• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] MGLS Discussion and Help

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I'd use that, but I want to be used to going straight to ELS, it's a bit tough to do 3F2L instead of 4F2L for me. Sorry to be a noob, but what's MGLS-F?

MGLS-F is MGLS (Fridrich)
As opposed to MGLS-P, MGLS-ZZ, etc.

MGLS-F I guess would be the de facto variant if you will.

And yes, practicing ELS if you already know it is a good idea.
I'll train CLS as you learn yours. I need to relearn like 10 cases, and get better algs for more. :D
Just tell me when you learn stuff, and I'll revise it to keep myself in shape.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehe.

I just realized that I'm not following the recommended way to learn CLS's, I'm learning them set by set, C, I, Im, O, +. -, is there anything wrong with learning it in this ordr?

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehe.

I just realized that I'm not following the recommended way to learn CLS's, I'm learning them set by set, C, I, Im, O, +. -, is there anything wrong with learning it in this ordr?

Haha - that's fine. If and when you get to +/-/O, I'd recommend -, then O (using mirrors of - for + right now) then finally +.
If you haven't already seen, macky and I got this cool sheet going: http://cubefreak.net/speed/mgls/cls_table.html for -+O. :)

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now I'm not really using a specific method for memorizing. Just looking at the way the algorithm breaks up the pair. That's why I have a whole buncha' trouble with algs like "R' U' R' U R U' R U' R U' R U R2 U' R." If you have a good method for memorizing though you should definitely make a video. Or, I guess a text description would probably be sufficient.

Out of curiosity, how many people use MGLS? If Lucas' list is right, I'm very surprised only two people use MGLS.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right now I'm not really using a specific method for memorizing. Just looking at the way the algorithm breaks up the pair. That's why I have a whole buncha' trouble with algs like "R' U' R' U R U' R U' R U' R U R2 U' R." If you have a good method for memorizing though you should definitely make a video. Or, I guess a text description would probably be sufficient.

Out of curiosity, how many people use MGLS? If Lucas' list is right, I'm very surprised only two people use MGLS.

A video shall be made, but I owe Gears a video firsts. :p
And that list is wayy outdated - it'd be nice to get a decent list.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
When playing around with the KEYHOLE methode I realized that I'm much faster when I didn't care wich 3 secondlayer edges or 3 firstlayer Corners I pace. The result was that my last F2L-Edge has differnt colors then my last F2L-Corner (The intuitiv solution for me was: Edge-Oriemtation + Edge-Permutation + 2 Comutators - but that's not fast)

MGLS seems to be the perfect ending for an Keyhole start.

Is there already someone out there using this?

riffz

WCA
2009HOLT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When playing around with the KEYHOLE methode I realized that I'm much faster when I didn't care wich 3 secondlayer edges or 3 firstlayer Corners I pace. The result was that my last F2L-Edge has differnt colors then my last F2L-Corner (The intuitiv solution for me was: Edge-Oriemtation + Edge-Permutation + 2 Comutators - but that's not fast)

MGLS seems to be the perfect ending for an Keyhole start.

Is there already someone out there using this?

Interesting, but I think if someone went through the trouble of learning MGLS then they would know intuitive F2L...

Oh yes I'm doing intuitiv F2L - but I'm doing it slow. So I believe to speed up F2L you must learn and see alot of F2L algorithems. To
getting rid of this I instead tried to do keyhole. I'm didn't master that, too.

But I tried again after posting, and discoverd, that nowadays when doing EO (intuitivley) before doing the last Slot I can solve the Last slot even when colors not match with out lost of time.

Are you asking about recognition?
Please clarify.
Maby one could call it recognition, but recognition is quite ovious DFR orintation + U-Layer U-Stricker pattern.

But some of your algs start with a U turn, so why? (instead you could rotate the picture).

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Short answer: no good reason.

What list are you using?

http://cubefreak.net/speed/mgls/cls.html
This list contains all the algorithms from Stachu's original doc file (no longer updated), and some more. If the main one here starts with a U turn, there's no good reason except probably that the starting orientation is different from Lucas's.

http://cubefreak.net/speed/mgls/cls_table.html
Here, we clearly have to allow initial U turns. Watch out for some mistakes here. Also, I don't agree with the main algorithm chosen in some cases.

Right now, the easiest way to find algorithms for a particular case is to first find an algorithm using the table, then Ctrl-f for it in the more complete list. I'll work on something better one of these days. In general, if there are edits to make to Stachu's list, for now I'll be the one eventually making them. So you can also notify me directly.