• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to teach newbies [or how to make cube disciples]

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm creating this topic to share toughts on how to teach beginners to solve the cube.

Feel free to share ideas about what methods to teach, and what techniques to use when teaching people of different ages.

So I want to share an idea...

When teaching the cross, showing how to solve the last cross piece. So the person will only have to worry about solving one piece without disturbing the others. as the person learns to solve all the possible cases intuitively you can show shortcuts when you have freedom in the beggining of the cross...

I'll try to work on a scrambler for cross-1 piece. When it is ready i'll post it here.

-------------

Last layer:

(Clicky)

I loved these videos. I think an easy way to teach a begginer to solve the last layer is:

EO - F sexy F' / f sexy f' / F sexy F' -> f sexy f',
EP - Sune
CO - Sexy move with D turns
CP - 2 D corners swap -> 2 D corners swap

Really easy to remember

Last edited:
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
When teaching the cross, showing how to solve the last cross piece. So the person will only have to worry about solving one piece without disturbing the others. as the person learns to solve all the possible cases intuitively you can show shortcuts when you have freedom in the beggining of the cross...

I'll try to work on a scrambler for cross-1 piece. When it is ready i'll post it here.

All last cross piece insertion setups, 11 cases not counting AUFs

F
F'
F2

D R D'
D' L' D
D R' D'
D' L D
L2 F L2
R2 F' R2

F' R U R'
F D' L D

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Filipe Teixeira,

It is an honor to finally be able to engage in conversation with you for the first time. (I've seen your posts, and I admire your positive attitude.)

Anyway, what do you think about having them repeat a 12-cycle to solve (or at least correctly place) the first edge, an 11-cycle to (...) the second edge, a 10-cycle for the third, and a 9-cycle for the fourth?

I am referring to my newly updated beginner's solution which I provide a link to in this post. (And I also explain in that post a little more about what can be done.)

People can maybe use an in depth computer search to find easier/shorter sequences to repeat, but since they all begin with L' R' D, I figured that would be less confusing for first time solvers.

Of course, I do provide 33 first four edge cases in the previous version of my guide which basically lays out "cube common sense". . . just in case those two pages of cases and algorithms is what you are asking for.

Last edited:
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Filipe Teixeira,

It is an honor to finally be able to engage in conversation with you for the first time. (I've seen your posts, and I admire your positive attitude.)

Anyway, what do you think about having them repeat a 12-cycle to solve (or at least correctly place) the first edge, an 11-cycle to (...) the second edge, a 10-cycle for the third, and a 9-cycle for the fourth?

I am referring to my newly updated beginner's solution which I provide a link to in this post. (And I also explain in that post a little more about what can be done.)

People can maybe use an in depth computer search to find easier/shorter sequences to repeat, but since they all begin with L' R' D, I figured that would be less confusing for first time solvers.

Of course, I do provide 33 first four edge cases in the previous version of my guide which basically lays out "cube common sense". . . just in case those two pages of cases and algorithms is what you are asking for.

Wow, thanks for the kind words! :D

It seems like a inovative idea that can be further developed, just like sexy move method.

But it seems unpractical to me ATM because a beginner had to learn 4 different algs and repeat it max 11 times...

One day I was teaching a friend how to solve corners of bottom layer. I was teaching him to repeat sexy move 5 times to solve corner facing front. Then my dad (that knows how to solve) turned to me an said "why not just do F' U' F??"
My friend looked at me thinking "wow, it was that simple?" xD

As a proof of concept it seems nice but talking about beginners psychology, it doesn't seem like a good idea... :|

I made my solution guides (available on sgscubing.tk) they are not that detailed because I wanted them to fit on 2 A4 pages in an A5 booklet but they have worked.

I have these resources too

Begginer 4LLL cheat sheet (portuguese... sorry)
http://filipeteixeira.com.br/cubehelper/

OCLL with sune/ant-sune
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...ner-orientation-with-sune-and-antisune.47991/

Last edited:

cubo

Actually you dont even need Sune:

EO - F sexy F’
EP - sexy U’ sexy
Last 5 corners with sexy (and some cube rotations, 1/4 adjustments)