• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] MGLS Discussion and Help

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello SpeedSolving,

Because I feel that MGLS has not been seriously discussed, apart from various threads full of demeaning nonesense initially somewhat related to MGLS, and I have a general liking for the "method," and would like to see it advance as far as users, I've decided that this would be a good thread to make. MGLS is quite versatile, and can be used efficiently in CFOP, Petrus, and ZZ. (actually, pretty much anything besides Roux and CF. It just...isn't all that useful for those methods)
If you don't already have a basic understanding of MGLS, let me try and tell you here what it is:

ELS and CLS are two terms that you need to know to really survive in this thread.

ELS - Say you have the first 2 layers of a cube done, apart from one "slot" (an edge and corner adjacent to each other usually shown in the DFR and FR positions. When one does ELS, then place the FR edge in, while also orienting all last-layer edges.

CLS - Say you have the F2L done, apart from one (usually the DFR) corner, and you also have the last-layer edges oriented. When one does CLS, they will be placing the (DFR) corner into its correct spot, correctly oriented, thus finishing F2L, all-the-while orienting all 4 last-layer corners. This leaves one to only have PLL left.

If one were to use MGLS in full in a CFOP/Fridrich solve, it would consist of:
Cross, 3 F2L slots, CLS, ELS, PLL

If one were to use MGLS in a Petrus or ZZ solve, where the edges are already (inherently by the basic steps of the methods) oriented, they would simply throw the edge with {R,U} moves, then proceed to CLS.

Please, do not let this thread turn cancerous. Please read through the above posts, and a few before the time of your post, so you understand a good bit. I hope to have cleared up some things that people apparently didn't get about the method, and explain'd stuffz gud.

-statue.

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Concerning not-3x3x3 2H

MGLS for OH:
expect stuff here. Erm, for now, I'll just say the following:
2-gen is sexy.
Also, if you're doing RH OH, like me, just doing a z', then treating U as R and L as U works out pretty well, imo.

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Example solves

Scramble:
U D F' B L' F D2 U2 R2 U2 R' U' L R2 D2 L2 D' R2 D U B U' L' R U'
Solution with MGLS-F:
x-cross: D' F2 U' R2 (4)
F2L 2: U2 R' U' R U2 R' U R (8/12)
F2L 3: U' R U R' d' R' U' R (8/20)
ELS: y' f (R U R' U') f' (6/26)
CLS: L D' L' U L D L' (7/33) "+ case"
then 9-move Aperm (9/42)
quite lucky, really. (I actually found a 34-move solution to this the first time I solved it, but not using this method, so..anyway, it was...basically, do the above until after ELS, then z' x r U R' U' r' F R F')

Scramble:
U L2 R2 F' B' L' D' F U2 R2 B D2 B D2 F' U F' B2 R' U' R D L U' D2

Solution with MGLS-ZZ:
EO: y2 B' R F (3/3)
Line: U2 r x (2/5)
F2L 1: L R U2 L2 (4/9)
F2L 2: U L U2 L' U L (6/15)
F2L 3: R' U' R' U R2 U R'(7/22)
ELS: U'R U' R' (3/27)
CLS: y U R U R' U2 R U R' (8/35)
PLL: U + Aperm (10/45)

Scramble:
L F' U2 F' L2 F R2 B F L R2 B2 U2 B R2 B' F' D' B' D' L' B2 U L2 R'
Solution with MGLS-P:
2x2x2: B' R2 U2 D' R2 F (6)
2x2x3: z2 y F' U R' U' R' y R' F R (8/14)
EO: L' y' R U R' (4/16)
up to LS: y' U' R2 U R' U' R U' R' U R (10/24)
ELS: U2 R U2 R' (4/28)
CLS: R2 U R' U R2 U' R2 U R' U2 R2 (11/39)
PLL: Jperm - U2 R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R L (11/50)

If you have links to add, solutions with various methods, or pretty much anything to add to these first few posts, please say so in a post or something.

Okay, I'm done my initial posting. Feel free to discuss, etc. (don't discuss whether this is a "method" or "step" or whatever. It's MGLS, damnit, and that's all that's needed to know)

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
MGLS sounds interesting; I might consider learning it. But what is their really to discuss?
I'm glad you ask.

-the benefits/downfalls of using it
-the creation of algs
-having fun telling each other our progressions
-helping each other out with ways to recognize certain cases
--and how to memorize them
-variations and usages of it
-move count (average)
-whether {R,U} should be used as much as possible, or if that's not beneficial, to optimize move-count
etc, etc.

Mostly, really this thread is to encourage new users, while discussing if it's beneficial in situation x, but not in y. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool. Personally, I'll try to get some intuitive algs down, memorize some, etc. and then come back to this thread.
Intuitive algs for CLS and ELS shouldn't really be all that hard, really, and could be very beneficial.

For CLS,
Just basically take out a pair, mess it up, put it back in messed up (corner rotated, or not even in F2L) and see what happens.

For ELS, basically...just...do work. (3-gen is nice)

Zarxrax

Could you explain the purpose of MGLS, and what benefit it has? I don't see how it's an improvement over regular fridrich, and in fact it seems worse to me, plus it also has more algorithms than regular OLL.

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you explain the purpose of MGLS, and what benefit it has? I don't see how it's an improvement over regular fridrich, and in fact it seems worse to me, plus it also has more algorithms than regular OLL.

ELS is very easy to grasp and CLS algs can be fully 2-gen and very fast, from what I understand, at least.
Honestly, I find that it's much more beneficial with ZZ or Petrus rather than CFOP, but as nlCuber said, the 2-gen-ness is pretty nice.
Also the algorithms are *very* easy to memorize. (most, of course)

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
plus it also has more algorithms than regular OLL.

i found that most of them are intuitive. ell is extremely easy to do intuitivly; cll is a bit harder but manageable
all of the I and Im cases should be pretty easy intuitively found (but backwards. It's not gonna be all "hrm, for this case....I'll try...this" but more like "hrm. Imma do this. Okay, that's cool. I'll use it for its inverse now)
The rest, enh.