• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] XMan Galaxy Megaminx V2 (sculpted)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I just got this today. Initial impressions: It is noticeably smaller than other megaminxes, but I don't think that's as much of a problem as I might have expected. Out of the box it is probably the smoothest megaminx I've tried, including after setup. Normally when I change anything with megaminx it results in a temporary increase in times, but I've been running on average around 3:20, my first solve on this out of the box was 2:59. I'm inconsistent enough that that's not really notable, except that it was my first solve on this puzzle. I have some 3x1.5mm n52 magnets that will be a tight fit, but I think they'll work. Thickness of the plastic between the magnets is 0.089".

I'm bothered by the lightness of the tan pieces on my Yuxin megaminx (too close to the white). This has a darker tan, and major kudos to X-man for including extra black pieces! Not sure exactly how I'll use them, but I'm pretty sure I will. Maybe just replace grey, maybe move grey over to replace tan and replace grey with black. Might even replace white with black, and grey with white.

Edit: Only 5 solves in, but I can definitely say that this is the best puzzle out of the box that I've ever owned. I still think that my Yuxin 5 M is a better puzzle, but I had to magnetize and set that one up. I've done nothing but solve this, and I'm seriously wondering if I even want to bother putting magnets in it, it's that good.

Purchased from Magiccubemall, if that matters.

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
This is the second megaminx by Xman. Review:
After having the X-Man Galaxy v2 for a month now here are my thoughts.
(1) Out of the box it was much smaller then the v1 and at first I did not think that I was going to enjoy it as much as my v1, due to my hands being used to the larger v1. It took me about 2 dozen solves to get used to the feel and turning style of it, but once I was used to it, it was instantly my main. Now after having done around 100-200 solves it is a really wonderful and enjoyable cube to speedsolve.
(2) First turns on it were really smooth and buttery but it was to tight for me, so after I loosened it I really enjoyed the flexibility and corner cutting of it and I have only had a few corner twists, (But that is more due to my loser tensions and rough turning style).
(3) Now that the cube is broken in pretty well and lube/set up, I have not been able to go back to the v1 because for me the turning is better and I do not lock up as much as I did with the v1. I have broken my PB's single and average several times, with a pb single of 1:10.57.
(4) I really wish that I had a magnetized version of this cube. I believe that with magnets the performance can be a little better and more stable. Hopefully soon I will have a magnetized version and I can review it.
But even with out magnets I would still highly recommend this cube to anyone that (a) wants a new top of the market Megaminx. (b) Has smaller hands or that likes cube that are smaller in hand when solving.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I would still highly recommend this cube to anyone that . . . . (b) Has smaller hands or that likes cube that are smaller in hand when solving.

I generally prefer larger 3x3s, and at least thicker outer layers on my big cubes. I never had a Galaxy v1 to compare the v2 to, but the v2 is an instant main over my Yuxin on either size or turning quality.