hype.

Last edited:

BigSams

SHHHHH! Kirjava might get mad that you're not doing your own research :rolleyes:

On topic: I have watched the first 10 minutes of part 1, and am already wishing these vids had been available when I first started slot-F2L. This is good stuff for the people in my cube club who have just finished LBL. I'll definately link them.

A touch over-dramatic in the description though ;)
EDIT: wow fail wink emoticon... who made it?

Whyusosrs?

SHHHHH! Kirjava might get mad that you're not doing your own research :rolleyes:
... You clearly don't understand the difference between taking 2 seconds to google and watching 30 minutes of video.

anyway, I thought this was a VERY good video. I especially liked in the bonus video with the angles on f2l. I had never thought of it like that before.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JimCube General Speedcubing Discussion 1