• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Molecube Help needed!!

James Ub

I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum, but everyone here seems very good at cubing, so I am pretty sure there should be someone who can help me with this. I've just learned and somewhat mastered the beginner's method from the internet using the following orders. (1. White Edges, 2. White Corners, 3. Second Layer, 4. Yellow Cross, 5. Swap Yellow Edges, 6. Position Yellow Corners, 7. Orient Yellow Corners.) I am vvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry far from speedcubing level.

Now I am trying to do the Molecube (aka Nine Color Cube, Ball Sudoku Cube, etc.)
using the algorithms I learned from the regular 3x3x3 cube, I solved it a few times but sometimes (70% of the time) when I get to the last layer with every colors in the right place including the edges, I am left with two corner pieces that need to be swapped. This part is very similar to "6. Position Yellow Corners part" for regular cube, except that in regular cube's case, there seems to be only three possible cases (only one corner piece in the correct position, or none, or all in the correct position, I can always solve this with U R U' L' U R' U' L algorithm)
when in molecube's case, there are two corner pieces in the correct position and the rest of two corner pieces have to be swapped with each other. I cannot find an algorithm for this.

In short, when all other pieces are in the correct position, how do you swap two corner pieces in the last layer without moving the other pieces?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

tnk351

If this happens, that means you need to also switch 2 balls with the same color.
Example:Screenshot_20180510-191836.png
(On this "cube", trapezoids are like edges on the 3x3)
I need to switch edge 1 with edge 2, but since you can't swap 2 pieces. I need to also swap edge 3 and edge 4.

Last edited:

James Ub

Thank you so much for your reply. Let me insert pictures for better understanding of the situation. So, for this "molecube" you are supposed to have every color (nine) on each face of the cube. 8 colors have 3 balls each and green has 2 balls each. I am sometimes stuck on the following situation where every other colors are in position except the two corners. (in this case, A and B) they need to be swapped for this cube to be solved. whenever this happens, I have to scramble the cube again and try to re-solve it and only when i'm lucky, I'm not left with this situation and I solve it easily, but sometimes I am left with these two wrong corners. Could you tell me how I could solve the cube from this?

1.jpg 2.jpg

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
I don't have this puzzle, but @tnk351 gave you a good hint there. Check the spoiler for my thoughts on your solution unless you want to work through it yourself with that hint.

Try holding the cube with light blue center in front and orange center on top, and doing R' D R (E-perm) R' D' R.
This will swap A and B and also swap the two green balls.

tnk351

Thank you so much for your reply. Let me insert pictures for better understanding of the situation. So, for this "molecube" you are supposed to have every color (nine) on each face of the cube. 8 colors have 3 balls each and green has 2 balls each. I am sometimes stuck on the following situation where every other colors are in position except the two corners. (in this case, A and B) they need to be swapped for this cube to be solved. whenever this happens, I have to scramble the cube again and try to re-solve it and only when i'm lucky, I'm not left with this situation and I solve it easily, but sometimes I am left with these two wrong corners. Could you tell me how I could solve the cube from this?

View attachment 9103 View attachment 9104
You need to switch the purple edge next to the blue center and the purple edge next to corner B.
The purple edge near corner B is supposed to be in the second layer. While the one near the blue center is supposed to be in the third.

Skittleskp

WCA
2019PATE10
YouTube
Visit Channel
to fix parity on this cube you need to swap a purple ball with a purple ball or a red ball with a red ball or the green corner with a green corner. This seems to do nothing at first but it fixes last layer parity.

edit: spoiler removed

SnakeyCuber

I also have molecube but the edges are switched. If you know 4x4 parity that's what I mean. My fingers are touching the swaped ones.

Attachments

• 20211130_213320.jpg
    20211130_213320.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0