• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Prisma Puzzle Timer

Walter Souza

WCA
2010SOUZ01
Mhmm, maybe some sort of double-tap could work, two taps in the left pad within x amount of time.

This wouldn't work. I can't quite remember, but I think the timer status are updated only 3 or 4 times per sec. A double tap can't be detected.

choza244

WCA
2011FLAR01
Oh, really nice but still find something odd jeje (sorry).

The way i do it is that i modify the time i just did so that i can input the time i get in the program but keeping the scramble the program gave me, so i just press the spacebar 2 times and register a random time (0.06 for example) and then i modify it with the right time but keeping the scramble, and then it show me the new scramble, etc...

But in your timer i have to input the scramble and the time, is there a possibility that you can just modify the time you just got??

and i just want to clarify that i just don't use it to input manually the times, if that were the case i would use excel to calculate the average LOL, sometimes i do the times in the program and sometimes in the (phisic) timer)

falcon71

Wow, this is really an awesome timer!

I only have problems with the Stackmat timer. The Stackmat works fine in CCT, but I can't get it to work with the Puzzle Timer.

I enabled the Stackmat as the timer trigger and I choose the same input device as in CCT. But when the Stackmat is running, nothing happens in the Puzzle Timer. I also tried all other input devices and they don't work either.

Is there something I'm missing?

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
What version of java does this require? I have Java 6 and can run CCT fine, but this just shows up as a blank gray window.

Edit: Running from command line doesn't give me any helpful error messages, either.

Last edited:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since I'll probably be switching to this over CCT for my offline timer, I'll try to be as supportive as possible with bug reports/feature requests.

For now:
  • Easy manual time input (e.g. have "Manual Entry" as a timer trigger and turn the display time into a big input field)
  • Full-screen timing view
  • For partial scrambles, provide a way to see what the last turn is (CCT highlight the turn).
  • Provide a way to copy the scramble (current and past) so that people can share interesting scrambles. Even better, I would love to be able to get to http://alg.garron.us/?alg=&ini=R_U_R-&name=Rubik-s_Cube_Solve_by_Lucas_Garron_on_Nov_27,_2010:_7.52#AlgTyper easily, in order to reconstruct a fast solve I just did - but that's just me.
  • Your Fridrich scrambles are upside-down from how most people use them.
  • 3OP Permutation-only Scramble / Orientation-only scramble
  • Add to tips: M2R2 solver (and maybe BH solver). Possibly expand into other methods/steps, but that's a different issue.
  • Eventually: Configuration. CCT has it for a lot of things, like language, GUI (layout, fonts, background), and statistics. I would say language is the only one that really matters, since internationalization would help it catch on word-wide.
  • Read times/inspection like CCT. A lot of existing voices are here and with CCT 0.9.6, but you'd have a chance to redesign how time reading works.
  • More intuitive management for times, puzzles, histories, sessions. I like CCT's session management, but it's notoriously unreliable.
  • Would be really cool: Doing solves on the 3D displays like the Heise sim. (Ask around if you need to find out the conventional keybindings.)

That's all for now. I'm surprised by how many of the important features from CCT have been implemented here succinctly.

I might like to try to implement some of these myself. What's your build method? It seems there's a .project file for Eclipse.

EDIT: Shelley's post reminds me that I almost forgot: Flight Simulator, please.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any particular reason?
It's nothing against your timer, just that I made qqtimer to be the kind of timer I wanted to have (in terms of style, simplicity, statistics, etc). I don't want you to compromise your style to make something I'd want to use - it's important for the community to have very different timers to choose from.

You mean in the main window, right? Well, it can be done. The stats code needs work anyway. I'll try to add "interquartile mean", "skewness" and "kurtosis" in the next release.
I don't think skewness and kurtosis would be all that useful for cubing, and most people would have no clue what they are anyway. They might not be useful at all for smaller sessions (much less than 100 solves, say) because a few very good or bad solves would have a great impact on them. SD is probably the most complicated thing that would matter for comparing people (or judging improvement).

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does it sound silly? I think I can still change the name without causing confusion, so I'm open to suggestions. By the way, have anyone caught a spelling/grammar mistake in the program?
It doesn't sound silly, but it sounds unprofessional. It sounds generic like a lot of timers out there (say, cubetimer), but it's highly more polished than that.

I would suggest something interesting based either on your name (WaSoTimer?), the idea behind the timer (Java Easy Timer - JET!), or something memorable (ChronoSolve), hopefully with a good acronym. Except my suggestions are bad; I'd encourage you hold a short contest on this forum to see if anyone comes up with a nice name.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Absolutely love the corners/edges only scrambles. However the stats displayed needs some changes IMO. Stuff like SD (last 3), Best Time (last 3), and Mean (last 10) are mostly useless and a waste of space at the main display board. You should at least have best average of 5 and 12, and best time in the session.

I would also personally like the display of times to be descending instead of ascending but that's mainly due to habit cultivated through CCT and qqtimer.

Tall5001

Premium Member
WCA
2011METZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great Timer i like it alot more the CCT already. its great and has pretty much everything i want. Plus it remembers your history even when you close it

A few thing i have found wrong in the latest version .3
* PLL and OLL and F2L are all upside down to how most people use them. Most people go white cross on bottom
*There needs to be an easier way to imput manual times.
*Lastly the name im not sure what but something easy to remember because Puzzle Timer is too generic i think

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great timer - needs more of what CCT has! WCA inspection and judge voices: I don't solve well unless Stefan's voice tells me my times! I want to paste scrambles from clipboard and the Undo of CCT allows me to roll back to the last scramble. I like my long solve times in minutes and seconds: a teraminx solve in seconds just looks bad! I'll get involved with some patches as soon as I have some time. Great work.

aronpm

Suggestions:
  1. For blindfolded events, don't show a picture of the scrambled cube. I don't think anybody would cheat and look at that before they start timing but it's still possible.
  2. Allow the order of categories to be changed in the category manager. It would be nice to put my main events at the top of the list for easy access.
  3. Show the best averages in the session, and save space by moving the standard deviation from it's own line to the same line as the average/mean, like "(σ = 2.00)".
  4. Showing the best time out of the last 5/10 solves isn't really necessary.
  5. Group avg5/12 together, and mo3/10, instead of avg5/mo3 and avg12/mo10. Most people don't care about means so keeping the averages together puts the relevant information closer together.
  6. Maybe add the ability to add splits to certain categories? It's a useful feature for some events.