• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
I need help making my time better... I use reduction(6 edge pairing method) followed by fridrich F2l then 3look LL.

My average is about 3 mins and i think I've finished reduction at around 1:30-1:45.. the rest is all 3x3x3.. which i think i'll improve on one day..

In my reduction, my centers are very slow... about 30-40 seconds.. :( So i'd like some center solving tips please...

With edges i've been practicing looking forward so that's getting better imo..

So overall I'd like some reduction tips :)

Or if someone wants to suggest I learn a different method that's great...

RobinBloehm

WCA
2008BLOH02
I really like the Pochmann-Method for centers, you almost never have to look around the cube, I average about 20-25 seconds without much practice, it's very fast if you use the tips given on the bottom of the page:

http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spocc/speedsolving/4x4_centers/

For edge-paring, I switched back from 6 edges at a time to 2-pair-method, but I don't think that's faster, it's about the same for me, use what feels better to you. I switched because I want to improve on 5x5 edge-paring at the same time, so it would be nonsense to use different systems on those two cubes.

Good luck, Robin

ROOT

i love stefan pochmanns centers method. practice lookahead by going slower than usual as well as working on your move smoothness. also you can do 6 at a time, but learn 2 at a time as well. use both 2 and 6. also try out changing your edge pairing from horizontal to vertical or vice versa. just try new things. i think you should also use 2 at a time more than 6, you cant always finish with 6 at a time. oh and look at bicubes.com, especially putting 2 finished edge groups in the back two slots you also slice on so you dont have to look back there, also practice.

alexc

WCA
2008COOK01
I average about 20-25 seconds on the centers. Really easy, not hard to get to that level. My dedges are about 45-60 seconds. On a good solve, I can finish the reduction in about 1:00-1:10. Just practice the centers, and you will eventually learn to recognize and solve easy patterns.

Crzyazn

WOW i've never tried pochmann's method before....

I average around 40sec for centers using Chris Hardwick's method and this new method seems like a breath of fresh air

Now I've imrpvoed with my centers and can solve in around 27 seconds and finish my dedges at 1:20-1:30.. I find dedges much easier now for some reason.. anyway, my 3x3x3 on the 4x4x4 is still bad.. takes 50 seconds without parity :( But i average sub-40 on a real 3x3x3

n00bcubix

WCA
2008JUNH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay so my breakdowns are...

Centers: Around 20 seconds
Edges: Anywhere around 40-60( depends on look ahead :p)
3x3: 35 seconds maximum with OP and PP (oll parity, pll parity)

Is there anything specific to work on or should i keep working on my look ahead?

HelloiamChow

Well, instead of starting my own thread, I guess I'll ask my question here because I too need 4x4 help.

My breakdown is around

Centers + Edges - 42-50s
3x3 - 25s

Is the key to going sub60 in the 3x3 phase? Or should I work more on edges. I wouldn't say I've ever "formally" learned a edges method. I just use a intuitive 2 at a time thing. Should I get a better cube to decrease my 3x3 time? I'd like to be in the 60s by Nationals.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

n00bcubix

WCA
2008JUNH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your insane man, i would say (idk why imma say this) to work on edges and getting faster 3x3. What do you avg for 3x3, as in a real 3x3, not stimulated into a 4x4

Last edited:

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I wish my 3x3 was this fast... I have mid 30s reductions, and around 30s 3x3s. It really annoys me. You all need to work on optimizations, as I think the amount of moves you are doing takes too much time.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
comparing with my or other people's breakdown I'd say pairing is your worst step. I'd work on that, but..
As Dene said and where I agree with, centres are easy to practise. Just practise colour neutralness, follow the normal steps (centre, opposite one, then the rest one by one), and try to work in blocks of 1x2 + lookahead can get your centres times down a bit pretty fast. In the long term Pairing is the most important step of course and since you also need centres to do pairing.. ;) you hit 2 flies in one hit (Dutch expression translated..)

blah

brah
okay i feel retarded, my centers take more than 1 minute, and that's with practise, before i practised it was more than 2 mins. any good site with tips and tricks for centers?

HelloiamChow

Yeah, I guess when I do centers I always have to start on either yellow or white, I should change that. Mid30's reduction. I can do that. My next goal.