• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

speedcubes.net (new website)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been working on a few cubing websites for a while, one is now somewhat ready. Example views:

3x3x3 centers: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3&compare=center
3x3x3 names: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3
3x3x3 summaries: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3&summaries=1
3x3x3 cube4you: http://speedcubes.net/model.php?puzzle=3x3x3&model=1

The site's goal is to offer competent help with these common questions:
Identification: What cube is this? How does cube X look like?
Source: Where can I get cube X?
Evaluation: How good is cube X? What is the best cube?

Though regarding that last aspect, the introduction page quickly adds that there's no globally best cube and why.

Besides the technological advantages I see over forum threads and wikis, I also like the idea of independence. We here have our own stuff spread across the site, the Germans, the Vietnamese and quite possibly other communities have their own as well. I'd like to bring us all together in a nicely done place, to get more and better information.

There's still a lot to do, but due to new motivation I finally at least got it to a reasonable and useful state to show. And I'm working on it. Check out the News page for a brief plan of how I intend to progress, check out the other pages for more explanations.

Last edited:
A

andyt1992

when i get my uk store site up and running we'll have to swap links. your site is cool now there might be less "which is" and "where are" and "how do I" threads.

P

PeterV

Looks great, Stefan! I've had a quick look around the site and I'm quite impressed with it. Keep up the good work!

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
I like it! Excellent work, especially with the detailed photos! I'm looking forward to seeing the new ratings system - its something the community has long been needing.

My only worry is that a site managed by a single person always runs the risk of becoming stagnant if the maintainer loses interest and moves on. Are there any plans to allow for user accounts so that others can add cubes, images etc? If this were possible, it would make it a great community resource.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Excellent work, especially with the detailed photos!
Thanks. I'm fairly happy with them, though I might retake some I'm not so happy with. Still getting used to my camera. But first I'll of course add stuff that's not there yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new ratings system - its something the community has long been needing.
Well, yours isn't bad. But yeah, I do think it's better with a good database and interface, and combined with a model catalog. I'm glad you're interested in this, cause I'm interested in starting off with the data you've collected already. Thinking of importing it and have people confirm/update the data in the new system. Possibly changing rating aspects in the process, for example if you think that a scale should be renamed or replaced. I hope you're ok with this and we can talk about that a bit later, right now adding and validating/correcting puzzle data is the priority.

My only worry is that a site managed by a single person always runs the risk of becoming stagnant if the maintainer loses interest and moves on. Are there any plans to allow for user accounts so that others can add cubes, images etc? If this were possible, it would make it a great community resource.
Yes, like briefly mentioned in the plan on the News page, I do intend and hope for others to participate. I imagine the usual structure roughly with these capabilities:

Administrator/Host: Me. Can obviously do everything.
Moderators: Selected competent people I trust. Can add/update data (includes accepting what normal users have submitted).
All users: Everyone. Can rate their puzzles, submit puzzle names/pics/data/links/comments, flag links/names/etc as correct or wrong.

Haven't decided on the details, that will come step by step and I'll see how it goes and adapt. But you get the idea. Ideally, I provide the system but aren't necessary for maintaining it (doesn't mean I won't, just that I'm not needed).

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice job, and thanks for the reviews.

Hmm, there aren't any reviews yet. I've been thinking about letting people submit reviews along with their rating, like it's done at for example Amazon or general product review sites. Possibly also letting people rate and comment on reviews so you'll see the "most helpful positive/negative review". But that might be overkill, so I haven't decided yet.

koreancuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice job, and thanks for the reviews.

Hmm, there aren't any reviews yet. I've been thinking about letting people submit reviews along with their rating, like it's done at for example Amazon or general product review sites. Possibly also letting people rate and comment on reviews so you'll see the "most helpful positive/negative review". But that might be overkill, so I haven't decided yet.

Ok, but if you want a review, I have one about Type C I and a Type A V. http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18904

D

Deleted member 2864

Really plain atm, but I'm sure the site will grow. It's nice that you have a general plan for the site's future too :D

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, but if you want a review, I have one about Type C I and a Type A V. http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18904
I was thinking more of rather short textual reviews. If someone has more to say and discuss or show in photos or even video, I think forum threads or youtube are still better for that. But that could be linked to or embedded. In any case, I'm still what I consider stage 2, so ratings/reviews shall come a little later (in a few days, I hope). Particularly I first want to be sure that the models are accurately named so people don't rate the wrong model, and that the links to shops are accurate so that people don't buy the wrong thing (wrong in the sense of wanting something else). That's why there's stage 2 and the red warning on the top of every page.

It's nice that you have a general plan for the site's future too :D
Well, I've been thinking about it every now and then in the past year or so, and I have a fairly clear vision of what I want to do. I'd say it's all rather straight-forward, though, and if speedcubing were a company, this might exist already.

Now... back to work.

daniel0731ex

great site! there is just one more thing that counld be better is that maybe you could put the brief description and comaprison about the type Cs (original, normal, retooled, and ver.1.5)

also, the "unknown" cube is a Type D.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
great site! there is just one more thing that counld be better is that maybe you could put the brief description and comaprison about the type Cs (original, normal, retooled, and ver.1.5)
Yes, definitely. Though if models actually differ (in how they look/feel/behave), then I intend to actually treat them as different models. I'm not particularly familiar with these models and I think I think I only have one or two of them, but I'll check it out when I get to it. I'm covering the puzzles in somewhat random order and it just takes some time.

Thanks. I suspected that, but this is one I bought from ebay with no name given, so I wasn't sure. I do have one or two that I bought as "D", still want to compare that. Just in case I do see tiny differences, I'll replace the pictures with those of the cube I know is a D. But it's good to have your judgment, I do know you're familiar with many models.

Preparing more stuff now, will probably upload tomorrow.

daniel0731ex

Yes, definitely. Though if models actually differ (in how they look/feel/behave), then I intend to actually treat them as different models. I'm not particularly familiar with these models and I think I think I only have one or two of them, but I'll check it out when I get to it. I'm covering the puzzles in somewhat random order and it just takes some time.

actually, i meant putting them all under the type C page,
just add brief descriptions about the differences in center pieces.

Thanks. I suspected that, but this is one I bought from ebay with no name given, so I wasn't sure. I do have one or two that I bought as "D", still want to compare that. Just in case I do see tiny differences, I'll replace the pictures with those of the cube I know is a D. But it's good to have your judgment, I do know you're familiar with many models.

Preparing more stuff now, will probably upload tomorrow.

the key to be able to identify different cubes is to pay attention to small details and read a lot of posts about cubes:p

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what i meant is to put them all under the type C page.
just brief descriptions about the differences in center pieces.
If that's the only difference and doesn't affect the feel/behaviour, then yes I'll just describe it on the same model page and add a picture showing the differences.

the key to be able to identify different cubes is to pay attention to small details and read a lot of posts about cubes :D
Yeah, and sometimes the differences are indeed really small, like the Sheng En fakes or these:

center.jpg

center.jpg