• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does anyone else just memorize the whole cube+colors for 3BLD? I do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, no. In speedBLD, you typically trace the positions of the pieces up front as you work out your solution. So you wind up with a very fast solve after memorizing - one that can theoretically be significantly faster than a normal speedsolve (if you don't have memory recall pauses). The way the OP here is describing, you memorize the starting positions of all the pieces, then trace their positions as you solve blindfolded, leading to a very slow solve after memorizing.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually, no. In speedBLD, you typically trace the positions of the pieces up front as you work out your solution. So you wind up with a very fast solve after memorizing - one that can theoretically be significantly faster than a normal speedsolve (if you don't have memory recall pauses). The way the OP here is describing, you memorize the starting positions of all the pieces, then trace their positions as you solve blindfolded, leading to a very slow solve after memorizing.
Good point. I've always read the name as a fast way of doing blind but if you look at execution only then it is indeed speedy and blindy.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The way the OP here is describing, you memorize the starting positions of all the pieces, then trace their positions as you solve blindfolded, leading to a very slow solve after memorizing.
Not watched it but I'm taking this description as accurate. When I tried to do BLD before looking up tutorials this is pretty much what I did. I went through the pieces in a certain order and visually remembered where a certain sticker of it was (U/D mostly, F/B for the E slice), then kept track of where the pieces were as I was solving them in whatever order I felt like. It's extremely slow and awful so I don't recommend it!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not watched it but I'm taking this description as accurate. When I tried to do BLD before looking up tutorials this is pretty much what I did. I went through the pieces in a certain order and visually remembered where a certain sticker of it was (U/D mostly, F/B for the E slice), then kept track of where the pieces were as I was solving them in whatever order I felt like. It's extremely slow and awful so I don't recommend it!
The video does look very suspect. Lots of unnecessary moves as though he is looking for pieces with his eyes. Strange rotations. It's just odd.

U

Underwatercuber

The video was super suspicious, if you did track the pieces I would suspect pauses far more often in far greater length than in your video. You did the whole thing relatively fast and the way you kept turning the cube reminded me of a sighted solve. I also noticed how when you put the cube down you started looking at all the sides, and then pulled off the blindfold, it almost looks like you peeked under a blindfold the whole time and when you finished you forgot that it was supposed to look like you couldn’t see lol. I would recommend making a solve video showing the scramble, memo and solution (even if it’s dnf) and posting that if you want to prove it’s not fake. I’m personally not interested in the tutorial idea because it’s just not a good method.

Status
Not open for further replies.