• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] MGLS Discussion and Help

deepSubDiver

I just set up an example solve with my own variation.

Code:
Scramble:
	R' L2 D B' F R D R D2 F R' D' R B2 U2 F' B2 R2 U' D2 F2 L U2 B2 U'

EOLine:
	x2 y L' F L' B' D' F
LH F2L:
	R2 U R L U' R U2 R U' L2
CP:
	L U' R' U L'
F2l minus slot:
	U R2 U' R2
ELS:
	U R U' R'
CLS:
	U2 R U2 R' U R U2 R' U2 R U R'
U-perm

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you explain the purpose of MGLS, and what benefit it has? I don't see how it's an improvement over regular fridrich, and in fact it seems worse to me, plus it also has more algorithms than regular OLL.

It's not supposed an improvement (nor a dis-improvement), it's just alternate way of doing LS+OLL. Although there are more algorithms to learn, many of the algorithms are quite easy to learn... and yes <R,U> is sexy. :p

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I strongly considered learning this for OH and learned a bunch of algs for it. (Somewhere between 20-30. I don't really remember)
But I strayed away from it for two reasons.
1. I wanted to use COLL for OH since I was already learning CLL for 2x2 at the time
2. I realized that instead of spending time learning new algs, I could just spend that time practicing my OLLs, or learning a few new algs for bad cases.

I'm not saying that its bad idea to learn MGLS, but I just saw practicing OLLs as a better investment of my time instead of learning algs, and then getting them fast after that.
I do wish that I had learned MGLS instead of OLL though.

Last edited:

oprah62

WCA
2010PEDR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I strongly considered learning this for OH and learned a bunch of algs for it. (Somewhere between 20-30. I don't really remember)
1. I wanted to use COLL for OH since I was already learning CLL for 2x2 at the time
2. I realized that instead of spending time learning new algs, I could just spend that time practicing my OLLs, or learning a few new algs for bad cases.

I'm not saying that its bad idea to learn MGLS, but I just saw practicing OLLs as a better investment of my time instead of learning algs, and then getting them fast after that.

yeah you're right about OH tech for coll vs. mgls, however some case s for cls and els are soooo easy its good to know because you can benefit from that, as the first example shown, the els is super easy

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel

These kinda represent my thoughts. Right now, I care about OH more than anything else right now, as I haven't improved in 2H in forever.
However, I've decided to do MGLS rather than OLL, just to see how it turns out.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can I just request that all of the pertinent information from these posts (including the replies) be posted on the MGLS wiki page? The whole purpose of a wiki is to be a central location for information, and spread out amongst forum posts isn't quite centralized. It makes it easier for those noobs who get flamed without searching properly (which can be quite difficult if you use speedsolving.com instead of speedsolving.com/forum or whatever because the google search bar only displays on the forum subdirectory, not on the speedsolving index) due to the vbSearch deal not working out so great.

nck

OH using ZZ+MGLS can be very sexy though...2gen+2gen+some more 2gen
although OH plls aren't as smexy as u perms

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
OH using ZZ+MGLS can be very sexy though...2gen+2gen+some more 2gen
Oh yes, here's how I imagine my solves once I'm done with CLS:

EO. May require a rotation for efficiency.
F2L-1slot. 3-gen. No rotating.
CLS - 2-gen. No rotating (except for a few cases, really).
PLL - no rotating (1-look PLL recog, alg, AUF)

See a trend? No rotating.
Basically, I've noticed that I usually spend far too much time rotating in CFOP and other method solves, so now I plan to jump all the way to the other extreme.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
EO. May require a rotation for efficiency.

No rotations is great, but I don't think all of those algs are worth it. Besides, you will probably rotate during EO line.
I do my line separate, because I'm a nub, during F2L, and it requires no rotation.
So basically, the only "necessary" rotation will be during EO, which should be completely planned out in inspection.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
how do you solve after your EO line? do you insert edges and do f2l or blockbuild? just curious.
I do EO by itself.
Then I basically do the line at once, basically getting one part of the line at DR and one at DL, and doing a ADF (adjust down face).
But that's really inefficient, so I'm going to eventually switch that.

After EOLine, I do the left block in its entirety, most of the time. It's a mixture between block-building and F2L, but mainly F2L. Eventually, I'll make it so it's with more block-building.

Then I get the 1x2x2 in the back-right-down(DR, BR, DBR) with blockbuilding.
Then I do the FR slot, trying to see if I happen to know either
a) a F2LL (WV) case that I know, or
b) a CLS case that I know (pretty much the I and Im)

then I apply those, and move onto LL.

I cannot find an easy list of any of the CLS algorithms, does anybody know a good source? And also, ELS can be shortened to only 16 algorithms using the fairly intuitive connected cases of VHF2L

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I cannot find an easy list of any of the CLS algorithms, does anybody know a good source? And also, ELS can be shortened to only 16 algorithms using the fairly intuitive connected cases of VHF2L
http://cube.garron.us/MGLS/
click the little cubes in the top (with +, -, O, etc)

I'm personally busy compiling a list of my favorite CLS algs, with pictures, to be printable, if you can wait a day or so. Just learn the I and Im cases first, if you want to start now.

Sir E Brum

WCA
2010HANN01
I have considered using this method with ZZ, but there was one major turn off. Rotations. ZZ was designed as a method that could be executed with no rotations. In fact, every solve I do is rotationless except when I get this COLL case. I use R U y R U' R' U R U2 R' U' R U R' F'. The fact that you are solving the CLS in MGLS means you have a 75% chance of your rotation being off. And it leaves you with a PLL. I much prefer solving the last slot normally and doing COLL + EPLL over MGLS + PLL.